Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
do you also need the SVX rod?? Also have you measured the stroke on the crank in comparison to the EG33?? This is more than likely a very large portion of finding the CR with the other pistons... I mean... if the stroke is the same and the heads have the same cc's I would imagine that the CR would drop from 10-1 to 8-1... Thats just my thoughts though

Tom
Old 12-01-2005, 01:25 PM

the svx piston is now fitted on the ej22 rod on the crank in the block all assembled with pins and clips. the svx rod pin end is the same i.diameter as the 2.2 rod. the pins are also the same diameters. the pistons will definately work. I do not know if the rods are interchangeable they might be different at the crank end. Anybody want to send me a svx rod? I can compare it to the ej22 rod. anyway Im gonna keep the svx rods in my build and have them shot peened magnafluxed and bluprinted with some arp bolts. they are forged and should work for 500 hp which is more than what i need. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
TomsSVX do you also need the SVX rod?? Also have you measured the stroke on the crank in comparison to the EG33?? This is more than likely a very large portion of finding the CR with the other pistons... I mean... if the stroke is the same and the heads have the same cc's I would imagine that the CR would drop from 10-1 to 8-1... Thats just my thoughts though
Tom thanks, I dont need the rods since im gonna keep the svx rods im just adding the ej22t pistons and beefing up the svx rods. The stroke on the cranks are the same on both engines so if the distance from deck to deck are the same on both blocks and the cc on both heads are the same then it will be 8 to 1.

If some of you want to see if you can use ej20,22 aftermarket rods send me one and i will take measurements to figure that out.

dieingSVX thanks for your offer i cant think of anything right now but i will keep it in mind
Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Can you give me dimensions of the 2.2lt rod?? Inner Diameters of both knuckles?? Please use a precise instrument so I can measure my rods and see if they match up?? If they do, that opens up a huge aftermarket for the Eg33 in build parts

Tom
Old 12-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI
Tom thanks, I dont need the rods since im gonna keep the svx rods im just adding the ej22t pistons and beefing up the svx rods.
How much will the stock ej22t pistons run you?

Slowboy Racing sells these:

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=2141& 9.0:1 compression

http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=1789 8.5:1 compression (pistons are half-way down the page)

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 12-01-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Hey, 450 for a set of pistons...pins...clips...and rings ain't bad at ALL... Not to mention they are considerably better than stock I would assume...

Tom
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
SVX pistons V EJ2.2T pistons.

We did a bit of research on this last year, in a thread "Bore and sleeve".
This is some of the numbers that I came up with.

>>>>>>>> Piston facts.

Wow lot of confusion. The facts as I see them are, the EJ 2.2lt turbo pistons will fit the EG3.3 bore, they are the same bore size, the wrist pin height and offset will be the same, They have the same selective fit as the SVX.

The piston crown height is what controls the compression ratio, they did not change the combustion chamber volume on the EJ 2.2 when they built the turbo, they just fitted pistons with a lower cut out in the top of the piston. These pistons lowered the EJ 2.2 's, 9.4:1 ratio to the turbo's 8:1, a drop of 1.4. If these pistons were fitted to the EG 3.3, the compression ratio would drop from 10:1 to 8.6:1.

I know that the SVX pistons have a raised lump, of about 1 to 1.5 mm on them, instead of a cutout that the EJ2.2 has(according to Wayne), so our cylinder head volume may be larger (may be due to bigger valves?), but the Turbos pistons will still drop the ratio by 1.4:1 at least. <<<<<<

You might find more info in this thread.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Sweet!!

Sooo pistons are the same, small end of the rod is the same, now if the stroke is the same we need to look at the rod ratio for both engines and should be able to see if the rods are same/similar. I THINK that because the EG33 pistons at TDC in the 2.2 is above the block the 2.2 rod has to be slightly longer.(I'm not sure if i'm thinking about this right, however assuming that the piston only reaches "flush" with the block in the EG33, we would have to assume that if the stroke is the same, the rod for the 2.2 is slightly longer... am I thinking about this wrong?)

Either way the fact that you can basically drop these pistons in directly = AMAZING for anyone interested in forced induction. Awesome to see wiseco already makes standard and overbore pistons as well. I'm using wisecos in my DSM project, and like i've said before, they've been known to handle upwards of 600 hp on a 4 cyl. Not an apples to apples comparison, but useful info non the less.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Hey, 450 for a set of pistons...pins...clips...and rings ain't bad at ALL... Not to mention they are considerably better than stock I would assume...

Tom
Price will probably be 50% higher ($675) for a set of six (instead of 4). They should definitely be stronger and I'm sure a quick search of NASIOC will give a lot of feedback on those two products.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Poor College Racer

Interesting that slowboy rebuilds the 2.2... and even cooler that you can drop the STI crank in that block... we just need to wait for a 3.75L STI boxer 6 tob e able to do the same thing!

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Tom, I havent split the block to get to the rods. Ill do it some time next week and ill let you know. Why dont you keep the svx rods and beef them up with ARP bolts? How much power are you gonna run your motor at?

chike
I got quoted 379.00 for four back when i was going to build the 2.2 but have since decided that the 3.3 would be better worth my while.
Those pistons on your link are nice and strong will take a lot more abuse than the subaru ones im using but they require the motor to be bored to the limit .020. I dont want to bore the block to its last size or run forged pistons. Forged pistons rock in the bore when the engine is cold (more tear and wear...noise..dirty oil from exessive blowby..) My car will be daily driven so the stock precision cast ceramic coated ej22t pistons is what will suit me best.There are also other 2.2 forged of the shelf pistons available if your going that route. Ispeed and axis racing stocks them. stock ej22t shortblocks have been run to 30 psi and 400hp+ with good results. do a search in nasoic if you want to read up on that, the guys handle is xephyr he sleeps with an 2.2 turbo in his bed next to him
Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:
drivemusicnow Sweet!!
I noticed when i was comparing the pistons side by side that its the svx piston crown that causes the extra length not the rod. I believe the rods are the same length. tom and i are gonna measure the rods and were gonna know for sure. By the way the piston passes the deck only about .010" you could hardly tell.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI
Tom, I havent split the block to get to the rods. Ill do it some time next week and ill let you know. Why dont you keep the svx rods and beef them up with ARP bolts? How much power are you gonna run your motor at?

chike
I got quoted 379.00 for four back when i was going to build the 2.2 but have since decided that the 3.3 would be better worth my while.
Those pistons on your link are nice and strong will take a lot more abuse than the subaru ones im using but they require the motor to be bored to the limit .020. I dont want to bore the block to its last size or run forged pistons. Forged pistons rock in the bore when the engine is cold (more tear and wear...noise..dirty oil from exessive blowby..) My car will be daily driven so the stock precision cast ceramic coated ej22t pistons is what will suit me best.There are also other 2.2 forged of the shelf pistons available if your going that route. Ispeed and axis racing stocks them. stock ej22t shortblocks have been run to 30 psi and 400hp+ with good results. do a search in nasoic if you want to read up on that, the guys handle is xephyr he sleeps with an 2.2 turbo in his bed next to him
Wisecos are made to not do that slap nor do they expand nearly as much as other forged pistons. That is the biggest difference between wiseco pistons and JE, ross, etc. Wisecos are also have ceramic coated skirts. (they don't expand because of the type of metal/something or other that I can't remember that is used which is similar to stock) Also, they come in standad sizes on that webpage as well.

By the way.... I didn't realize you're the 914 guy until today. Thats going to be one REDICULOUS car. twin turbo eg33 in a car that weighs all of what, 1600 lbs? YIKES

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Wisecos are made to not do that slap nor do they expand nearly as much as other forged pistons. That is the biggest difference between wiseco pistons and JE, ross, etc. Wisecos are also have ceramic coated skirts. (they don't expand because of the type of metal/something or other that I can't remember that is used which is similar to stock) Also, they come in standad sizes on that webpage as well.
That sounds good. If the subaru pistons are NLA that would be my next option. You say they have standard sizes? do you know what cylinder clearance they run at? When forged pistons dont expand that much they have very little or zero silicone in the alloy,thats probably what the wisecos have.

The 914 will weigh about 2200lbs with the flat six in it. There are several guys at the 914 club doing subaru swaps of all kinds some ej33 ej20 even some guy with an sti V8 motor with 6 speed sti trans ppg gears $$$$$$.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI
That sounds good. If the subaru pistons are NLA that would be my next option. You say they have standard sizes? do you know what cylinder clearance they run at? When forged pistons dont expand that much they have very little or zero silicone in the alloy,thats probably what the wisecos have.

The 914 will weigh about 2200lbs with the flat six in it. There are several guys at the 914 club doing subaru swaps of all kinds some ej33 ej20 even some guy with an sti V8 motor with 6 speed sti trans ppg gears $$$$$$.
I believe you may have this backwords, however I'm not confident. I thought it was the higher the silicone content in the aluminum, the less they expanded, the lower the silicone content, the more they expand. The difference is the silicone "weakens" the aluminum some.

From what I understand wiseco cylinder clearances are usually extremely tight. Sometime people say that they are TOO tight, however I've not seen anyone have any problems with this. I would call slowboy or wiseco to find the actual clearances.

(I did see a twin supercharged chevy 350 powered 914 a while back that had a complete carbon fibre body with a kevlar firewall if I remember correctly. Had a website up a while back, I checked about a year after I saw it the first time and didn't remember seeing any changes... probably killed him self the first time he tried to drive the thing )

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: