Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 05-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Phil & Belha

OBDII on non-US models?

I've been trying to find out how to access the codes on our Legacy, and was pointed to this document by someone on the Legacy site:

http://www.auterraweb.com/faq.html

It says that although America uses ODB II, Europe and UK use a different system called EOBD. I also found a document by Subaru Australia that states that the 3.0 H6 engine has EOBD. So there's certainly a possibility that our 2.2 Legacy also has it and maybe the late model SVXes.

Maybe it would explain why Arthur couldn't find his OBD II connector?

Am I right in thinking that the later model cars don't support the blue-wire-dash-flash trick and the only way to read the codes is with a monitoring device?

Phil.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:13 PM

Smile

Hi everybody.
Just passed after a lot of time away.

Particularly I'd like to salute Joe, Johannes, James, Arthur, Glenn and Peter with whom, in one way or another, I am rudely in "stealth mode" though not on purpose.

Phil, maybe this link will help: http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/

Cheers.

Tone
Old 05-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Me again,

Forgot this one: http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdindex.html (look for the links link; you will get tons of links to information on OBD-II).

BTW, anyone coming over to Portugal on vacations?

Tone
Old 05-28-2005, 05:20 PM

Hi, well I can confirm the UK SVX has no OBD connector ! (£10 for anyone who can put their back out and discover it)
I have all the kit, all dressed up and no place to go, software on my ipaq and an ELM ISO interface. I have tried it on the Forester, it does have the connector, and I get nothing of any sense, I think Subaru must be using a non-standard implemnation. It works on a Nissan I tried it on.
I read that CAN will become the preferred data link so OBD 's days are probably numbered. BMW already have CAN data on unused pins of the OBD connector.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:27 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Tone, thanks for the links.

It's quite possible that UK SVXes missed out on EOBD because it wasn't a requirement over here until later.

Arthur, it's likely that your forester has EOBD rather than OBDII, although most of the monitors advertise that they can do both. But there are several different software protocols that can run over the EOBD connection, so there's plenty of room for incompatibility.

Phil.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:54 AM

I thought eOBD was the ISO version. My Forester is a JDM import to confuse things even more!
Old 05-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-UK
I thought eOBD was the ISO version. My Forester is a JDM import to confuse things even more!
Possibly. The information I've seen on the net is vague and conflicting. The impression I got was that USDM japanese cars use ISO over an OBD2 connection, but EUDM japanese cars use ISO over an EOBD connection.

I have heard that JDM cars use a system called JOBD. Yet another variation on OBD2/EOBD. I really think that the manufacturers create these incompatibilites deliberately to protect their servicing revenues.

I definitely prefer the older system where you just stick the blue wire in the hole and it flashes the code on the dashboard lights. Does your SVX have this?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:36 PM

Yes the svx and Forester have the link wires (why are they so short). I have used it on the Forester, its easy enough to get the information out.

Yahoo have an obd forum, you might find out more.

I see Subaru have a new big suv in the US with the 3.0H6.

Arthur
Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Arthur

Don't know if this is a help, or of interest, but I have a US upgrade manual ['96], and most of it relates to OBD 11 procedures.

Interestingly, it shows the Subaru Select Monitor connecting to the dashboard plug, which I understand you do not have in your car.

In addition to this, it shows how to connect the scan tool to the two plugs in the driver's footwell. These look very similar to the two we use for the OBD 1 procedure , connecting via the blue wire.

One of the plugs is meant for connecting to the Subaru Select Monitor ONLY, and the other is for connecting to what are described as " Data link connector [for Subaru select monitor and OBD11 general scan tool]"

This last piece would seem to indicate that they expected information to be outloaded to "general scan tools" {like what you have maybe?} via this plug in the footwell.

Elsewhere, they warn against connecting other equipment to the Subaru plug, as the Subaru plug is wired differently, and damage may be caused to the circuits.

Is this info any use to you? Do you have any connector plugs in the footwell?

Joe

Quote:
Yes the svx and Forester have the link wires (why are they so short). I have used it on the Forester, its easy enough to get the information out.

Yahoo have an obd forum, you might find out more.

I see Subaru have a new big suv in the US with the 3.0H6.

Arthur
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-20-2005, 11:21 AM

Joe, sounds interesting, can you send the diagrams (I have an eFax number I will pm you if they will fax) I do have a an OBD connector off a subaru so I can wire it up if the signals look OK (check with o'scope first).

I have just got back from 6 days at Le Mans in the Forester, filled solid to the roof with camping gear, great event as usual, but 35 centigrade !

Arthur
Old 06-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
PM me the fax number Arthur. My own fax is broken, but I can do it at HQ.

Another likely would be to scan them to jpegs, and post in my locker. I'll let you know which I manage to achieve or is easiest.

Also, I can bring the book with me to JAE if you want to search it for specifics.

6 days in Le Mans! That's a lot of R&R! Lucky git!

Joe

Quote:
Joe, sounds interesting, can you send the diagrams (I have an eFax number I will pm you if they will fax) I do have a an OBD connector off a subaru so I can wire it up if the signals look OK (check with o'scope first).

I have just got back from 6 days at Le Mans in the Forester, filled solid to the roof with camping gear, great event as usual, but 35 centigrade !

Arthur
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: