Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 AM

3rd and 4th does not work... BROKEN TRANNY?

OK guys, I need orientation here.
after runing 1 or 2 km out of tranny oil due to a broken hose on the radiator, 3rd and 4th does not engage any more. I replaced the hose and refill with oil.1st and 2nd works fine, but when the TCU command switch to 3rt tranny slips like crazy. I even push the gas up to 5,500rpms but the car only goes back to 2nd. Is this typical of a permanently damaged tranny?
Is there any hope to fix it whitout removing it?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th does not work... BROKEN TRANNY?

If you're sure the fluid level in your transmission is correct, this almost certainly points to a bad high clutch. I would put money on your transmission being bad.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Registered SVX

how low was the fluid, how much did you have to add?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
how low was the fluid, how much did you have to add?
well, normaly when the hose that goes to the radiator is broken , you do not realize until the car start to slip. At that moment, all the oil have being spilled away. that happen so fast. it's not that is was leaking a few over a long period of time, this is suddenly. Can happen to anyone.
I had to add 5 liters.
do you think I can buy a legacy 4EAT and just replace the front diferencial? is this cheaper that getting an svx tranny?
is the JDM tranny good for us? I think the JDM does not have the forced power option...
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Registered SVX

not trying to pass judgement on you for losing fluid. had a similar thing happen to me but luckily it was the hose on the drive side behind the engine and alerted me by massive smoke. it just makes a difference on how damaged the trans is. if it gets low without running out then the friction material can get glazed the same way brake pads do. this can be helped by adding a friction modifier (such as bg trans conditioner). it would be worth a shot to put some in, reset the computer, and see if it helps.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY View Post
well, normaly when the hose that goes to the radiator is broken , you do not realize until the car start to slip. At that moment, all the oil have being spilled away. that happen so fast. it's not that is was leaking a few over a long period of time, this is suddenly. Can happen to anyone.
I had to add 5 liters.
do you think I can buy a legacy 4EAT and just replace the front diferencial? is this cheaper that getting an svx tranny?
is the JDM tranny good for us? I think the JDM does not have the forced power option...
You could actually get a better geared 4EAT from several cars and just change the gearing in the rear diff as well.
Faster take off and other benefits, only downside depending on how low of gearing you do is higher rpm at highway speeds.
I have not heard anyone complain though.
JDM trans does have power option as well, I believe but the problem with most of the auto jdm transmissions is they use the VTD(I think) which means they are 36/64 normally, by that I mean power to the wheels. You also need a jdm trans controller.
There are a few people that have done that conversion but I do not think its a cheap option.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 PM

I´m deep in pain!. It´s -27C outside, but I decided to drain to tranny oil to check the color and add some trany aditives. The oil is stil red but not transparent anymore. darker. Try the transmission again and NO, NO 3RD OR 4TH.
I was expecting to enjoy this car in snow for the first time!
So, any transmission from legacy or outback will wolk but I have to kep teh same relation on the rear dif too.
Is it possible to swap the front dif on the new transmission. That way I do not have to change anything on the rear assembly. I do travel a lot to mass and one thing I like a lot of our SVX is the low rpm at 120kph (75mph) I wold like to keep this relation (4.44)

Last edited by THE NEW GUY; 01-14-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY View Post
I´m deep in pain!. It´s 27C outside, but I decided to drain to tranny oil to check the color and add some trany aditives. The oil is stil red but not transparent anymore. darker. Try the transmission again and NO, NO 3RD OR 4TH.
I was expecting to enjoy this car in snow for the first time!
So, any transmission from legacy or outback will wolk but I have to kep teh same relation on the rear dif too.
Is it possible to swap the front dif on the new transmission. That way I do not have to change anything on the rear assembly. I do travel a lot to mass and one thing I like a lot of our SVX is the low rpm at 120kph (75mph) I wold like to keep this relation (4.44)
Messing around with the front differentials is more work than it's worth. Also, you will lose what keeps the transmissions lasting which is the higher gear ratio. Don't bother with a 4.11 transmission unless it's a 96-98 and very low mileage.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Messing around with the front differentials is more work than it's worth. Also, you will lose what keeps the transmissions lasting which is the higher gear ratio. Don't bother with a 4.11 transmission unless it's a 96-98 and very low mileage.
Nate you need to clear out your inbox

send me a pm when you get a chance
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I agree. I'll put some money together and get this tranny fixed.