Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 04-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Red 92 for sale

found this if anyone interested

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Subaru-SVX-Co...QQcmdZViewItem

from the pics it looks like it's in dealers yard - but ad indicates a private sale.

I think I prefer the black roof & back - but looks like a different red to my 95 in some shots

bruce
Old 04-15-2007, 04:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
nice looking car, i came here with the sole purpose to paste the ebay link, and i was beaten :P
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM

Registered SVX
Is he a dealer?

Why yes he is...

http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminf...ubs_Used+Cars_
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
There are currently 3 SVX's on ebay now

one with a start price of $8555 or something close. not sure of reserve, another for $10k, and a dealer chasing quite alot more for one
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 PM

Smile

Hi, I'm new to this site. I love the SVX and Subies in general. Had 4 Libs and Outbacks but never the ultimate SVX. I'm looking to purchase one in Sydney - Newcastle area and have seen a few at dealers in Sydney. Can anyone tell me if you can put a rear lap seat belt in the rear seat? I have seen US websites with replacement lap belts and also photos of right handed SVX with lrear centre lap belts. Also, are the transmission / bearing / rotor problems as common as some websites make out? What are the best remedies / costs to prevent / rectify these. Thanks for your help.
Grant
Old 04-20-2007, 10:15 PM

Great '92 SVX at Mazda Eurocars, Artarmon. White, drives very nice and tight, no mods, all excellent, beautiful interior, apart from minor paint blemishes on rear. $14990 a little expensive though. Only 82000kms with log history at Subaru, Lindfield.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhumphris
Hi, I'm new to this site. I love the SVX and Subies in general. Had 4 Libs and Outbacks but never the ultimate SVX. I'm looking to purchase one in Sydney - Newcastle area and have seen a few at dealers in Sydney. Can anyone tell me if you can put a rear lap seat belt in the rear seat? I have seen US websites with replacement lap belts and also photos of right handed SVX with lrear centre lap belts. Also, are the transmission / bearing / rotor problems as common as some websites make out? What are the best remedies / costs to prevent / rectify these. Thanks for your help.
Grant
Hi Grant

The first car in this thread @$9000 is actually a colour that is unusual, although there are a few in Australia. It is called Red Mica, sometimes mistakenly called Lead Mica, probably because of the Japanese language confusion between L and R. Ruby Mica is what it's called in Europe. It is a different colour than the '95 red, that's for sure. I think it is probably the best colour combination available, it suits the car.

Regards your questions, I have owned a JDM claret and it had the centre belt. The UK car I have now does not have them. However, I would be very surprised if the bolt holes are not in the chassis to anchor the centre belt. What you would need to do is buy a centre lap belt complete from a scrapped JDM.

Transmission/bearing/rotor.

That's three questions, you're only allowed one.

The transmission is not as bad as made out. You need to put an extra cooler in the system, and change the oil once a year minimum. If you do that, it will last and last, unless you are drag racing it.

Rear bearings do go. If you do the replacement properly, decent pullers, no bloody great hammers, put in the proper grease and good seals, it won't go again. Do it wrong, and it will growl again in months.

The rotors will warp if you do a load of heavy stops from speeds of over 100 mph. If you don't drive like this they might be OK for ever. Mine warped on my JDM. I got them skimmed on the car by a guy in Dublin, an easy fix and cheap. They never gave any further trouble up until I sold the car, and are probably still OK. You do need to torque on the rims properly after changing tyres, or otherwise you may get wheel shake. Tyre mechanics are buggers for torquing them up tight from 1 to 5 sequentially. That will not work for the SVX, look up how to do it correctly.

The best advice is buy a car that has been serviced and cared for, and is in good condition, feels tight. Buy a bad car and you will be one of those people always looking for help with fixes. These are expensive if things go wrong. Preventive maintenance is the best policy.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Great '92 SVX at Mazda Eurocars, Artarmon. White, drives very nice and tight, no mods, all excellent, beautiful interior, apart from minor paint blemishes on rear. $14990 a little expensive though. Only 82000kms with log history at Subaru, Lindfield.
This sounds like a good buy Grant. The word you use, "a little expensive" is very correct. It is only a little expensive, for what it is. Can you haggle him down, buy it with no trade-in?

In the States, a gearbox rebuild runs $2000 to $3000 US. In England it is £1750 Sterling. Here in Ireland about €2000, or more.

With 82K kilometres, you can take care of that box and make sure you never pay for a rebuild. That has to be worth maybe $3000 Au to you?

Haggle him back to some figure in the 13s, and then snap it up.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Hi, I'm new to this site. I love the SVX and Subies in general.
Grant

Forgive my bad manners. You are very welcome to the site, if we can help you, we will.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-21-2007, 05:59 AM

welcome

Quote:

Hi Grant,
Welcome to the site
I you've driven Liberty's & subies in general then if you are looking at getting a SVX it will be similar, if not better ownership. More problems were found on 92 models, but you can say 16 yrs down the track they have been rectified!
The SVX above sounds good, but the all ads do till you get to see it. To find one in good conition these days is hard - there are a lot of uncared for SVX unfortunatly
In my opinion, that car sounds to be too good to be true. Maybe I'm just cynical but I really can't see a 16 yr old car doing a avg 5,000km. A lot of cars recently are around the same mark so be wary of tampering.
Last week I changed some of my gear indicator lights next to the speedo, took 20min, nothing hard and shows how easy access is to the dash.

