How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-26-2004, 02:50 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Struts and mounts

ok so i have a big issue.....theres this clunking noise coming from my drivers side front wheel.....i went to Mavis discount tire and they took me for a ride in the car and put it up on the lift and said nothing is wrong except the struts look original and look like they have never been replaced.....the ride feels fine to me its just that damn clunking noise....so i talked to Mark (zepplin) and he said that i should just change the mounts and that will take care of the noise.....Mavis said they would call me to tell me the price of the mounts and struts.....apparently they are having a very hard time gettin the price so they said they would call me in the morning and we could work something out.....so then i called Rushneck Subaru here in NY and they said they dont have the parts because their special order parts and it costs about 90 bucks for each and labor is 80 bucks an hr....they said a week before i make an appointment with them call them and order the parts.....i cant wait that long because im worried something might happen and that noise is annoying.....i need advice on what i should do.....
Old 05-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Definitely sounds like front strut mounts. I don't think that this means that they are going to fall apart and make a big mess. As far as I know it means that the rubber is worn out. It would be good to get them changed, but again, I don't think anything really bad is going to happen if you don't do it immediately.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-26-2004, 04:08 PM

being that the noise is only from that one wheel is it ok to just change the mount on that wheel and not the other?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:17 PM

From my experience, (not only on SVX) replacing just one is fine, it just means that the other is prone to go at some point soon (although on my old bimmer, the right rear strut mount was so often a problem i welded in a hunk of metal to help it).
It's the same as just replacing one strut. You can do it, but expect to be doing the other one sometime soon.

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
soobiesvx93,
I was discussing an annoying clunk coming from the front end with my mechanic today, and he described it to a "T", as just annoying (not like the CLUNK when a swaybar bushing deteriorated) and occuring over any small bump. He told me there's a bushing in the steering rack mount that's prone to this and only solved by replacing the steering rack, which is prohibitively expensive, and as it's only an annoyance I think I'll just turn the stereo up!
If in fact your problem is the strut mounts it's my opinion you may as well do them both while you're at it, as the other will need replacement sooner than later. Why not do it now?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 05-27-2004, 08:53 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I've never heard of the front mount failing, and in looking at it (I've had it out of the car several times), its pretty stout. When I replaced my strut mounts I was able to determine that the clunk was due to a very slightly notched bearing in the strut mount. It was having no effect on the structural integrity of the strut mount. If you can live with the noise, then don't bother replacing it.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:16 AM

ok mavis discount tire finally got me the price for the mounts......he said for both front mounts including parts and labor it will cost me 376 dolars plus tax.....subaru told me yesterday that for each mount its 90 dollars and labor is 80 bucks an hr....and he assumes it would take more than one hr.....now im not sure who i should go for and who is better for doing this....now i also dont know if my struts itself are bad.....what are the tell tale signs of bad struts?......i know the clunking noise is caused by bad mounts.....other than the noise and feeling like the drivers side wheel is hitting my left foot while its on the rest pedal there is nothing else wrong.....the ride is fine and isn't hard...its still pretty smooth and the car drives fine....this makes me think i have decent struts and i shouldnt replace them just yet...would also save me a bundle on money....the guy at mavis also told me i had to give him a 100 dollar deposit before i order the mounts because if i decide i dont want them he has no use for them....thanks guys for all ur replies....more would be very helpful
Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
I've never heard of the front mount failing, and in looking at it (I've had it out of the car several times), its pretty stout. When I replaced my strut mounts I was able to determine that the clunk was due to a very slightly notched bearing in the strut mount. It was having no effect on the structural integrity of the strut mount. If you can live with the noise, then don't bother replacing it.

I have the same problem. Since it still works fine, I just live with the noise.

Dave