How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2001, 12:50 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Exclamation Fine-uh-lee!

I finally got around to developing the rest of my pics from last year's Snowshoe meet. They're in my personal locker (in the pix and stuff folder). It's amazing how clean the car looks after almost 4K miles. I love the first pic. The contrast of the beautiful scenery, all the barns, and the world's largest radio telescope (just to the right of the last barn on the right), is almost too much. Oh, and this is the 1,000th thread -- HOORAY!!! (And, we've broken the 250 member mark -- major kewl!)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-28-2001, 09:13 AM
Headed to Texas...

Cool Ah, memories . . . .

Great pics, Randy . . . that day was just perfect for taking pictures.
One of my best pics of our SVX was taken by Don on that stretch of road near Cass. Beautiful!

(BTW, another milestone - my 400th post!)

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-28-2001, 11:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Ah, memories . . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26
Great pics, Randy . . . that day was just perfect for taking pictures.
One of my best pics of our SVX was taken by Don on that stretch of road near Cass. Beautiful!

(BTW, another milestone - my 400th post!)
I agree. The clouds . . . the colors . . . and, most of all, the company. That was a great meet (except for my fears of it snowing on Sunday when I had to head home, and me with a legacy tranny and no AWD -- yikes). Especially the visit to "The Seven Sisters" restaurant. What a HOOT!

Oh, and congrats on your 400th post. You're catching up with me . . . slowly . . . very slowly . . . very very slowly.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-28-2001, 11:30 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Randy, I love the colours on the photos. They are GREAT!!! The car(s) shine out and the background is wonderful. I am speechless. Great pics!

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-28-2001, 11:41 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Randy, I love the colours on the photos. They are GREAT!!! The car(s) shine out and the background is wonderful. I am speechless. Great pics!

Lwin
Thank you Lwin. So far, they're my favorite pics of my car. Of course, they're the ONLY pics I have of my car (by itself anyway). Destined to become wallpaper on my work computer.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-28-2001, 11:41 AM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Re: Ah, memories . . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I agree. The clouds . . . the colors . . . and, most of all, the company. That was a great meet (except for my fears of it snowing on Sunday when I had to head home, and me with a legacy tranny and no AWD -- yikes). Especially the visit to "The Seven Sisters" restaurant. What a HOOT!

Oh, and congrats on your 400th post. You're catching up with me . . . slowly . . . very slowly . . . very very slowly.

Ummm, Randy - "catching up" means that I'm closing the gap . . . right? Pretty soon, Donnie-boy will follow his bread crumbs right past me!

Speaking of Don, maybe we can convince him that Harper's Ferry ain't THAT great . . . waddya think?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-28-2001, 11:50 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Ah, memories . . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26

Ummm, Randy - "catching up" means that I'm closing the gap . . . right? Pretty soon, Donnie-boy will follow his bread crumbs right past me!

Speaking of Don, maybe we can convince him that Harper's Ferry ain't THAT great . . . waddya think?
Jus to let you know, I've been eating Donnie's bread crumbs. He'll NEVER get outta here <maniacal laughter>.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to stay out of the "Snowshoe Two" planning. I don't want to be an undue influence on it. If I were unable to come and yet there were more who would attend if the meet were shifted to a different locale, then, I think it should be shifted.

Frankly, when I come to a meet, I come to visit. I don't really care if there's much "to do" at the locale. All I need is the people and PLENTY of time to chat and get to know them. But, then, that's just me.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-28-2001, 02:25 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Crummy thing to do!

(rubbing nose...OK who took the bread crumbs? Can't tell a link from a thread without my crumbs...I HATE banging into things....How do I get outta here!!! )

AREDUB!!!!!!!!!!!!

<Speaking of Don, maybe we can convince him that Harper's Ferry ain't THAT great . . . waddya think?>
--------

Hmmmmm....do I detect dissension in the ranks?

I take it that the eastern panhandle is not the place to go? My major thought about it was not the touristy places, although that is nice, but it being close to some of our eastern metro areas; an enticement for the northern Va/D.C./Baltimore/Philly/NY/Md/Del/Pa folks to attend. How about the Skyline Drive in Virginia? Just because we (West Virginia) told them where to go during the Civil War, doesn't mean we can't enjoy their scenery! Hey, I'll go where ya wanna go; Blackwater Falls? I just didn't want to have a place that was so hard to find or get to that it kept people away....
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 07-28-2001 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2001, 02:45 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Nice pics!

P.S. The shot on the road to Green Bank is great Randy. I should have gotten closer to Jerry's car; it looks better with more car and less of the surrounding fields. The GBT shows up better in yours too.

By the way, Jean and I are driving back up to Green Bank tomorrow to see my Russian friend Ilya, who was on my team at the Observatory last year and has returned for the training I took in early June. Jean hasn't met him yet. An added bonus is that his mother has come over this year, and is taking the training that we did last year, so we will get a chance to meet her. Ilya is a teacher in Astrakan, a city where the Volga empties into the Caspian Sea. He teaches physics and plays concert violin. I can't wait to meet his Mom since we are about the same age. We can swap stories about duck-and-cover drills! Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 07-29-2001 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2001, 04:04 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Nice pics!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
P.S. The shot on the road to Green Bank is great Randy. I should have gotten closer to Jerry's car; it looks better with more car and less of the surrounding fields. The GBT shows up better in yours too.

By the way, Jean and I are driving back up to Green Bank tomorrow to see my Russian friend Ilya, who was on my team at the Observatory last year and has returned for the training I took in early June. Jean hasn't met him yet. An added bonus is that his mother has come over this year, and is taking the training that we did last year, so we will get a chance to meet her. Ilya is a teacher in Astrakan, a city where the Volga empties into the Black Sea. He teaches physics and plays concert violin. I can't wait to meet his Mom since we are about the same age. We can swap stories about duck-and-cover drills! Don
You can ask her if her CD rations taseted as bad as ours. Our school was a designated fallout shelter -- boxes of food and barrells of water everywhere on shelves in our cafeteria.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-28-2001, 07:40 PM
Ain't it the truth?

From Russia...with Mother!

< You can ask her if her CD rations taseted as bad as ours. Our school was a designated fallout shelter -- boxes of food and barrells of water everywhere on shelves in our cafeteria>

You actually TASTED that stuff??? Gagggg! Yes our school, the Bluestone Dam, and several other locations in town still have the yellow (sorry!) and black signs and the number of people they could hold. Ilya told me last year, that his mother had told him that she was afraid that she would never get to grow up....that the Americans would nuke Russia back to the Stone Age.......
...weird isn't it? Over here we were digging fallout shelters in our backyards and wondering when the Ruskie nukes were coming our way....

Now citizens of Moscow eat Big Macs, and the grandsons of guys who shot at Zeros drive Mitsubishis.......Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 07-28-2001 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:27 PM

Registered SVX
Re: From Russia...with Mother!

Quote:
< You can ask her if her CD rations taseted as bad as ours. Our school was a designated fallout shelter -- boxes of food and barrells of water everywhere on shelves in our cafeteria>

<<You actually TASTED that stuff??? Gagggg!>>

<<Ilya told me last year, that his mother had told him that she was afraid that she would never get to grow up....>>
Yeah, some buddies of mine and I, uh, "liberated" some of the rations and tried them out. You're right GAGGG! Government potted meat isn't nearly as good as Government Cheese. Especially in five pound cans.

Interesting contrast from the Russians. We Americans don't WANT to grow up.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-28-2001, 08:37 PM
Ain't it the truth?

What a ration...

< Yeah, some buddies of mine and I, uh, "liberated" some of the rations and tried them out.>

In '73 when I spent three days at the Icelandic village that was being buried by a volcano, they fed us some kind of ration out of an olive drab box filled with olive drab cans. We guessed it was about Korean War vintage. Some of it was not that bad...probably at least as good as Fido's Kal-Kan....but whe LOVED the sponge cake! Used them as hockey pucks on the gym floor of the island's high school where we were camped out. They were about hard as an equal sized disc of granite... Don

Old 07-28-2001, 11:02 PM

Registered SVX
Re: What a ration...

Quote:
< Yeah, some buddies of mine and I, uh, "liberated" some of the rations and tried them out.>

In '73 when I spent three days at the Icelandic village that was being buried by a volcano, they fed us some kind of ration out of an olive drab box filled with olive drab cans. We guessed it was about Korean War vintage. Some of it was not that bad...probably at least as good as Fido's Kal-Kan....but whe LOVED the sponge cake! Used them as hockey pucks on the gym floor of the island's high school where we were camped out. They were about hard as an equal sized disc of granite... Don
One good thing about US C-Rations: The "John Wayne" bars. I love those things. I carry a P-38 on my key ring. It has come in very handy in times of emergency. However, I was never in the military. I had a buddy who was stationed at Ft. Campbell for a while. He'd come to visit and bring my Stepsons, C-Rations. I copped the "John Wayne" bars and the P-38's.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-29-2001, 05:19 AM
Ain't it the truth?

P-38....Lightning....fighter....Number 5 is alive! / weather

Ahh ya lost me on the P-38's there Aredub 'ole bud....doesn't ring a bell in this old Navy belfrey; maybe we had a different handle for those.

Earth to Jerry...come in please! As Number 5 would say...INPUT! I need some input here on the Snowshoe or not Snowshoe thing.
----------

It is STILL RAINING! We live on high ground here, but many of our West Virginia people have been hurt badly by flooding over the last several weeks. The National Guard and Red Cross have been everywhere. The town of Mullens was wiped out a couple of weeks back, and Oak Hill was hit bad just this past week. The ground is saturated and can't absorb any more rain. The creek behind our house is roaring like a jet engine. If I start seeing animals going by two by two....I'm outa here! How has it been in your neck of the woods Jerry? Earl? Don