How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-30-2002, 01:00 AM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Question Take a look and tell me what you think...

Check out my personal locker pictures of my 94 SVX LS (FWD). I've just had it totally sanded and repainted back to original color Pearl Green. I also just put some 18" x 7.5 ADR GT Sport Rims (Hyper silver, not your ordinary silver...check it out) with Fulda Z-rated tires on it and painted the rotors aluminum and the calipers to match the body. Other add-ons would be the platinum tint, winshield sticker(recently removed due to 2 tickets- same cop ), recovered interior (matches exterior), replaced headlight lenses (crystal clear!!!) and painted front grille (No more nasty yellow). Things not pictured would be the DynoMax Muffler (little more rumble), totally enhanced sound system with (2) 10"s in the trunk, green-back-up lights, Sidewinder remote start/alarm, and green neon lights all around the underside (picture soon to be loaded). I bought this car about 9 months ago with 56,000 miles on it and I have no complaints. Please e-mail me back with any opinions or comments about my car, critical or negative criticism is very welcomed. Thank-you for your time!
Sincerely,
Joe

P.S. I read the comments about Dan's car, and here's mine.... Truthfully yellow is my favorite and I considered painting my car that color, but didn't have the money for the extra body/paint work involved in painting your car a different color....also I like the hood, it gives the car a more agressive look (just wished it came carbon fiber to take some weight off this "fat" girl). As for me I like the stock spoiler I wouldn't replace it because it compliments the car so well. Any rims are better than the stock rims just as long as they are 17's or bigger, and the finish on the rims should be determined by the color of your car and the look you are trying to achieve--tip: chrome isn't the racing look for imports All in all, I give much props to someone with the will to be different and show their effort!
Old 03-30-2002, 05:07 AM

Thumbs up My 2 pennies

I've always been a fan of originallity. If I had the $$$ there is alot I would like to change on my SVX. As for your SVX(in no particular order--long night at work)........

As for the rims.....I love the rims. 18 inches and clean lines. Very nice!!! My only concern would be........What is the offset?

As for the calipers and rotors. Good idea to do both. I like it

As for the seats.......I'm not sure if I like the color or not. I personally would like to have mine redone with black and tan(no beer comments from the peanut gallery )

As for the front grill. Not my favorite mod on your car. I would have went with a body colored '97 grill if you were tired of the yellowing affect of your '92-'96 grill. Not saying it is bad but I like the shape of the '97 grill more.

As for the sound system........Wanna trade? With only the tape/AM/FM part of mine working I am going through CD withdrawal

As for the neons.........Not my thing. I'll reserve judgement until I see a pic or two. Even if I do not like it that is not important. As long as you like them.....go for it!!! Do me a favor though........Save them for car shows or your driveway. There is enough to concentrate on while driving We have to avoid too many phone talking, child repremanding, SUV drivers as is. Just imagine if they were also rubber-necking to see your car while trying to do the others at the same time. A car accident in the making.

Just my two pennies
B.C.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
SVX-Joe

I like the paint job. I did not like the windshield sticker that said "SVX". I also like the orig. wheels because of the curved spokes. I wish I could get a set of orig. wheels in 17" in. dia.
I like the seat covers very very much. Can you send me the name and number of the shop where you got them and how much they cost. Thanks.

Larry III

l.p.singer@worldnet.att.net
Old 03-30-2002, 08:48 AM

Great paint job. I also would not opt for the windshield treatment, I like to keep what the car is a secret, but that's just a personal preference. The interior looks real sharp.

99 Acura 3.2 TL, 51K
Old 03-30-2002, 12:06 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Looks very good, I love those wheels. I also like the different approach to the front grille. You're probably the only one to paint that. I like the shape of the grille better then the '97, but ive always wanted mine to be painted. Very nice.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 03-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Looks good, I like the wheels, I even like the painted grill, I'd wondered what that would look like...now I know, I don't think it'd look as good on a Pearly, unless you painted it black to match the top.
The interior looks good, but would have to see it live before I'd consider doing the same thing.

Overall, you've got a very nice SVX, keep up the good work
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-30-2002, 01:30 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Nice job! I especially like the wheels. Next to stock, they're the best I've seen. Good brakes - power-coated, or painted?

Taking the big white billboard off the windshield was the right thing to do. It just wasn't right for the car. Something more subtle might be better.

Now that I've seen a painted grill - I think I won't paint mine. Just keep on polishing.

The seats are outstanding! Are the back seats similar?
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-30-2002, 03:38 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Overall, looks good. Looks like they did a good job on the seats. I think losing the windshield sticker, and staying with the stock spoiler are good decisions. The essence of the SVX, is that it is an example of some of the best of Italian design (in general, not just Italdesign, the firm) - subtle, and somewhat understated. Big stickers and spoilers don't really fit with that, IMHO.

In the last analysis, though, you're the only one who has to happy with it.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:42 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Smile Thanks to everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on my car, negative or positive. To answer a few questions within all the replies....

-The seats were recovered in synthtic leather, done by a trim shop. (not bought in retail store) Backseats are not yet to be done, because of financial backing. No money

-The headlights lenses were replaced with new factory lenses and plasma white/blue bulbs replace the night driving lights

-Brake rotors and caliper were painted by me in the drive way. Some paint (that matched my car's exterior) from Wal-Mart for the calipers. I used heat resistant paint for the (color: aluminum) the rotors.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!
Old 03-31-2002, 05:26 PM
One teal and One yellow

overall, it looks good.

one of my questions... after you replaced with the 18" rim, do you notice any difference??

handling: better? how different?

ride quality: worse? more bumpy feel?

our cars' ride quality is known as good and comfortable, i am wondering if your 18"rims change the comfortable level of our cars on the "bumpy roads"..... if i want to change, 17" might be my choice.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-31-2002, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
svxjoe, you mentioned buying new front lenses for the headlights.....how much did that cost? did you get it through subaruparts.com? thanks
chris
Old 03-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Arrow Questions answered....

Thank-you for the comments and questions. Here are some answers....

---In my opinoin, the 18's did not change the ride of the car. I live in Jacksonville, FL. so the roads here aren't bad and bumpy. Everyone comments on how my car rides so quiet and smooth and I think it does too, but that is my own personal opinion.

--- Well I'm not supposed to tell how I get most of my parts for my car but here it goes.... I have a friend who is a parts manager for Ford and he can get any part for any car at cost...so I only paid about $300 for one of the lenses. The other one was replaced by insurance, cuz some of the "good-ole" people of Jacksonville decided to throw a 40 ounce beer bottle at my car while I was doing about 40 mph and them going the other way. But now I look at it as good-bad luck, cuz once I changed the lenses I was like Damn! They look so much better!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:16 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Hey Joe,

In general, I think you did a great job in the car. Like I have said in the past, SVXes are great just in stock look and I give you two thumbs up for keeping the original look to the car (to most parts).

I like the colour. I like the seats. If the green was done in seude, it would be look even better. Just a thought. I know you probably thought about that somewhere. I love the rims. And the colour was excellent.

As for the big SVX thing on top of the windshield, I am not a big fan of the "winshield art" and I can only comment in -ive ways so I will not go there. Some like it, some don't. It's cool though.

I am not sure if I like or dislike the front painted waterfall grill. I probably have to see it in person or think of it more. But overall, you did a great job.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:45 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Exclamation The grille....

I'm wasn't too fond of the grille on my 94 SVX. Even if it wasn't yellowing and dingy looking... I just don't like that grille. Now that I have painted it, it makes the grille acceptable and compliments the car very well. I really wanted the grille from a 97 SVX but to order one from Subaru it was like $450+, and even with my little parts-guy hook-up it was still $390+. The old un-painted grille reminded me of something Mercury cars have- with the lense looking thing going all the way across the front of the car, which I don't like. Like you said... think about it, take notice to other cars from 1990 to 1995 (Mercury, Eagle, Chrysler, and maybe some Fords)...you'll see family cars and even vans with the ugly lense thing going across the car, and then putting the SVX (an italian design, sports, luxury, overall sharp and sleek looking car) next to these cars...you think what the hell was Subaru thinking when they designed that (just the front grille... the rest of the car is a sexy thing). Well this is all just my opinion and if you are in to keeping the svx as "stock" as possible I think that's cool too just don't let those lenses and grille get yellow on you.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:44 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Joe,

I got my 97 grill from my dealer for about 200. If I recall. Do you want me to hook you up?

I don't like the old grill either so I switched them to 97

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!