SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
The Best Buy place seems to be trustworthy with installations, and carry a 4 year all around warranty for everything (labor and parts), so I just hope they don't screw up.

i bought a radio at Best Buy, and it came with free installation. i was talking to the kid who was gonna do it, and he informed me that the SVX has a factory power amp buried in the dash that needs to be disabled in order for an aftermarket radio to work.

i politely declined the free install and did it myself. i can only imagine how hacked up my car would be after they searched for the mysterious 'hidden power amp.'

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
for the subs, the main power wire should be run through a drilled hole right above and off to the left of the accelerator cable. Finally an aftermarket headunit should be installed. run rca, and a rem wire from the headunit back to the truck which will connect to an external sub woofer amp. Any other way of hooking up subs is kinda pointless and painfuly annying. They say it's harder for the svx because the connector for the radio is rare, in other words no companies have made a plug in connector so they would have to do real work for a change. Also i suggest not going to get them done by any one else, circuit city and best buy will rip you off and **** up your car. Also walmart sels a remote start system for $48. It comes with a video and wiring diagrams for a painless installation. I am sure they also have a keyless entry system too so check it out, WALMART HAS EVERYTHING!!!!! If you need any help w/ the stereo send me an email at Hotmess106@aol.com for any questions i can help you out.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
... They say it's harder for the svx because the connector for the radio is rare, in other words no companies have made a plug in connector so they would have to do real work for a change...
What tomessvx said is correct: None of the after-market harness manufacturers make a radio harness that fits the SVX. So I figured out how to custom make them myself, and have been selling them. For details, please see this other post, here.

I guess I need to keep putting the word out from time to time