Maybe check out the green 95 one here, at least it's known to us here and sure to have been looked after.

bruce
Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the warm welcome to the site!
Your hints and information is invaluable to me in purchasing my first SVX in the near future, hopefully. The preventative measures sounds the best way to go. I'll keep my eyes open for others on the market as they all vary. I've seen 4 recently - ranging from very unloved to immaculate (for a 15 year old car) - of course the price varies considerably too!
Thanks again,
Grant
Old 04-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your warm welcome to the site!
At last I have found someone in Australia who knows about the mighty SVX!! The dealers I have been to in the past week or so in Sydney, including Subaru dealerships, know next to nothing! Not that they didn't want to help me, but I just got a lot of "I know nothing about these cars." I saw the green 95 SVX on the net yesterday actually. Admittedly, I like the two tone 92-94 versions better aesthetically, but if the 95 has advantages mechanically and safety-wise (ie dual airbags), then perhaps I need to consider this. I read on the net somewhere that Subaru took out the original transmission filters and replaced them with an external filter at some point - would the MY95 still have the transmission filter, or an external one? Are the 95 transmissions more reliable than the 92 versions? Were any changes made to the rotors or wheel bearings during this time?
There's a nice red mica 92 SVX at Sylvania at present starting at $8550 on ebay (finishes today). I haven't driven it, but is in very nice condition with no modifications. 153000kms.
How often do you have SVX meets in Sydney?
Thanks again,
Grant
Old 04-21-2007, 05:42 PM

Hi again Bruce,
Does you 95 SVX have a fixture / bolt behind the back seat to be able to add a rear centre lap belt (if I was able to get one from overseas)?
Thanks heaps,
Grant
Old 04-21-2007, 05:50 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Are the 95 transmissions more reliable than the 92 versions? Were any changes made to the rotors or wheel bearings during this time?
I know that Subaru made many running changes to the 4EAT transmission during the life of the SVX - but what you need to remember is that many 1992 models (after their original transmission failed) would have had an updated transmission fitted. If a genuine Subaru reconditioned transmission was fitted (look for blue paint on the transmission housing) then it is a fair assumption that it has had all of the changes incorporated into it.

The transmission in my 1992 model failed after just 50,000km! It then had a Subaru reconditioned unit fitted, an ATF cooler was also fitted, and it has performed flawlessly ever since.

One thing that Subaru do not do when they replace an SVX transmission is fit an auxiliary ATF cooler - this is a must!

As for the wheel bearings and rotors - I am not aware of any changes that were made. Some have said that the original bearing design was flawed - but my 1992 model is still on its original bearings!

Quote:
Not often enough!

Look here for photos from the latest meet!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?JDW-SVX|40259

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 04-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your warm welcome to the site!
At last I have found someone in Australia who knows about the mighty SVX!! The dealers I have been to in the past week or so in Sydney, including Subaru dealerships, know next to nothing! Not that they didn't want to help me, but I just got a lot of "I know nothing about these cars." I saw the green 95 SVX on the net yesterday actually. Admittedly, I like the two tone 92-94 versions better aesthetically, but if the 95 has advantages mechanically and safety-wise (ie dual airbags), then perhaps I need to consider this. I read on the net somewhere that Subaru took out the original transmission filters and replaced them with an external filter at some point - would the MY95 still have the transmission filter, or an external one? Are the 95 transmissions more reliable than the 92 versions? Were any changes made to the rotors or wheel bearings during this time?
There's a nice red mica 92 SVX at Sylvania at present starting at $8550 on ebay (finishes today). I haven't driven it, but is in very nice condition with no modifications. 153000kms.
Thanks again,
Grant
I know that Bruce is wary of the low mileage one, but if the service history supports the mileage, it may be a gem and a wise buy.

Not all transmissions fail, but a high number of '92 original ones failed at or before 80K miles.

Your question about '95s being more reliable?; well, any modifications mentioned by Jason would be incorporated. They still rely on the liq/liq intercooler in the bottom lhs of the rad to keep the ATF oil cool, and this is the weak point, why they ALL need the additional cooler.
See the range of upgrades Here

The 92s and all transmissions have a magnetic metal particle filter in the sump. These can need changing, particularly after failure. The additional external filter you mention, this was an aftermarket addition installed by Subaru on the early models to catch some of the flaking clutch plates that were causing clogged passages.

The boxes that have the newer clutches and a cooler fitted, these probably do not need the filter. Some people, including Trevor, do not like the external filter. It can get clogged and lead to reduced flow, which means reduced heat transfer and accelerated wear, so you have a decision to make about whether you need one of these. If it is already on there, then change the canister.

So far as I know, you get the same parts number for the rotors for all years. I am not aware of any upgrade over the life cycle.

Likewise for the bearing. If the proper grease is used, and the install does not cause any stress or distortion of the housing, it is likely the OEM bearing will last the life of the car after the initial replacement. If you have to replace one, you should look for the later Impreza WRX bearing which fits, and does not seem to fail. It is known that the bearing that the SVX uses is one step from the top specification in that size. It does not have the highest rating for side loads. A couple of members have used different bearings, so far as we know always with success.

It's very easy to let these problems get blown out of proportion. If you do the preventative stuff, or perform the fixes doing as suggested, you will have no worries.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: