Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 03:10 PM

Registered SVX
Bad Vibes

Hi all, I'm looking for answers, pointer or any advise on the well know problem of brake judder. My SVX seems to have relatively new standard discs on the front, but the next stage in "restoration" is cleaning up and servicing the struts, calipers etc. I've seen the discs on offer on ebay (X drilled)in the US and going on past motors solved the problem complete with a set of EBC green pads. I,m trying to keep to originality as much as I can and dont want to go down this road. Anyone care to offer there valuble and much appreciated help.

John

(Air mailed your part yesterday Joe.)
Old 04-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
When you put the wheels on did you torque them correctly? Some people have had vibrations disappear after retorquing.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Registered SVX
Nope, can't say I did I just swung on the wheel wrench like usual. The vibration comes and goes from day to day.......total confused. What is the torque setting by the way?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I tighten all to 50ft.lbs in a star pattern then all to 80ft.lbs in the same order.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:24 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks, made a note and will try,
Old 04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
When and if you go to new rotors, I would suggest going with stainless steel brake hoses. That makes a big difference as well. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-08-2005, 09:21 AM
TonyShaleUK

I had the EBC green with my standard discs. Much better than standard, but fade like crazy after one or two hard stops. When I changed to my Skyline, I was recommended by a brake factors not to use green as they are not designed for such a heavy car (roughly the same weight as an svx). I have put EBC red ceramics on and they are excellent, with no fade at all. Bit pricey but I feel more secure than with the greens
Old 04-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Registered SVX
What price for comfort and quality? I certainly know ebc green worked and created a lot less dust! but this is the pointers/advise I'm looking for and will most likely go with red now. thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Blackbir2001

My first SVX had horrible brake judder, and I tried everything I could to fix it. In the end, the problem was totally resolved by replacing the rear (yes, rear) brake disks.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Registered SVX
Ta blackbird for the pointer, its in for a sevice next week i'll ask them to take a closer look

John
Old 05-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Other braking problem

I cured the judder in mine by having the disks skimmed on the car. Did a right good job of straightening them up too, and was not too expensive, maybe 100 Euro if memory serves.

Right now, the brakes on my Jap import Legacy Rumblewagon are spongy, not inspiring confidence.

A scooby WRX nut tells me I need to change the pads. Either from lying up, or the salt on the sea journey, or both, causes the pads to glaze, so they don't grab the disc.

So I think I will look for the EBC red ones Tony uses, the Wagon is about the same weight as the SVX. Thanks for the tip, Tony.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Registered SVX
Just when I thought things were going good, was out tonight for a run and decided to let her stretch her legs on the M8 on the way home, after 4 or 5 miles at warp factor 9 there seem to be a light rummble building up almost as though it was road condition but when I braked to come of the motorway the bloody thing juddered like nothing else! I cleaned the front brakes 2 weeks ago to discover the bottom bolt/pin was dry and quite stiff, after re-assembled with plenty of copper slip it was so smooth...and then this!!!.......I'll never slag a Nissan Micra again.

Any thoughts on that one?

Time for a wee half.....

John
Old 05-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Juddering to a halt.

John

Sorry to hear of these woes, but Rule #1

Don't panic!

The situation you describe is what most people get when they experience disk warp. It seems to only need one hard stop from plus 100mph speeds to create enough heat to show the problem.

I'm assuming here, you have not changed to new disks, yes?

If all 4 of your disks have enough meat on them, your first thing to do is have them skimmed. This will true them up.

Also, when putting on your wheels, you remember the advice about torqueing up the studs? I tighten mine inthe order 1,3,5,2,4. Doing this torqueing up while the wheels are on the ground is no good You have to do the initial 50 lbs torque up while the wheel is off the ground. Then let off the jack and tighten up to spec. For all 4.

If you want to investigate which disk or disks are warped, you can do the following, but be ultra careful doing it. Get a big garage trolley jack, and lift one side of the car completely off the ground, and take the two wheels off for access. Start the car in P. Leave off the handbrake. Make sure the two wheels on the ground are chocked, and chocked well. The two wheels, hubs, in the air will spin when you engage D. Don't rev it in case the diff locks drive it off the jack, you don't need that problem

Now, if you have a warped disk, you may be able to see the wobble. It may only be a little out of true, and there is a device for measuring Run-Out as our US friends call it. The simple way is hold a screwdriver to the surface of the rotating disk. If it's OK all will be smooth. If it is out of true, it will grab and release the blade. As little as one grab per revolution will give you judder.

Be really careful doing this, make sure your diff lock fuse in in place and working, and keep kids away. Note also, it could be a rear disk as Dave found out on his one, above.

Skimming them if they are not too worn is a good and cheap solution.

Best of luck

Joe
PS
As yours is UK, you will be aware of the pedal pumping back at you with ABS working when braking heavily in slippery conditions? It's only when you feel it in the steering wheel you have a warpage problem.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-07-2005, 05:02 PM

Registered SVX
Joe, thanks again for responding, I will put your sugsestion on my to-do list. Would or could the fact that I have put locking nuts from my Impreza on my svx have an adverse effect on the sistusation due to them having a tapered seat rather than the flat ones on the correct nuts, is there a dedicated type of locking nut for the svx?.
Got the car booked in for a service next Sat 14th, and asked them to pay more attention to the brakes, I would normally do the work my self but it has FSSH and I would like to keep it going, I hate garages they're not as fussy as us but Nobles seem to be good.
As I said before I cleaned the front discs and calipers but not the back ones as Dave pionted out, we will see what happens after the service but need to get it sorted if I'm to pay Peterborough a visit!

Need to go, the ice in my malt is melting!!

John
Old 05-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I would be a bit worried about the Impreza nuts possibly not seating correctly.

This might seem OTT and daft, but to see if it was giving you a problem, I would torque up a wheel with 5 SVX nuts, 80 lbs, then wind off one of them, and replace with the lock-nut. Mind you, John, if the taper was much different than the standard SVX nuts, I would leave it out altogether.

My ice too.

See ya.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl