How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2002, 10:19 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
If it Ain't One Thing . . . .

Okay, tranny's shifting fine. One problem out of the way (cross your fingers that it stays out of the way for a long, long, long, long time).

Sunday, I was determined to change the CD player. It had been skipping terribly and was beginning to spit out every other CD. I'd bought another stock set for 10.00 (the price of shipping, and yes, it was BOTH Radio and CD). I had tried to replace them once before, but gave up when I couldn't get the unit out. This time, I discovered that it was the flap of material that was holding me back. I used my handy-dandy pot scraper as a wedge and got it out. To make a long story short, I got everything put back in and now I have flawless CD operation. Oh, and I removed the radio with the antenna leads intact, thank you very much.

Now for the " . . . it's another" part. Went to throw my computer bag into the passenger's seat to go to work this morning. It's been raining like a son-of-a-gun. My passenger's sheepskin (genuine, not fake) was SOAKED. The sunroof had been leaking throughout the night. It was dripping. Trouble is, it's got to STOP raining before I can check the drain. Hopefully it's just a maple "helicopter" or something stopping it up. It's supposed to rain all freakin' day today. I was going to take the cover out to dry it, but, noticed that it was keeping the water off the leather. I opened the sunroof, then re-shut it, hoping it just hadn't sealed well the last time I opened it -- we'll see when I go to lunch, if it helped.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-19-2002, 10:51 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

I just couldn't get this image out of my mind. "Wouldn't it have been something to see if it had been the driver's seat?"

(Oh, now that wasn't funny at all. )

Gonna contact Sharon about that mini-meet. I'm guessing she'll be quite anxious to show off her new car. (And, once again, for any who might have missed it - The SVX is now MINE! - well, tomorrow it will be.)
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-19-2002, 12:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
I just couldn't get this image out of my mind. "Wouldn't it have been something to see if it had been the driver's seat?"

It would give a whole new meaning to "The Legend of Soggy Bottom."

(No, that *wasn't* funny)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-19-2002, 12:07 PM

Registered SVX
Well, it wasn't the seal. It was still leaking, more than ever, at lunch. I found the water had soaked through the sheepskin and onto the leather. AAARRRGGGHHH!! I had a piece of bubble wrap that my stereo had been packed in, in the rear floorboard. I put the bubble wrap on the seat and a towel on top of it. That should prevent any further "soakage." It's still raining. YUK! I need to get this figured out. It's driving me nuts!! (okay, it's a short trip. So what! )
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I'm thinking, go to a gas station with a roof over the pumps, open the sunroof up and check those drains!

Also, buy some cheap plastic like a paint dropcloth (dropplastic?) and when you park, lay it over the roof and close the ends in each door so it won't blow away.

Then, when you get it solved or it stops raining, take all the seats out, take the carpet out, and dry the wiring harnesses under the passenger seat. You may want to brass brush them and put new dielectric grease on them.

If you catch it before it starts to develop mold, you won't have any problems. Plus you can really clean the funk out of the carpet when its sitting on your work table in the basement.

I once was on a date in my convertible, it was a beautiful night, not a cloud in the sky. We went to the movies and when we came out, it was POURING!!! how do you ask someone if they would like to go out again when your butt and feet are totally soaked??

Needless to say, I never had a second date with her.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Green1995SVX

My parents used to have a saab convertible... My dad left the top down while in a meeting once, and came out to find that it had showered. It was a mess... they sold the car shortly thereafter.

-Mike
Old 03-19-2002, 08:58 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
My parents used to have a saab convertible... My dad left the top down while in a meeting once, and came out to find that it had showered. It was a mess... they sold the car shortly thereafter.

-Mike
Came out of the local Mall (back when there were 2 of 'em) after a heavy downpour only to walk past a convertible Cavalier, I believe. The owner had left the top down. I cracked the driver's
side door for them
Old 03-19-2002, 10:04 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

OK - It looks like the time to unveil my latest automobile "must have" product. That's right SVXers, & all leaky sunroof (rainroof, ha-ha) owners everywhere. Just like the "bra" that keeps those cinder block chips away from the hood, & the Dagmars from saggin', the new "Shower Cap" (tm) is THE latest in technology from Ron's Ripimoff Industries. Manufactured from the same genuine yak fur that has become a Ripimoff standard, the Shower Cap (tm) is held in place by genuine rubber bungee cords that can be adjusted to fit just about any car or SUV. You can just laugh at those Tennessee/Kain-tuck monsoons now!
The amazing four square foot yak skin can be set in place in just minutes, TOTALLY covering the leaky rectangle, & is firmly hooked to any surface by the bungee cords.

Order YOUR genuine Shower Cap (tm) today!! Only $89.95 plus $122.75 shipping & handling, will make you & your SVX the envy of the neighborhood every time the clouds burst. Color choice of yak turd brown, or yak bile ochre.

Send cash today! to RRI LLC, PO box 666, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Please allow 6-8 months for order processing.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:22 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

How Long did it take??

AREDUB,
I have had a radio and CD player sitting in a closet now for 6 months. How long did it take to replace the CD. According to what I have seen you have to dismantle the entire instrument cluster and heater controls and vents to get at the Radio and CD player.
I trying to justify the time just so I can get the light to come on in the CD's LED display.
Clydesvx
Old 03-20-2002, 10:47 AM

Registered SVX
Re: How Long did it take??

Quote:
Originally posted by Clydesvx
AREDUB,
I have had a radio and CD player sitting in a closet now for 6 months. How long did it take to replace the CD. According to what I have seen you have to dismantle the entire instrument cluster and heater controls and vents to get at the Radio and CD player.
I trying to justify the time just so I can get the light to come on in the CD's LED display.
Clydesvx
Clyde, you've been misinformed.

First, unplug the antenna leads, located under the carpet, near the console in the driver's footwell.

Pop the little black panel off the inside of the "drop down door" using a small flatblade srewdriver, or, I use a flat pot scraper. A small bondo spatula might also work. Just do whatever you need to to keep from scratching it.

That will reveal a screw at the bottom, under the CD unit. Undo that screw, being careful not to drop it. A driver with a magnetic bit helps. That will release the bezel around the stereo that pops off.

That will reveal two screws, each in the upper right and left corners and one screw, to the right, at the bottom. Undo those screws and you'll be ready to work the unit out.

I used the drop down door "stops" to begin to gently pull, to begin the process, once you get it to wiggling, you can move it out just a scoche. Use a piece of heavy cardboard on the right hand (passenger's) side of the entire unit (or the pot scrubber, or bondo spatula) to wedge between the bracket and the trim. There's a piece of the vinyl trim that you might get hung on. Once you've cleared that obstacle, the unit should begin to slip right out. Be careful not to scratch the faux wood trim on heater control module or any of the faux trim for that matter, when you pull the unit out. I used a towel over the console, and put lo-tac masking tape around the entire perimeter of the trim around the unit, to avoid scratches. Oh, taking the ashtray out, allows you to get your fingers under the lip of the bracket to help slide it out.

Once you slide the bracket, containing the units out, unplug the power leads to the radio and the lighting lead to the CD unit.

Getting the antenna leads out is something of a challenge, but, with a few tugs, you should be able to get them out. They tend to get caught in a "V" created by an interior brace and some wires. I just gave them a few sharp tugs, once I saw where they were hanging, and they came out.

Once you have the unit out, the rest is cake, and reassembly is the reversal of removal. Of course, the hardest part, is getting that darned little black facia piece back on the drop down door. Just be patient. And, again, try to avoid scratching stuff. That's the only big problem with this method (without removing all the trim).

Best of luck. It only took me a couple of hours, but I ran into some stupid complications ( I put the CD player into the bracket upside down, and had to take it out and right it. I replaced the radio with a used stock unit also. Found it had no illumination in the LCD unit and had to pull it and re-replace it with the old unit), plus, I was kinda leisurly taking my time.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 03-20-2002 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:19 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: How Long did it take??

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Best of luck. It only took me a couple of hours, but I ran into some stupid complications ( I put the CD player into the bracket upside down, and had to take it out and right it.
Oh geez... that sounds like something i would do...

-Mike
Old 03-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by dart

Came out of the local Mall (back when there were 2 of 'em) after a heavy downpour only to walk past a convertible Cavalier, I believe. The owner had left the top down. I cracked the driver's
side door for them
Typical cav owner move

-Mike
Old 03-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Green1995SVX

Did you get the leaky roof issue under control, randy?

-Mike
Old 03-20-2002, 12:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Did you get the leaky roof issue under control, randy?

-Mike
By virtue of the rain stopping, I guess so. I can't see the drain holes from looking at the top of the car. I'd hate to think i'd have to remove the "moonroof" rails to see the drains.

What I'll probably do is wait for the drain tube to dry out a bit, so it won't have a bunch of sludge in it. Then, get uder the car and hit the drain end of it with some compressed air. That should do it. If not, I'll probably be loosening the headliner, just enough to see if for some freaky reason, the drain tube has become disconnected from the fitting on the moonroof.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-20-2002, 04:51 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
OK - It looks like the time to unveil my latest automobile "must have" product. That's right SVXers, & all leaky sunroof (rainroof, ha-ha) owners everywhere. Just like the "bra" that keeps those cinder block chips away from the hood, & the Dagmars from saggin', the new "Shower Cap" (tm) is THE latest in technology from Ron's Ripimoff Industries. Manufactured from the same genuine yak fur that has become a Ripimoff standard, the Shower Cap (tm) is held in place by genuine rubber bungee cords that can be adjusted to fit just about any car or SUV. You can just laugh at those Tennessee/Kain-tuck monsoons now!
The amazing four square foot yak skin can be set in place in just minutes, TOTALLY covering the leaky rectangle, & is firmly hooked to any surface by the bungee cords.

Order YOUR genuine Shower Cap (tm) today!! Only $89.95 plus $122.75 shipping & handling, will make you & your SVX the envy of the neighborhood every time the clouds burst. Color choice of yak turd brown, or yak bile ochre.

Send cash today! to RRI LLC, PO box 666, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Please allow 6-8 months for order processing.

You get six big smilies for that one.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.