Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I know it is not exactly SVX related, but I think I am part of the SVX world

Long story short: I applied for a green card online like 2 months ago. Today I got an international phone call from the states from the USAFIS bureau, asking me to pay for a 4 year draw.... $119 for those 4 years, and the usual marketing stuff about you have the highest chance to being elected... what do you think guys??

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 03-24-2006 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Stupid Grammar Mistake
Old 03-24-2006, 04:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
....................Only if you bring your car w/ u
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
come on guys, be serious about it, they will call me back in one hour... HELP ASAP

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Bipa

My Aunt took part in that kind of official lottery and got selected for a green card. As long as you are doing it through official U.S. Gov't offices and NOT through some private immigration service, then go for it.

The cost isn't prohibitive, so your worst case scenario is losing a bit of money.

Good Luck!

Vera
Old 03-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Hmmm, my friend over here told me it is Bull***, he registered for it and was never contacted after he paid ( )....

I need testimonies from people who are related in a way or another to that thing

Old 03-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Bipa

Well, you can also register for free by going directly through the State Department instead of the USAFIS program. The USAFIS has extras like an airplane ticket to winners that aren't given to the "free" entrants.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/divlott.htm

How Do I Apply?
Before each year's lottery drawing, the Department of State will publish explicit instructions on how to apply in press releases and the Federal Register. Please follow all directions exactly. Millions of applicants are rejected each year for failure to follow the directions. Please watch the State Department Website for more information on the Diversity Visa Lottery Program. Instructions are usually posted in August, and the registration period is usually held in October each year. Please note that the Diversity Visa Lottery Program for 2005 has ended.

How Much Does the Lottery Cost?
There is no fee for entering the diversity visa lottery. If you win, you must pay a fee for an immigrant visa and a separate visa lottery surcharge.

How Can I Find Out If I Won?
Only the winners will be notified by mail at the addresses listed on their applications. Winners will be sent instructions and information on fees. Being selected as a winner in the diversity visa lottery does not automatically guarantee that you will be issued a visa, even if you are qualified. The number of entries selected is greater than the number of immigrant visas available, because not everyone selected will be qualified for the visa or will choose to complete the processing. Once all 50,000 visas have been issued, the diversity visa program for the year will end.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Bipa

More info: You're going to have to wait until the next lottery, probably October.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1318.html

The entry registration period for DV-2007 is now over and all submission processing at this website has stopped.

ENTRIES FOR THE DV-2007 DIVERSITY VISA LOTTERY MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY BETWEEN WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2005 AND SUNDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2005. APPLICANTS MAY ACCESS THE ELECTRONIC DIVERSITY VISA ENTRY FORM AT 'WWW.DVLOTTERY.STATE.GOV' DURING THE REGISTRATION PERIOD BEGINNING NOON ON OCTOBER 5. PAPER ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. APPLICANTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST WEEK OF THE REGISTRATION PERIOD TO ENTER. HEAVY DEMAND MAY RESULT IN DELAYS. NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER NOON ON DECEMBER 4, 2005.

THE ENTRY

There is only one way to enter the DV-2007 lottery. Applicants must submit an Electronic Diversity Visa Entry Form (EDV Entry Form), which is accessible only at www.dvlottery.state.gov. Failure to complete the form in its entirety and with correct information will disqualify the applicant’s entry.

Important Notice

No fee is charged to enter the annual DV program. The U.S. Government employs no outside consultants or private services to operate the DV program. Any intermediaries or others who offer assistance to prepare DV casework for applicants do so without the authority or consent of the U.S. Government. Use of any outside intermediary or assistance to prepare a DV entry is entirely at the applicant's discretion.

A qualified entry submitted electronically directly by an applicant has an equal chance of being selected by the computer at the Kentucky Consular Center, as does an entry submitted electronically through a paid intermediary who completes the entry for the applicant.Every entry received during the lottery registration period will have an equal random chance of being selected within its region. However, receipt of more than one entry per person will disqualify the person from registration, regardless of the source of the entry.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Thanks Vera

Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
I forgot to mention that the spooky part of it is that they insisted on taking my credit card number... well I didn't dare giving it, and rather gave them my Visa Debit card... well it is the one I fill it up for my overseas purchases.. and it has $10 balance ...

Well it was kinda scary.. but I guess those guys who called me are really from USAFIS... well they knew all about my email address, my location (exactly where I live here..)

Any more thoughts, please?
I really want to go to the States, I have a degree in Business Accounting and now I will be wrapping up my Masters in Finance (From Notre Dame University in Lebanon). 3 years banking experience (well I was handling the operations control of 25 branches) and two years collections/lawsuits experience (my current job), I have been rated most innovative employee in my current job (between 450 employees)... Do you think I can find a job easy over there? (please I don't want to work in fiberglass, maybe just some small side things...)

They expect me to pay $119 this coming tuesday, it is an application for 4 years (lottery trials), do you think it is worth it?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Danny,

It is really cool that you want to come to the states. It would be awesome to have the Mod Master at a Reading meet.

I think that if you do not want to fill out the paperwork for 4 years than it might be worth the money. As you should know time=money in a big way. Always ask yourself how much is your time worth when making a decision like this.

As far as getting a job in the banking area. I would make some inquires with a head hunter that is state side. They would be the best source of knowledge. I do not know of any because my jobs have never been that important.

Look at different areas. There is a huge cost of living difference from city to country. The jobs are similar in there pay too. the closer to a big city the more expensive it is to live but the more a job will pay. The further away the cheaper living and cheaper pay too.

I am partial to the East Coast. There are so many different lifestyles, attitudes, and living markets. The food is better on the coast, not to mention the large population of SVX's (mid-Atlantic region).

What about a sponsor to get you into the states? Have you looked into that option?

Good luck
Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-24-2006, 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=SilverSpear]I forgot to mention that the spooky part of it is that they insisted on taking my credit card number... well I didn't dare giving it, and rather gave them my Visa Debit card... well it is the one I fill it up for my overseas purchases.. and it has $10 balance ...

Last edited by triumph1902; 08-10-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Danny, I would doubt that the US Government would charge a fee for a lottery to come to this country.
It SOUNDS like a scam!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF
Danny,

It is really cool that you want to come to the states. It would be awesome to have the Mod Master at a Reading meet.

I think that if you do not want to fill out the paperwork for 4 years than it might be worth the money. As you should know time=money in a big way. Always ask yourself how much is your time worth when making a decision like this.

As far as getting a job in the banking area. I would make some inquires with a head hunter that is state side. They would be the best source of knowledge. I do not know of any because my jobs have never been that important.

Look at different areas. There is a huge cost of living difference from city to country. The jobs are similar in there pay too. the closer to a big city the more expensive it is to live but the more a job will pay. The further away the cheaper living and cheaper pay too.

I am partial to the East Coast. There are so many different lifestyles, attitudes, and living markets. The food is better on the coast, not to mention the large population of SVX's (mid-Atlantic region).

What about a sponsor to get you into the states? Have you looked into that option?

Good luck
Steve
Thanks Steve, you are right about one thing. I need a sponsor! Most of the Lebanese living in the States go to Boston. I also have my cousin living in the States for the past 20 years or so, well the last time I saw him was in 1988, I was just a small kid .... well all those are secondary to me, I have a decent job right now over here, I am in no rush, I just have to succeed in all my paperwork/Visa and stuff like that in order to flip the dream into reality.

There is no harm in trying that lottery, they (USAFIS) called me twice today, each time convincing me for 25 mins/ea.... are they that persistent usually? or just they mistakenly printed my name over it and they want to give it to me while I pay for it just for them to correct their mistake (**** what did I just say ... never mind)

Well I guess this is all marketing stuff, they want to get the most money out of their program... they said something about Russians/Canadians/UK... not eligible for that Green Card anymore and they are very interested in taking Lebanese people.... bla bla bla.... so they need me to register as fast as I can... bla bla bla.....

Old 03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph1902
I know the lottery exist and I know people who are here because of it...however I dont know if that is a scam, it very well could be. How did you initially apply for it?

As for getting a job here...let me give you an example: I migrated with my family from Albania 15 years ago. Both my parents were chemical engineers. My dad had worked for 20 years with international corporations in his field. He was the chief design engineer for Albania’s largest chromium refinery which came into operation months before we left. He had personal letters of recommendation from companies all over Europe and even China.

When we came here, none of his degrees held weight. He went to a university and for 2 years tested his way up to his bachelors and then tried to find work in order to continue with his masters. He was only able to get work as a lab tech making $11/hour. And even that was with hazardous chemicals. He eventually gave up his profession and we started a small car business.

I'm not sure how happy you are in Lebanon but alot of people tend to have a distorted vision of America. There are places here that would put Liberia to shame as far as crime and poverty. Still if wealth is what you quest for, and you are determined, you have some opportunities here but its never easy and you may find the price to be too high...Especially if you have or plan on having a family eventually.

Not trying to paint a bleak picture and no offence to anyone here, but life as a refugee is no joke. My grandpa used to say "guri rend, ri ne vendin e vet" It translates into something like "The heavy stone stays in its own place"
Ok here is the website: http://www.usafis.org/_sys/EN/ofc_en...=Ugg_En_122_25

In Lebanon we have three certified American Universities:

AUB: American University of Beirut
NDU: Notre Dame University
LAU: Lebanese American University

I guess those three had their licenses from their bases in USA. Well I learn(ed) your accounting charter (the Lebanese is inverse), and I learn(ed) your way of managing businesses, your economic/finance principles... well everything is purely American! I rarely learned any "Lebanese" law or fact. I dunno but I guess my degree is legit and considered as if I got it from over there , I currently have a GPA of 3.45-3.50 / 4 ...

About the wages and life norms... it is true that USA is not the best place to go work, there is always Qatar/Kuwait/Brazil/Cote d'ivoire.... where anyone can make a lot more than he does in the States... but upon hearing about your Labor rate for the first time, I went !!!

Do you know how much is the minimum wage over here? $225/month !!!!!!!!!!!!
If I am lucky I would touch the $1300/month barrier with all my degrees!!!

One of my everyday chatting friend on this Forum is Pavanbabut. 3 or 4 months ago he was looking desperately for a job, well he eventually found one, I was really happy for him, he is a good fella, he really deserves it. But when I asked him about the salary he was getting over there, i went . It was a number I would dream of in a Gazillion years!!!

So the hell with my country and its depressed economy/politics issues, it's time for me to start looking for a LIFE !

Old 03-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
I would love to see you come live in America. I'm not sure if a big city is the right place to go however. I mean, smaller towns are usally a lot easier to find work in, and the cost of living is much cheaper

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension