Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-04-2004, 02:19 PM
tuzem

Hitch for the SVX

Hi everybody,

I'm despirately trying to find a Class 1 hitch for my SVX. I've searched everywhere and nothing... I want to tow my bike from Seattle to Florida and I've found a great 8X4 trailer for it but no luck with the hitches... Even U-Haul doesn't make one for our cars. My bike weights a little over 400lb and the trailer is about 220lb. I'm sure I'd be fine towing it but where do I find the proper hardware for my car. Please, please, please someone help Thanks!

-Nick
Old 05-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Sounds like a heluva bike. I was thinking about getting a bike too, but the only thing stopping me was having no way to transport the thing when I'm not riding it. I'm kind of curious about a hitch setup too, but I would think it would interfere with the rear ground effects.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-04-2004, 02:30 PM
tuzem

Thanks... Like my bike a lot I called a suby dealer and the exact words were :"Uhmm... I don't think there is such a thing for the SVX. Those cars are different, you know..." At this point I think i want to trade my SVX for a jeep or something

- Nick
Old 05-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Nick,

As far as I know, no manufacturer ever made a specific hitch for the SVX as it was a low volume production car. However, I'm pretty sure that a class 1 hitch for another Subaru could easily fit the SVX (or be modified slightly to fit).

The best hitches I know for cars are made by hidden-hitches.com.

Class 1 Hitch for '93-'01 Impreza

Also, the following is a good read:

Hidden-Hitches: How to Tow Safely

Happy Towing!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-04-2004, 03:00 PM
tuzem

Thanks Chike,

That's some helpful info! I'll see about that hitch. The only way I see it happening is to actually weld the hitch to the emergency tow hooks underneath the bumper. I don't konw how safe that could be though... after all I don't want to lose my bike doing 80mph on the interstate.... could hurt somebody and destroy my bike!

-Nick

p.s. sweet score on that lightning I'll trade you my SVX for it See, that way I'll solve my trailer problem as well!

Last edited by tuzem; 05-04-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Nick,

The trailer hitch would need to be welded (or securely bolted) to the frame of the car inorder to be firmly attached to be used for towing.

Thanks about the Lightning. I traded it in for my '96 SVX two weekends ago. It took me a while to learn how to launch it at the track, but once I learnt - THAT THING HAULED BUTT!!!!

Plus it could tow 5,000 lbs which was very useful...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by tuzem
Thanks Chike,

That's some helpful info! I'll see about that hitch. The only way I see it happening is to actually weld the hitch to the emergency tow hooks underneath the bumper. I don't konw how safe that could be though... after all I don't want to lose my bike doing 80mph on the interstate.... could hurt somebody and destroy my bike!

-Nick

p.s. sweet score on that lightning I'll trade you my SVX for it See, that way I'll solve my trailer problem as well!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 05-04-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Might be better off towing the SVX with the bike.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:32 PM
tuzem

hehe! Funny I'd have to deal with a harder problem -- a flat bed trailer for a triumph speed tripple with a 4000lb capacity !!! You know anybody making those?

-Nick
Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 PM
MikeInd

Nick,

Are you moving to Florida? If so what area?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:44 PM
tuzem

Mike,

I start graduate school in January. At this point it would be either Tampa (USF) or Orlando (UCF). Still negotiating the deal so we'll see. For now I'm moving ot Arkansas until December -> I've got my old great job back -> coding for some insurance companies. Are you moving to FL? Lived there before?

-Nick
Old 05-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Nick,
A few years back I too wanted a hitch for my SVX. I found it was cheaper to buy a Brat to do my towing with. It can be done. I found a place that was willing to make one but it would go on the tie down straps which show through the rear bumper. In otherwords I'd have a bar running across as they would weld it to them. The bad thing is these are not designed to do more than hold the car down in transit across the Pacific. If you put too much weight on them it'll cause frame rail damage.

U-haul said they could have one custom made. I gave them a deposit and 6 months later had to fight with em to get it back.

Reese or Drawtite offered to make one if I took the car to their plant in Canada and wait a few days. Cost was like $800.

Your best option would be to have one fabricated locally at a welding shop if they will do it. A lot won't simply out of liablity. Might wanna call around. Only issue is there isn't much room from the rear bumper to the muffler.

Oh yeah, how do ya like that Triumph??? Not a big fan of the sport bike variety but have been lusting over a Legand, Adventurer and esp the new Bonnie for years now. Just want the price to be a little more like my Honda.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:56 PM
tuzem

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the tip. I too found a local shop which quoted me $270 for a custom hitch... It would take them 2h supposedly. That's, of course, without them seeing the car yet I'll go there next Wednesday and find out if it can be done. I also got another recommendation for a shop which supposedly puts hitches on BMW's and all kinds of other cars not meant for towing. We'll see. If I can't put a hitch on my SVX for a reasonalbe price I'm thinking about selling it.... I like my Triumph a lot (plus it's new)...

Speaking of Triumphs... I totally love this motorcycle!!! It's fast, sharp, and definitely different! It's sort of like our car -> people either love them or hate them. Buying a Triumph is like buying a British Harley. Those bikes have been around for 100+ years. Look into the America or the Rocket III -> this bike will be sooo bad ass!!! 2300cc baby! Makes it one of the fastest bikes ever built, and let's mention here that it's actually a Cruiser bike!!! How does 147ft/lb of torquie sound to you??? To me it sounds like a 2.5sec or less 0-60mph time! This means you can pull up to a teenager on a GXR1000R and smoke him on a cruiser Sickening, huh??? )))

http://www.triumph.co.uk/site/bikes/page.cfm?BikeID=83

-Nick
Old 05-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Nick,
The bad thing is these are not designed to do more than hold the car down in transit across the Pacific. If you put too much weight on them it'll cause frame rail damage.
It can however, tow a couch!

Check out 'Couch Surfing' here .

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 05-05-2004, 02:34 PM
tuzem

so that's it!!! I'll just strap the bike to a couch and drag it a whole mile Thanks! Liked the movie a lot though ) hehe!

-Nick
Old 05-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Hey, whatever works. That was a good time though. I'm just glad I was the one driving, not the one riding the couch...

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo