Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieingSVX
my company wants me to work saturday. all they want me to do saturday is go to plant city and do some estimating. i'm going to try and talk them into just letting me go tomorrow night and doing it. if that works i'll see you saturday if that's good for you!
Actually my wife wants us to take the boy to the zoo on Saturday, so if Sunday is better for you, its better for me too.

Take Care

Chuck D.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:12 PM

not a problem, just let me know what time again and maybe i'll show up at that time.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Thanks for the good wishes. I really like the setup you did. Especially fitting a front mount intercooler. I have a new bumper with a wider front opening and have cut the metal bumper to fit one, but I'm going to have a difficult time fitting the piping. I've got engine management wiring going through the drivers side hole, and a cold air intake going through the passenger side hole. I've thought about moving the battery and eliminating the ABS system. Then cutting holes in the body there to fit the piping. I may just go ahead and do an air/water after all, just for ease of intallation. I do think that the air/air front mount is a superior system though. Nice job. What's next? Bigger injectors? Engine Management?

Thanks! it wasnt all that hard, just had to come to terms with making the best of the room that i had, and then cutting the holes where needed. i cut a whole on both sides, driver side just next to the fusebox and then fitted a honda battery. as seen here:

The passenger side i simply enlarged the stock intake port for the maf and filter pipe to feed up, and then cut down to allow the intercooler piping to feed through the fender and around to the intercooler as you can see here:

For now the car has to sit for a while. I am in need of an alternator and have a weird electrical ground fault/loose harness somewhere that needs to be taken care of. I am on the verge of mkiv supra shopping too, making less and less of a reason for me to push the SVX power ante. I like where it is, drivable and faster then your average SVX, but ill tune it out best i can soon enough.
Hope the tuning goes well, i may go the full standalone route someday and need your help!
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 07-11-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 PM
MINEZ BETTER

on your tec 2, does it have a driver per injecter, becuase usually low impedance injecter are used for peak and hold system like yours.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
the innovate wideband sensor needs to be calibrated in fresh air before it works right. Just unscrew it from the exhaust and let it hang is the air to run the calibration then screw it back in and it should work.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:14 PM

Lm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
the innovate wideband sensor needs to be calibrated in fresh air before it works right. Just unscrew it from the exhaust and let it hang is the air to run the calibration then screw it back in and it should work.
Thanks. I tried that, but it just still keeps giving me a heater error. I'm sending it in for service. I might want to bug you for some better injector connectors soon. Can you still get them?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM

Injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvxstyle
on your tec 2, does it have a driver per injecter, becuase usually low impedance injecter are used for peak and hold system like yours.
I don't have low impedance injectors. I have high impedance. I should be OK though, LAN is able to run his nismo injectors, which are bigger than mine. I don't know if he is running rich though. Maybe he will see this post. I also don't know what rail pressure he is running.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Just some dude.

the chances are that your engine management won't be able to run the injectors nearly as well as the factory system with our software does. As I have stated before the factory engine management system is awesome. It's not just a matter of calculating the right afr; it's timing when the fuel is injected. The factory engine management system uses a combination of the crank and cam sensors to calculate when to start injecting fuel so that it finishes at the same time that the intake valve opens. This cools the valves to prevent detonation and vaporizes the fuel to improve combustion.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Just some dude.

the particular injectors we are using are also very fast and very accurate so despite being large they can deliver small amounts of fuel acurately and acurately timed. I'm not sure what injectors you are using but assuming they are factory nissan injectors of some type they should be reasonably fast as well. I don't know if the engine management you are using can be adjusted for their latency or not but if it can it's important that you do so. Latency is time between when the signal to open is sent and when they actually open. A powerful engine management system uses this information both to calculate the correct length of inection time so that it doesn't run lean at idle and rich at throttle and the correct time to start injection according the length of injection and angular velocity calculations.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
the particular injectors we are using are also very fast and very accurate so despite being large they can deliver small amounts of fuel acurately and acurately timed. I'm not sure what injectors you are using but assuming they are factory nissan injectors of some type they should be reasonably fast as well. I don't know if the engine management you are using can be adjusted for their latency or not but if it can it's important that you do so. Latency is time between when the signal to open is sent and when they actually open. A powerful engine management system uses this information both to calculate the correct length of inection time so that it doesn't run lean at idle and rich at throttle and the correct time to start injection according the length of injection and angular velocity calculations.
It sounds like you are controlling your injectors well. I am using Nismo injectors. The same ones you are, I think, only mine are much smaller 550 cc/min. Electromotive is also powerful. It has even better resolution on the crank from the stock system due to the large toothed wheel design. It can also control Time on Gamma, and Injector Offset, as well as minimum injector opening times and a few other things I am still trying to figure out. What values do you run? I'm particularly interested in the Nismo specs, because I have no idea what the value should be set to. I'm just guessing right now based on industry standards.

I really think my problems are more due to user error, inexperience with the software, and totally no starting maps for the SVX more than anything else. I think once we figure out how to use it, then get it tuned on a dyno by an expert, it will work just fine.

Saying all that, if I had it to do all over again I would have gone with your system, as long as I was able to program it, or get tuning done by you periodically (since you are in Miami?). I like the fact that you didn't have to use plug wires, and retained the factory ignition, which I think is a superior system. Also, finding extra space for another ECU is cumbersome, not to mention the additional sensors, wiring and complexity.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Thanks. I tried that, but it just still keeps giving me a heater error. I'm sending it in for service. I might want to bug you for some better injector connectors soon. Can you still get them?
More than likely, there is not enough voltage getting to the O2 sensor. I had the same problem with my LM-1. I had to hard wire the LM-1 power into 12 V power in the car's electrical system. I also found that I had more problems when the engine wasn't running (i.e. only getting battery 13 V vs alternator 14.5 V). You might also want to double-check the firmness of the connection between the power cord and the LM-1. The little coax connector they use is pretty lousy. You might also want to check the O2 sensor cabling connections.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
More than likely, there is not enough voltage getting to the O2 sensor. I had the same problem with my LM-1. I had to hard wire the LM-1 power into 12 V power in the car's electrical system. I also found that I had more problems when the engine wasn't running (i.e. only getting battery 13 V vs alternator 14.5 V). You might also want to double-check the firmness of the connection between the power cord and the LM-1. The little coax connector they use is pretty lousy. You might also want to check the O2 sensor cabling connections.
I've tried all of that. Thanks though.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Just some dude.

I also had to hard wire my lm1 directly to the battery. It will never work right with the cigarette lighter plug.

As far as the acuracy of the crank angle sensor I don't think it can match the timing of the injector pulses without a cam angle sensor and knowledge of the cam profile. It's the combination of the two sensors which enables the ecu to acurately identify both which cyllinder is firing and when the valves will open. With only a crank angle sensor you'd have to divide the 360 degrees up for identifying the cyllinder then divide it up again to identify when the valves will open. The wheel for your crank angle sensor would have to be 10 feet around to come close to the resolution of the combination of a crank and cam sensor.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Just some dude.

just thought i'd pop back in and say i'm not trying to detract from the system you are using. It should work; the people that designed it didn't design it not to. These people are smart. It's a matter of doing the best you can with what you've got. I just wanted to let you in on some of the intricacies that most tuners are not aware of or able to handle. Paying attention to these things can pay off. I'm sure there is something in the software to time the begining of fuel injection as best as can be. You just have to figure out how to tell the ecu when the valves open. Which I'm guessing means working backwards from the cam profile then relating it to the crank rotation. I think your challenge will be finding someone who is both very familiar with your engine management system and has acess to an awd dyno. You may have to do some travelling to wherever that person ends up being. Tuners are only good with what they are familiar with. I couldn't tune a supra if my life depended on it because I know nothing about them.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Hey cd, are you using the factory crank angle sensor, or did you adapt a Electromotive crank angle sensor?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.