SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 12:55 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
Angry No svx!! :(

well, my svx overheated the other day! like really really bad. after it shut off, i got it to a town. it broke down right as i was about to get off the turnpike in pa. for any of you driven on it, you know what its like there. so i pulled into carlisle to look at an svx i was interested in and parked. when i would turn the key, the temp guage shot up so fast to above the H. so yeah, this inst good i said. i let it sit for about an hour, put in some antifreeze and it was fine for a little while. so i drove it and made it back onto the turnpike. i stopped many times, puttin in more antifreeze each time. it wasnt leaking it, but it eascaped all in steam...thank you jiffy lube for a wonderful radiator cap about a week before. so i think that is the main problem. my dad came up to help me out, and we put in more antifreeze, and it just boiled out and over, like a geyser.

so im not sure what the prob is. i have a feeling the motor may be blown, or atleast severely damaged. we looked in the radiator and there were shards of metal everywhere. i dont know what kind of help i can get from anyone on this, but if you can help, let me know. it is in the shop i bought it from and they are hopefully lookin at it on monday. i feel like a completely different person without the car. i am driving a POS merc. cougar. make me appreciate me car when it was good.

i havent decided if i am gonna get another car or get it fixed if there is something major. i love my car, but i dont know with nearly 240k i can keep it. i will keep everyone updated as to what i am gonna do with it. so look out sometime in the bnear future for e parting it out, or selling the whole thing. here is what i have done...

92 LSl, black with 235000 miles
17" ICW 7 spoke bronze rims
Steves Bumper, primed then painted to match car. not yet installed
Stock rims also, but no tires
Removed Intake Resonator
Over $1500 in audio upgrades..from the internet. It all retails at over 2K
Race Concepts Drilled Rotors
New brake pads
custom switch panel for interior neons
interior neons
brand new floor mats, used only twice. orginal mats used in the car on a daily basis
oil changed every 2500 miles with mobile 1
gold svx logos behind doors

help me with my despression

Last edited by marlettpat; 05-02-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:08 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Sorry for your loss, it might be ok you said it ran alright mabey the thermostat is just stuck not sure about the metal shavings though. Did anybody use a stop leak in it? Were you being sarcastic about the radiator cap? I hope it works out ok.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Green1995SVX

the metal shards would indicate a bad water pump, i would think.

Mike
Old 05-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
based on the information you provided, I am taking an educated guess that your water pump has imploded. If the thermostat was stuck closed, you wouldnt see circulation of fluid it all. Poosible damage from an overheat like this common to the SVX motor is warped heads followed by blown head gaskets. If your car is in good shape, it would not be too much problem to correct these issues. Good luck.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 05-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I'd third the water pump concept. It is still quite possible that you didn't do any further damage. Before I went to the trouble to fix the water pump though I'd do a compression test of each cylinder. Not exactly easy on an SVX but not that hard if you get the right kind of compression tester. Then I'd have it taken to the shop I was gonna get it fixed at and have a leak down test done (to make sure you didn't warp your heads or blow a head gasket). If that checks out I'd get a new pump put in (T-belt and front seals as well while your there). Oh yeah make sure they back flush that cooling system so as to get out your metal shavings.

If ya wanna try it yourself I could probably help ya out. Granted I've never attempted something of this level on an SVX but do have the manuals and would be willing to led a hand.

Assuming it is the water pump which I'd hazard a 95% guess that it is you can get that done with timing belts and seals for under $500. My garage would probably do it for about that maybe a little more if you have them get the parts rather than getting them through a discount Subie place yourself BUT if you do wanna sell I'd possibly be interested. Not in any of the stereo, aftermarket wheels or any of that stuff but just the plain old car.

Last edited by benebob; 05-02-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I'd third the water pump concept. It is still quite possible that you didn't do any further damage. Before I went to the trouble to fix the water pump though I'd do a compression test of each cylinder. Not exactly easy on an SVX but not that hard if you get the right kind of compression tester. Then I'd have it taken to the shop I was gonna get it fixed at and have a leak down test done (to make sure you didn't warp your heads or blow a head gasket). If that checks out I'd get a new pump put in (T-belt and front seals as well while your there). Oh yeah make sure they back flush that cooling system so as to get out your metal shavings.

If ya wanna try it yourself I could probably help ya out. Granted I've never attempted something of this level on an SVX but do have the manuals and would be willing to led a hand.
bob to the rescue! you are the man bob!!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Jimsbaby

if it makes u feel better

hey if it makes u feel any better my motor is dead too...but its mostly my fault it had alot of oil leaks bad seals and it never had the $$ to fix them just kept putting oil in till i had enough $$...going down 422 towards philly and she made a loud banging noise and i looked behind me and there was a stream of oil...and then she stopped...ur lucky u have another car to drive man this using parents to drive me around makes me feel 5 again but 5years old with 30year old bills

92 black on claret 111k miles
cross drilled rotors
steve bumper
after maket shift knob
lots of heavy subs and stuff

ps maybe its a local bug PA svxers look out (fix all oil leaks asap)

good luck with her
Jim
Old 05-02-2004, 11:10 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
whoa.....oil leaks can lead to engine failure??? must obtain money......
Old 05-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson
whoa.....oil leaks can lead to engine failure??? must obtain money......
Yeah, if the owner is STUPID enough to let all of the oil run out... lol..
Old 05-03-2004, 02:00 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

oh, ok im not quite that stupid

i do got to get teh pcv valve done though, hopefully that will cut out the leaks i do have.....
Old 05-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Better check that rear view mirror for an oil trail Mike! Lord knows the oil light won't come on until it is too late. Or you could just knock on some wood .
Old 05-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Jimsbaby

im not that stupid

just so u know i checked it before i left and it was full and on my 10min trip is when something else when that made all the oil go out im not stupid to drive the car with no oil just too poor to fix a thousand oil leaks and actually its cheaper to just replace the motor than fix all the oil leaks

Jim
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: im not that stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimsbaby
just so u know i checked it before i left and it was full and on my 10min trip is when something else when that made all the oil go out im not stupid to drive the car with no oil just too poor to fix a thousand oil leaks and actually its cheaper to just replace the motor than fix all the oil leaks

Jim
that bad eh jimmy? i recommend getting or borrowing some manuals and then grabbing some gaskets from liberty subaru. maybe borrow some tools and provide pizza and beer for some to give you a helping had. should be cheap to replace some of those leaks. a new motor would probably cost over $1k to get it in.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: No svx!! :(

Quote:
Originally posted by marlettpat

help me with my despression
Cheer up, Pat! Listen to Ben, I think he is right on this one. It's not as bad as it would seem at first. The most important thing is that you have not warped the heads. Just thank your lucky stars that the coolant system is seperate form the rest of the internals or your engine really would be shot to hell with those metal fragments from the water pump in there.

Keep your chin up and things will work out.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:07 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
well, back to me everyone! lol. the shop said today i just need a radiator. they fixed whatever else was needed, and i am gonna find out what they did in a few minutes when my dad gets home! YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!