Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Nah, this whole time I've managed to keep the temp gauge on the dash under the redzone. The thermostat was changed last year, back on the 8th of November.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Winona is my yang.

I didn't read the other thread.

you have a new t-stat, radiator cap, and all that, yes?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Correct, the radiator cap, thermostat and thermostat gasket were replaced back in November.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 PM

I have been thinking this through and we need to get more info to try and work it out.
- You say it has never hit the red does that mean ever?
- When you notice the fans turn off on the last test did you have the Enviro on or off.
- You said you turned on the heater to cool the engine, what did you do? Change tempreture or what.

Sorry to ask so many questions but infomation is what's needed to find out the problem.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
I have been thinking this through and we need to get more info to try and work it out.
- You say it has never hit the red does that mean ever?
- When you notice the fans turn off on the last test did you have the Enviro on or off.
- You said you turned on the heater to cool the engine, what did you do? Change tempreture or what.

Sorry to ask so many questions but infomation is what's needed to find out the problem.
Tony
1.) The only time it ever touched red was when the original radiator split open (original radiator was patched; patch let go). Since the radiator was replaced, it has gotten very close to red occasionally, but has never hit it.

2.) Enviro was off during the test.

3.) Hit the 'Auto' button and set temperature to 85.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:25 AM

Your answers lead me to a couple of thoughts.
- First off, while the fans are 3 speed if the car is stopped & the enviro system is on the fans only run at low speed when on. This said if you fans are changing speed as you mention with the enviro system off then the fans may have a issue. You need to idle the car with Eviro off and see if the fans turn on and off while the car is idling. During this process look at the temp guage and see if it moves up and down slightly as the fan comes on and off.
- I have heard of the condensor on the air con causing a engine to overheat but I have never seen it may be some one will comment on this. That said I just ran a test and even though you turned up the temp the AC will not turn off so you will have to trying driving with either the AC off (push AC button once) or still better turn the whole Evrio system off and see if the car still heats up.
That my current thoughts.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Retired

Quote:
Your answers lead me to a couple of thoughts.
- First off, while the fans are 3 speed if the car is stopped & the enviro system is on the fans only run at low speed when on. This said if you fans are changing speed as you mention with the enviro system off then the fans may have a issue. You need to idle the car with Eviro off and see if the fans turn on and off while the car is idling. During this process look at the temp guage and see if it moves up and down slightly as the fan comes on and off.
- I have heard of the condensor on the air con causing a engine to overheat but I have never seen it may be some one will comment on this. That said I just ran a test and even though you turned up the temp the AC will not turn off so you will have to trying driving with either the AC off (push AC button once) or still better turn the whole Evrio system off and see if the car still heats up.
That my current thoughts.
1.) When I accidentally let the radiator spew coolant all over, the fans kicked into high speed. When I added coolant so the radiator was full again, they returned to normal speed. Then kicked out eventually. Then came back on. So it sounds like my fans are operating normal. In fact, the fans are what have always hinted to me that there's a problem. I would be stopped with the lights off at night, and hear the fans kick up. Sure enough, when I turn the dash lights on, the engine is getting hot.

2.) I know the car heats up with the enviro off. I can induce an overheat situation with it off rather easily. All I have to do is put the car into a high load situation, such as climbing a steep grade. While I have never thought of the enviro being the cause of an overheat (AC yes; since that's adding to the load on the engine), I don't think that is the case here.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:35 PM

WHen you got back from your long trip that time did you add coolent or did you just do nothing except letting it cool down?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Retired

Did nothing but let it cool down, as with the other times it's overheated. There was no coolant loss involved, so I'm assuming that it was just flow back and forth from the overflow. I've put a clamp on the overflow tube so it doesn't spill out like it used to.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Don't get you "I've put a clamp on the overflow tube so it doesn't spill out like it used to". When did it start spilling out? I mentioned before that after driving do you hear air bubbling in the overflow tanks?
Tony
Old 06-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Retired

Quote:
Don't get you "I've put a clamp on the overflow tube so it doesn't spill out like it used to". When did it start spilling out? I mentioned before that after driving do you hear air bubbling in the overflow tanks?
Tony
It used to spill out while overheating, for instance after driving up a steep incline. I'd get to the top and find that the driver's side fender well had coolant on it, from the overflow hose. After putting a clamp on it, it now properly flows into the overflow tank instead of spilling onto my fender.

Yes, there is a bubbling sound when the car is overheating. Not under normal driving conditions; but for instance, when we stopped for gas before the Grapevine, there was a bubbling sound in the overflow.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:05 AM

Sorry to break the bad news to you but the head gasket has gone, my 92 did exactly the same thing and I did eveything to aviod facing it but in the end that was what happened. My 95 did the head gasket at 440K and I thought its time to throw the engine away but decided to replace the head gasket and fire it up again.
Its not such a big deal if you know how to do it right, won't cost much and takes about day. Also a good time to change hoses etc.
Tony
Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Yes I did not want to say it, but yes I agree with Tony.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Retired

It's kinda funny that all the tests for a headgasket come up negative, so therefore it's a head gasket. Oh well. Thanks anyway, I guess the guy who bought it will figure out what it is from his mechanic.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 AM

So does that mean you no longer own a SVX?