Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 01:31 PM
a12svx

Trans oil cooler

Evening all. I have another question which I hope the collective knowledge-base can answer(!) - is there such a thing as an Idiot's Guide To Fitting A Transmission Oil Cooler To A '92 SVX (or similar title)? And if it is relatively simple, can any one tell me where I'd get the right bits? Incidentally, I'm unlikely to do it myself but I'd like to be reasonably sure of getting it done right!

The reason for asking is that I've had the tranny rebuilt once and as a result I'm inclined to look after it as much as possible! Also, I've noticed recently that the starter cutout seems reluctant to let me restart the engine when it's hot (eg: at a filling-station after a blast on the motorway - and, yes, it is in Park or Neutral; fiddling with the selector and ignition seems to sort it out, but it can be pretty disconcerting, to say the least! Maybe I'm barking up a red herring, but I'd like to see whether a cooler transmission helps.

Any help and advice much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:16 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Fil,

The favourite cooler for the SVX is the B&M 70268. It will fit between the radiator and the A/C cooler. I have a bigger one, the 70264, which I've installed in the area below the battery (accessed from underneath).

There are differing opinions on whether to install the cooler in series or parallel with the stock cooler. I put mine in series. It's simple: disconnect the return hose from the stock cooler and connect it to the outlet of the B&M cooler. Then run a hose from the outlet of the stock cooler to the inlet of the B&M cooler.

There is a wealth of information if you search the site. B&M agents in the UK are Eibach (the suspension people).

I think your starting problem is probably the switch that prevents the car fron starting unless it is in park or neutral.

Phil.

Last edited by b3lha; 05-29-2005 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Same here.

My cooler is the smaller one Phil describes. It fits neatly between the main rad and the aircon rad, and does the job well.

In fact, I have bought another one from Jegs in the US to fit to my Legacy as well.

Also, Phil is probably right about the starting problem as well. You need to get an auto transmission shop to adjust the inhibitor switch. It is connected to the selector lever on the side of the box. Another possibility is your selector cable is out of adjustment. Same result, and it might explain why it's worse when hot, maybe the cable stretches or something. Small adjustment and it should be OK.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-30-2005, 09:01 PM
gettin there....

Send a message via AIM to RedHotSVX Send a message via MSN to RedHotSVX Send a message via Yahoo to RedHotSVX
Trans Cooler

I agree....any added cooling...the better for a trans.....I am putting one in soon,as well as a cooler gauge on the pillar pod so I can monitor it a little closer,the light on the dash is nice,but might be to late once it comes on.
And the inhibitor switch sounds like a excellent place to start for the no start issue,especially if it started after the trans was rebuilt.....the adjustment could be of just enough so that it could be affected by temp changes.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotSVX
the light on the dash is nice,but might be to late once it comes on.
You are so right!!! I've had two transmission failures and have never seen that light come on. Either the light is totally useless or the gearbox temperature sensor doesn't work in our car.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM
a12svx

Of trannies and temperatures in general!

Thanks for all the invaluable information, guys! On reflection, the starting thing did begin after the tranny rebuild, so that will get addressed when it goes in to get the aircon re-charged (last Friday - the hottest May day for 50 years, remember? - I spent 2 and a half hours on the M1 & M25 doing a run which should take 1 and a quarter; windows down and roof open and I cooked!). Then the tranny cooler - who needs a bank balance anyway....?

Thanks again, and all the best.

Fil
Old 06-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by a12svx
Thanks for all the invaluable information, guys! On reflection, the starting thing did begin after the tranny rebuild, so that will get addressed when it goes in to get the aircon re-charged (last Friday - the hottest May day for 50 years, remember? - I spent 2 and a half hours on the M1 & M25 doing a run which should take 1 and a quarter; windows down and roof open and I cooked!). Then the tranny cooler - who needs a bank balance anyway....?

Thanks again, and all the best.

Fil
Fil

Take a leaf. Get the tranny cooler from the US. It will be cheaper and probably quicker. You can get them here from Demon Tweeks, maybe Halfords too, but in my experience they probably order them in from the US distributor anyway, you will have to wait for delivery into and through their system, and by the time you get it they will have delayed you 3 weeks and added a £20 markup for themselves for the privelege of holding you up. Dick Turpin lives!!!!

Anybody out there who has had a different experience, or wants to disagree with this, feel free, chirp up.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Question

Oh, and how far out of London is Addlestone?

The Intergalactic postcode makes one wonder.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Pics in my locker if you want to install the cooler in the wheel well under the battery.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist

Anybody out there who has had a different experience, or wants to disagree with this, feel free, chirp up.

Joe
Joe, spot on as usual. I took your advise a couple of years ago and bought from your site in the US. Easy to fit too. There was a step-by-step instruction available but I cannot find it now. This might help a little. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14329.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 06-02-2005, 03:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
You may want to consider also a trans temp gauge to give "real-time" monitoring of the trans temperature...or to induce ulcers!

I had bought a Dakota Digital gauge to intergrate into the ashtray area (and would disappear when the door was closed) but sold the car before I could install it - the long term plan was for a triple display readout showing before OEM cooler, after OEM cooler and after additional cooler to keep an eye on things and also out of curiosity for the efficiency of each.

Also, would have looked very XB-70ish!!

DEFI-link do something similar where you can daisy-chain a number of instruments in series.

*getting withdrawal symptoms now*

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:24 AM

Registered SVX
parallel, series, temp gauge

When I installed the tranny cooler I also installed a temp gauge. The cooler was in series. I was advised by a tranny rebuilder to by pass the radiator cooler due to it filling up with crud over time (I have a 92). When I eliminated the radiator cooler I had a 20 degree drop in temp at cruising speeds. I have a Hayden stack cooler, 30,000 GVW, I have 99,800 miles on the original tranny (no rebuilds YET ).