Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Notall There

Update: Engine's in, just gotta put the inlet manifold & a few little fiddly bits on, will be running on sunday!

Right Glenn, both the knock sensors are on top of the block (got pics!) they are not a hard job to do BUT........taking the inlet manifold off is a pig of a job as there are SO many plugs & vacuum & fuel pipes that are attached to it & the block! Thats why it's taking me so long to get it on!
Not a job to attempt without a good length of vacuum hose, as most of the pipes go brittle & break!

Phil.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:04 PM

Engine in already? Nice one mate.

Typical, how did I know the knock sensor change would be a bugger of a job? Oh well just another job to add to my list of ones that need doing when I book the old girl in for her next bit of work.

I have now stuck four photos in my locker of my new wheels. Take a look and tell me what you think. They're actually a polished gunmetal colour; I fancied a change from the usual silver. The gold rim bolts are a bit bling bling I know but I'm getting used to them.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:28 AM
Notall There

Wheels look cool! I got std wheels powder coated gold! NAF!

Phil.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
They are a little bit bling, but I like them a lot. Imagine they would be difficult to clean if you have to traverse many mucky fields like at winter race meetings and so on.

Like the Monza a lot, looks excellent.

You planning to go to the NEC next month?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
They are a little bit bling, but I like them a lot. Imagine they would be difficult to clean if you have to traverse many mucky fields like at winter race meetings and so on.

Like the Monza a lot, looks excellent.

You planning to go to the NEC next month?

Joe
I'm hoping to get two replacement wheels for my previous set of rims and put them back on the SVX for the winter so my new ones won't get buggered by the salt.

Regretfully the poor old Monza is in dire need of TLC right now but I don't have the time or money to spare for it right now. I may have to make the big decision to get rid of her which is a shame. I'll have to see what the future holds.

No, not going to the NEC, just haven't got the spare time right now.......life is a bit bonkers at the moment.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Notall There

Thumbs up

Hi Guys, got her back together, took her for a drive & seems fine so far! Only did about 30-40mph around town though!

1 question though, How much does everyone else's temp guage move when driving? mine sits about 1/2 way around town, raises slightly with a bit more speed! Not been able to give it a decent bootful yet to see if it shoots up?

I got a 50 mile motorway trip home later, so hoping it's cured!

Phil.

(Got RAC if it plays up! Were's that card? lol)
Old 09-26-2004, 03:03 PM

Mine never goes past the halfway point irrespective of outside temperature, distance travelled or speed. It gets there really quickly and then stays there.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 09-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Notall There

Thumbs up

Yep, it stays there now! Drove it home from portsmouth tonight (about 50 miles) & it didnt miss a beat! (Even with a blast down the bypass at 110!)

I've posted all the pics i took in my personal locker if you want to see what your engine looks like on the inside! lol

& Montza, there's 2 pics of the knock sensors i took for you!

Phil
92 SVX (94k) Claret.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:36 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Likewise

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta
Mine never goes past the halfway point irrespective of outside temperature, distance travelled or speed. It gets there really quickly and then stays there.
Mine also finds the half way mark and refuses to move off it for anything.

Generally gets up there pretty quickly, but on really cold winter mornings, it can take a few miles or so.

I may get to the NEC for a day or two, usually meet up with my Matra pals there. However, not guaranteed yet.

Joe

[Your Monza is one of very few cars I would put in the same category as the SVX. The category being fullsized four-seater GT coupe. Most coupes are compromised by poor back-seat space, and I think of those as 2+2s, rather than fullsized coupes. Sorry to hear she is ailing]

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-27-2004, 02:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Notall There
Yep, it stays there now! Drove it home from portsmouth tonight (about 50 miles) & it didnt miss a beat! (Even with a blast down the bypass at 110!)

I've posted all the pics i took in my personal locker if you want to see what your engine looks like on the inside! lol

Phil
92 SVX (94k) Claret.
Thanks a lot for all the pics Phil. Looks like a lot of work taking out the engine. Have to start on mine soon.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-27-2004, 04:45 AM
Notall There

IT IS Joe! lol

I thing the 'book' time for head gaskets is about 10 hours, YEAH if your a 'dealer'! Well it took me 4 days non-stop inc 1/2 a day for the heads to be skimmed, there are lots of little things which get in the way etc which make it a pain, so if you are going to do it & haven't done it before i'll give you my phone number, just in case!

A few things like marking the cams before you take them out & inlet manifold pipe's are a ***** to do!

Phil,
92 SVX (94k) Claret.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
thanks Phil, appreciate the offer, and I hope to avail of any help you can give.

I don't expect to be taking it apart before November. At that stage, I will have my Legacy twin-turbo out of customs, MOT'd and ready to roll, taxed etc.

Then I will be able to fiddle with the two SVXs without the pressure of having my work car off the road and needing re-assembly quick!!!

Looking forward to it in a way. I do, however, see quite a number of difficulties in the way, but the end result will be worth the hassle, especially as I can take it nice and easy, finish everything to the level of project car.

Not yet sure how I can upgrade the gearbox, as I don't like the usual solution of bolting in a manual from a WRX. I prefer autos.

My dream solution would be to get the nice six speed 4wd auto from the Bentley Continental. I suspect it must have a counterpart for the VW Phaeton, which would be more plentiful. Would be the ideal solution for an upgraded EG33, though I know software conflicts would need an astute technician to sort out.

Nothing's impossible, just takes a little longer!!!

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-27-2004, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Notall There

Phil
92 SVX (94k) Claret.
Great pics Phil, you're braver man than I to tackle that job. An oil change is about my limit.

At least I now know exactly where the knock sensors go. Can they be changed without moving all the crap around and above?

Glenn

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 09-27-2004, 06:46 AM

Re: Likewise

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
[Your Monza is one of very few cars I would put in the same category as the SVX. The category being fullsized four-seater GT coupe. Most coupes are compromised by poor back-seat space, and I think of those as 2+2s, rather than fullsized coupes. Sorry to hear she is ailing]
I agree, the Monza and SVX are chips off the same block. I'd add the new Mazda RX-8 to the list as well.

My Monza can comfortably accommodate four adults and a load of luggage in the hatch. And with the back seats down the load area is fairly huge. I'd be gutted to sell the old girl, I've had her for over 10 years but with another winter approaching I would need to find somewhere dry to put her. She's leaking water into the cabin from both A pillars. But to get to that area to weld would require both front wings off and that would push the price up. If I can get her dry and stop the rot then I could probably keep her as all the other jobs I can either do myself or they can wait until my situation is better.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 09-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Unhappy

Well, sorry to hear that.

One other option you may not have considered is to use a breathable cover over the car to stop rainwater getting in, and the good ones filter UV rays and slow down paint damage.

They come in many sizes and prices, but you could probably get a good one in Argos for 80 or 100 pounds or so.

Along with this I would suggest put in a large container or sachet of Silica Gel desiccant into the car interior. You can keep recharging[drying out] these till the damp in the Monza is gone. You can buy it from :
http://www.geejaychemicals.co.uk/bulkpacks.htm

I suggest the Orange to Green type as it's not toxic. This stuff is cheap, and could hold back the damage till you get to tackle it.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl