Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 11:09 AM
NorthwestSVX

Exclamation The Great Logo Design Challenge!

Due to the desire for an updated logo, and the discovery of several talented artists in our group, I have decided to announce the Great Logo Design Challenge!

I've thought about it, and though I orginially wanted to have some club window decals and maybe some new shirts available at the dinner next Saturday, I think it is more important that we take a little more time on this issue and get it done right. Once I get the decals and shirts done, I want it to be something people are proud to display, and don't want to have to worry about updating the design again for a very long time. Don't worry, all the goodies will be available shortly after the dinner, and for those that ordered FCII mugs, I still plan to have those (unless the UPS man is slow, but we'll figure it out).

So here's how it will work. I will collect all the logo designs as anonymously as possible. Hopefully I will be the only one that knows who designed what, so that voting can be as objective as possible (not that there would really be any bias in this situation, but just for the artist's piece of mind that there isn't).

We will vote on the winner at the dinner on the 24th by secret ballot. Pretty much all members that have been active lately are going to be in attendance, but if you would like to vote and can not be there, you can PM me your choice. For that purpose, I will put up a post on Thursday the 22nd with all the choices. Sorry, you'll have to PM me your vote, but I won't tell anyone else what you picked! I don't want to do a poll because then there is the possibility of duplicate voting by dinner attendees, or even signing up under lots of aliases for multiple votes. (this is going to be real cutthroat competition!)

The Rules

No kicking, scratching, or poking.

Your finished logo must be emailed to me as a jpeg by Midnight, Wednesday the 21st.

The jpeg should be large enough that it can print out at 100% size and fill most of a 8.5x11 sheet of paper. It doesn't have to be those exact dimensions, your design may be more square (like 8x8), more rectangle (5x11), circle, who knows? And don't dwell too much on the exact size, those are just examples. Basically, I just want the original copy to be large as it would ever need to be, which will probably be filling most of a standard size paper. As most of us know, with graphics programs you can always retain quality by shrinking a large picture down in size, but if you start with a small picture and try to make it bigger, it loses quality and gets all "pixelly". Also note that for the voting, I will probably be printing these in full size on standard paper. That said, of course most of the time it will be used in much smaller size, like the size of the current logo on the web site, or in a 4 inch square on the front of T-shirt. So make sure everything is still legible when shrunk down.

As far as content, the only REQUIRED thing is somewhere it should say "Northwest SVX" or "NW SVX" and also needs to have the web address "www.nwsvx.com". Beyond that, be creative! Some ideas to think about might be to somehow have a picture of the car, or maybe a prominent part of the car, so that "outsiders" can associate the name SVX and our club with a car they have probably seen on the road but maybe didn't know the name. Another idea might be to incorporate some features of the Pacific Northwest into it, to kind of give it the regional feel (ie, mountains, trees, water). Might want to stay away from maps as our borders are only as defined as far as a prospective member wants to drive to a meet (we have a registered member in UT).

The winner releases all rights for their artwork to Northwest SVX. Not sure if anything would hold up in court, but really, we are all just friends so please just respect our pseudo-copyright. Don't run off and start your own group with the same logo, and I'd also appreciate it if anyone that has a way to make NWSVX merchandise, talk to me about it first. I'm not in this to make money, and couldn't if I tried. I don't want compensation for my time, even if some have suggested I should get a little, but I do want to keep my personal monetary "donations" pretty low. So short of asking for donations from others, the only way to do this is through merchandise sales. The stuff we have right now doesn't offer everything members want, and even with the high prices and shipping, I only make $1 off each item. Some alternatives need to be found, but I want to be sure there is some profit generation for Northwest SVX in there. Like I said, just talk to me and we can work something out.

So why should you do this? Well obviously because the membership of the greatest SVX club in the free world will be in your debt for making us look cooler! And of course you will get recognition and become famous, probably get lots of women/men and get offers to do shaving ads and stuff.

Oh, and I'm sure I could think of something to give the winner with their newly adopted logo on it.

Last edited by NorthwestSVX; 01-16-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
The jpeg should be large enough that it can print out at 100% size and fill most of a 8.5x11 sheet of paper.
Any idea what that would be in pixels?
Old 01-17-2004, 03:27 PM
NorthwestSVX

Exclamation Rule change

Not sure on the pixel vs. inches issue, most paint programs have a option to display a ruler either way or show both sizes in the "resize" box. I'll try to look it up on one of mine, but can't right at the moment.

Wanted to let everyone participating know though, that I have decided to loosen up one of the rules. While I'd still like to see the name of the group and the web address on the logo, it does NOT necessarily have to have a picture of the car on it.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:02 AM
NorthwestSVX

Only 2 more days!

Due by Midnight, tomorrow (Wednesday the 21st)
Old 01-20-2004, 04:08 PM
ChrisR

Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone

Any idea what that would be in pixels?
~612x792
Old 01-21-2004, 10:48 AM
NorthwestSVX

Just 14 more hours!

For all who are interested in voting that won't be at the banquet, I will be posting up a thread with all the candidates tomorrow (Thurs).

Online voting will only be available Thursday and Friday, so be sure to check back here one of those days if you want to vote.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisR

~612x792
Only at 72dpi

Just take 8.5 and 11 then multiply them by the desired DPI to get the # of pixles.