Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Question I found a 9500 communicator !!!!

this is right, it was 10 days ago. We own a parking lot over here, and many cars come and park and leave... so I always find stuff there, from keys, coins, cloth, Zippo's... there was one time I found a Nokia without the sim card... nobody asked for it, so I took it...

This time I found that communicator on the ground, the sim card is there (there is a line inside) and a 128MMC card... I kept it with me for 10 days now, but nobody called on it. THAT THING IS STILL NEW !!! I recharged the battery twice now just in case someone calls... and I am too naughty to log on to the phonebook and try to search for a contact number

I cannot take it to the police because the one who handles these stuff, will eventually take it home... so it is better off with me. The issue now is the following:
Let's assume that the owner suddenly REALIZES that his phone is missing, and reports it to the police. The latter will ask the GSM operators over here to track the calls coming for that phone with the serial number XXXXXXXXX.
They will know from whose line the calls are made and CATCH ME and throw me in PRISON.
If the owner doesn't report it, I will have then a $700 piece of nice machinery in my hands..
I also cannot sell it, because the seller will ask for my ID, photocopy it and keep it with him.
So what to do??? I had an idea, about switching something inside it making it impossible to be traced... any opinions????

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Sorry I just realized it is a 9300 and not a 9500

It's the fever again

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:02 PM
NFSvxSpeed

Talking Thief!

j/p nice find!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Log into the phone book and look to see if there is one labled "Home", then call and tell them you found it.....maybe they'll give you a reward....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
Log into the phone book and look to see if there is one labled "Home", then call and tell them you found it.....maybe they'll give you a reward....
Yeah right!!, I always find stuff, keep them in a special place, their owners come and take them.... with a Thanks...

Where the hell do I cash this "Thanks" from? any bank you know??? Not this time man, either he comes and look for it or I will keep it. I will just switch the board

Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If it's an unblocked phone (not purchased from any particular phone service provider), changing the sim is all that is necessary.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
The thing is that if you take the cell phone box to the police, they will believe that you are the owner of that phone, it has the code written on the box... so an investigation will start... and you will not know where it might end up...

Either I need to start looking for the owner or change the board

Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

An ID number is transmitted with every packet that leaves that phone. It is not an analog device. (Well, the earpiece... Oh! You know what I mean!! ) Like you said, changing the board is the only way around it. But then, how much are replacement boards?

In Nevada, the DA will take it to prosecution.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

you could always send it to me

i'll give ya $100 for it
Old 02-02-2006, 11:03 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I'm not sure how things work over in Lebanon but here if the phone is reported stolen it's blacklisted by that carrier so you can not activate or use it on their system, but if it's an unlocked world phone which I do believe the communicator should be you can just change the sim with one from another carrier and use it
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-02-2006, 11:34 PM
NFSvxSpeed

Lightbulb i have an idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
The thing is that if you take the cell phone box to the police, they will believe that you are the owner of that phone, it has the code written on the box... so an investigation will start... and you will not know where it might end up...

Either I need to start looking for the owner or change the board
put it on ebay!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
I'm not sure how things work over in Lebanon but here if the phone is reported stolen it's blacklisted by that carrier so you can not activate or use it on their system, but if it's an unlocked world phone which I do believe the communicator should be you can just change the sim with one from another carrier and use it
Over here when a phone is reported stolen to the police, the owner takes the original box where the serial number is still written and they issue a formal request asking the two GSM companies to track that serial number when a sim card is installed again. They would know who the proprietor is then and throw him in the JOINT

Old 02-03-2006, 07:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I'm with Huck on this one. I know the Shiny New Thing is tempting to keep, but is it worth risking prison time? I wouldn't think so, but that's your call, I guess.

The other thing to consider is how you would feel if you lost it. I know you can't cash a 'thanks,' but at least it's the right thing to do.

If it was $700 in cash you found on the ground, well, that's difficult to prove ownership of. But this thing has in it a method for finding its owner - the phone book.

But, hey, you've already kept it for ten days. So my guess is that you've decided what to do anyway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Unstoppable

Seriously.....at least look in the phone book and try to find the owner. I'm sure if you lost your expensive phone we would see a thread by you about how much whoever found it sucks because they never even attempted to find out who it belonged to. If there's no contact info in the phone book, then go ahead and keep it at your own risk.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Ok I will take a look on the phonebook...