How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 10:02 PM
gcookaustin

Unhappy Fuel gauge isn't so "pessimistic" after all..

I went apartment hunting around the UT area this afternoon. Found a nice place I'll probably lease for a year. Now I go back to car to drive off. Now keep in mind the fuel light has been on but only for about 50 miles. SVX won't start. Right near the middle of downtown and I have to walk like a mile to the nearest gas station. You would think with it being "in the city" that there would be some kind of store or SOMETHING nearby, but no nuh uh all the gas stations and wal-marts are very far away. But at least it wasn't something else keeping it from starting.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I think I would trust the light before I trust my fuel gauge. my first tank of gas (filled up on E) only gave me around 300km and about $24 to fill. Now I get 500km per tank and about $42 to fill. (Canadian measurements)
Old 06-18-2002, 10:29 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Garrett,

Light comes on at about 2.8 Gallons left or so. At 18MPG in the city x 2.8 = 50.4 miles.

I think 2.8 Gallons before empty is pretty pessimistic...

VK
Old 06-19-2002, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I think I would trust the light before I trust my fuel gauge. my first tank of gas (filled up on E) only gave me around 300km and about $24 to fill. Now I get 500km per tank and about $42 to fill. (Canadian measurements)
I'd love to be able to fill an SVX for £20...........
Old 06-19-2002, 02:21 AM
punisher

You know, if you want to take care of your car, i'd think you wouldnt let it get to anything less than half empty before a fill up. Letting it run down like that constantly will kill your engine (not sure what specific parts) faster.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vkykam
[B]

Vkykam,

I know where my hotel room is. The Beautiful Naviguesser will be in the Presidential Suite. I will be sleeping in the car in order to afford it. I hope she lets me use the bathroom in the mornings, otherwise no one will want to be near me.

Larry III
Old 06-19-2002, 04:44 AM

Angry Kill your motor ??

Quote:
Originally posted by punisher
You know, if you want to take care of your car, i'd think you wouldnt let it get to anything less than half empty before a fill up. Letting it run down like that constantly will kill your engine (not sure what specific parts) faster.
Wot ?? Why ?? I mean you might drag some crap from the tank into the fuel filter but then what ??
Old 06-19-2002, 07:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Yup 2.8gal will get you far on the highways, but in stop and go traffic, I wouldn't push it to 50 miles. I pushed it one time on the highway and got about 60-70 miles before it left me on the shoulder. Another 5 miles and I would've made it to my favorite QT. Luckily, it had just enough gas left in the lines to let me restart it a few minutes later and run just long enough to take the exit and roll into a parking lot.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Light comes on at about 2.8 Gallons left or so. At 18MPG in the city x 2.8 = 50.4 miles.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:58 AM
red95svx

half empty?????

Punisher,

Don't let your tank get below half empty? Ok, so maybe if you ran your tank to the gas light all the time you COULD be picking up some foreign material that has settled at the bottom. But at half full (or empty for you pessimists out there) you have a long way to go before you would be sucking up anything harmful. Besides, thats what fuel filters are for Sonds like you make way to many trips to the gas station....esp. on long drives.

David
Old 06-19-2002, 03:58 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Here's my nickel's worth if anyone is interested: The pump sucks from the bottom no matter how much/little fuel is in the tank. Gasoline, as is true for all petrochemicals that I know of, is hygroscopic, in other words it absorbs moisture. The lower the fuel level, the more atmosphere is present in the tank and the more moisture available to be absorbed. Water in the fuel is really not a good performance idea and can lead to pump failure.

Additional comment: All cars run better full than empty.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
So do most people. ;-)

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Additional comment: All cars run better full than empty.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Fuel gauge isn't so "pessimistic" after all..

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
I went apartment hunting around the UT area this afternoon. Found a nice place I'll probably lease for a year. Now I go back to car to drive off. Now keep in mind the fuel light has been on but only for about 50 miles. SVX won't start. Right near the middle of downtown and I have to walk like a mile to the nearest gas station. You would think with it being "in the city" that there would be some kind of store or SOMETHING nearby, but no nuh uh all the gas stations and wal-marts are very far away. But at least it wasn't something else keeping it from starting.
My gas light wasn't on for that long once. I thought I could push it a little bit. When I was on the highway, my car died quickly. Luckily, I was able to roll onto an off ramp. Since I had no money, I had to call a freind to come pick me up, give me a ride to a gas station, and lend me money as I forgot my wallet. Whole process took about 2 hours. DAM@ YOU PEOPLE WHO CLAIM THE CAR STILL HAS 4 GALLONS IN IT WHEN THE LIGHT COMES ON!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 08:11 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hill

I'd love to be able to fill an SVX for £20...........
i can fill it for under $20, just fill it up 1/2 between a 1/4 and empty :-p
Old 06-19-2002, 10:25 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Larry of 3 I's:

Just for you (and to keep your Bronx Brothers out of my hair), pony the extra $10 for me to upgrade to the two bdrm suite, and you can have the bedroom.

Speaking of hotels, oddly enough, the 3 nights at Homewood Suites will cost me more than the 3 nights I'll be staying at Palmer House Hilton in Chicago (4 stars) right before the meet.

VK

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LarryIII
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
I know where my hotel room is. The Beautiful Naviguesser will be in the Presidential Suite. I will be sleeping in the car in order to afford it. I hope she lets me use the bathroom in the mornings, otherwise no one will want to be near me.

Larry III
Old 06-20-2002, 12:00 AM
srmifer

my gaslight experience today...

the needle was hitting halfway on the letter 'E'...i had just hit 200 miles on my trip...and when i would be idling at a stoplight, the gaslight would flicker on (would turn off once i got moving)...what's up with that?! i know i have a semi-lead foot...but only 200 miles till the little light decides to tell me to put in the expensive stuff?? arghhhh...oh well...bed time for me...have to be up at 4:30 to teach