How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-24-2004, 06:19 PM
calmone

rear bearings question AGAIN

so i got the replacment bearings and although i see everywhere that the grease should be changed the bearings appear to be in a self contained housing. does one still have to change the grease (and how if so) or have the bearings been redesigned?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:37 PM

Yes, the grease has to be changed before installing the new bearing, and here's how you do it (work on one bearing at a time):

1. Each bearing assembly consists of two circular roller bearings, one in each end of a cylindrical metal housing. The roller bearings are held in place in the housing by a cylindrical plastic retainer running through the center of the two roller bearings.

2. Remove the plastic retainer (you should be able to push it out with your fingers). Remove the roller bearings from each end of the bearing housing.

3. Remove the packing grease from the roller bearings using an aerosol electric parts cleaner available at any auto parts store. You will need one can of cleaner for each pair of roller bearings (i.e., two cans total for two complete bearing assemblies).

4. After the roller bearings have dried, you must repack each roller bearing by hand using an appropriate grease (I used Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease, but I'm sure there are other suitable greases out there).

5. Put the newly packed roller bearings into either end of the bearing housing and reinstall the plastic retainer to keep the bearings in the housing until you actually install the bearing assembly in the car.

By the way, all of this information (and more) can be obtained by searching prior "bearing" threads on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA