How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-25-2004, 06:46 AM
deruvian

Unhappy Leaky water pump - help

I recently changed out a lot of the items in the timing belt area, including the water pump. I replaced the old pump with a brand new pump, replaced the pump assembly gasket, replaced the thermostat, and the thermostat assembly gasket. I didn't replace the thermostat housing as I didn't see it to be necessary.

Two days ago I took my first big trip since the "rebuild." I drove to Tahoe and back, including some errands in between. This clocked a total of about 4.5 - 5 hours, and approximately 225 miles, round-trip.

Yesterday I noticed substantial radiator fluid loss. I looked under the car while it was idling, and noticed that radiator fluid was dripping. It looks to be leaking where the water pump assembly meets the engine block. Why it is doing this is beyond me. I replaced the gasket using high-temp RTV-type silicon, and I torqued down the bolts for the pump in the proper order, to the proper spec. Maybe the cheesy Chilton's manual that I have has the incorrect torque spec on the bolts? Now that I think about it, maybe I only put the silicon on the engine block-side of the gasket.

So, any suggestions anyone? Should I get back in there, pull the pump, reapply silicon (or maybe something else), and put it back together? Should I replace the water pump gasket again? My Chilton's manual says to torque down the bolts to 7 - 10 ft/lbs... is this right? I torqued the bolts using a dial-type torque wrench, not the click-type that has the adjustment on the handle. Should I invest in a nice click-type torque wrench?

What I'd really like to do is just seal the outside of the pump with a bunch a silicon all over the place. I'd also like to think that would work. Is this a viable option?

Damn it, I hate it when **** breaks! Thank you much everyone.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Leaky water pump - help

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
Should I get back in there, pull the pump, reapply silicon (or maybe something else), and put it back together?
As my Statics & Sttrengths professor used to say "There are two ways to take this class; seriously or again"

You already know the correct way from your statement above. Do the job correctly and you won;t have to be worried about it leaking. Think of the possible consequences if you don't fix it

Todd
Old 05-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well I agree with Todd. You will have to take it apart to fix it and you will need a new gasket. Make sure the engine block surface is clean as well as the pump surface. I use a small amount of RTV on the block side the gasket to hold it in place. Even with that it always wants to twist out of place.

I have done this a few times and getting the pump in there with that rubber gasket on the oil pump side can be a difficult.

I have thought about getting some long studs to screw in the bolt holes. This would help hold the gasket and guide the pump into place.

How about that metal gasket. I am still impressed with the design of the that. It cannot be reused. No gasket sealant is required. I think if it leaks to long it could damage the block.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:17 PM
deruvian

I wasn't suggesting that I not fix it... The first question was somewhat of a rhetorical one

So I need to get a new metal gasket for the water pump assembly, eh? What about that small rubber gasket that's on the side of the oil pump? It doesn't appear to have much usage by way of preventing radiator fluid from leaking, so I didn't replace it the first time around.

Did you say that I don't need any gasket sealant for the metal gasket? That is what I put the RTV silicon on... I'm starting to remember doing it only on the engine block-side. Would it be better to go with or without sealant?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Leaky water pump - help

I saw this statement.....

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

What I'd really like to do is just seal the outside of the pump with a bunch a silicon all over the place. I'd also like to think that would work. Is this a viable option?

which prompted my original post.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'd just hate to see the car strand you somewhere or have a more significant problem due to cutting corners on the job.

Todd
Old 05-25-2004, 07:52 PM
deruvian

Re: Re: Leaky water pump - help

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
I saw this statement.....

which prompted my original post.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'd just hate to see the car strand you somewhere or have a more significant problem due to cutting corners on the job.

Todd
That was more along the lines of wishful thinking. Kind of a "Just joking, unless you're okay with it" thing. lol.

Anyway, I just ordered a new pump assembly gasket, pump seal (the seal between the oil and water pump), and coolant temperature sensor (lately I've been getting a check engine code for it). The car is all taken apart in the driveway, so I'll just be waiting around for the parts now.

Does anyone have some tips on sealing the pump properly?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Hey deruvian I would just replace the water pump gasket and DO NOT USE SILICON!!!! That gasket was not ment to have silicon on it. I did mine and have had no problems. If all else fails use some aluim shot in the rad.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-26-2004, 01:17 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX-FF
Hey deruvian I would just replace the water pump gasket and DO NOT USE SILICON!!!! That gasket was not ment to have silicon on it. I did mine and have had no problems. If all else fails use some aluim shot in the rad.

Steve
So the gasket should just be metal on metal on metal? I originally used the silicon to keep the damn gasket in place while bolting up the water pump. It was really tough to keep the gasket in the right spot while reinstalling the pump. Any tricks of the trade for this?

If that doesn't work, are you suggesting to just use some radiator stop-leak? Thanks!