Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Electrical Issue

Alright, to start off, about a week ago someone broke into my car and stole the battery and messed up the main power and ground wires. I just got around to fixing the wires and now have a problem.

Basically, everything that should work without the key on works just fine-interior lights, hazards, power locks etc. Also, when the key is put in the ignition, it makes the normal annoying beeping. But, when I turn the key forward, there is nothing, no clock, no radio, no pwr windows, no headlights, turn signals, etc. I have double and triple visually checked the wiring and it all appears in tact. The fusible link and all fuses appear to be good. Basically, I'm not the greatest when it comes to wiring. If someone can point me in the right direction of whatever could cause this to happen. I would imagine it would be a rather short list since everything that works with the key off does, and everything that should work with the key turned forward, doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I do have the battery on a charger because I'm not 100% sure on how much charge it has, but it was just used a few weeks ago to start and move around a car. Also, even with a low battery, the clock should at least come on if the interior lights work. Also, turning it forward, the interior lights don't shut off.

Edit: helps to add that this is my 94 laguna L model that i'm dealing with so no security involvement either, even though that wouldn't do what this is doing.
And I'm trying to look through the wiring diagrams but i'm not the type of person who is able to translate something on paper to what's actually under the hood.

Last edited by 1986nate; 08-24-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Electrical Issue

nvm, Thank you Tom (SVXfiles). Turned out the blade for the fusible link was "pushed down" from the fuse box due to the careless "removal" of the battery. Tom guessed it right away.

Now to figure out what else got messed up that it's got a miss
Old 08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

yeah for tom!

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

"it makes me want to punch a baby...."

I only just now learned about this issue from your facebook ranting, glad you got it resolved without clobbering the nearest infant

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
"it makes me want to punch a baby...."

I only just now learned about this issue from your facebook ranting, glad you got it resolved without clobbering the nearest infant
Lol, yeah... It was more being mad at the f***tard who stole my Optima Red top that I just put in a month ago than anything else.
This week is going much better (for a few reasons) after last week just felt like a kick in the nuts.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Lol, yeah... It was more being mad at the f***tard who stole my Optima Red top that I just put in a month ago than anything else.
This week is going much better (for a few reasons) after last week just felt like a kick in the nuts.
Yeah trust me I know your pain. The last time my car was raped, they tried prying out my head unit, couldnt, so they stabbed it with a screwdriver. Then they tried prying my subwoofer from my box, couldnt, so they stabbed the crap out of the cone with their screwdriver. They took misc crap out of my console and glovebox before finally giving up.... oh and their way in was to punch out my rear slider from the middle and pry it open, with a screwdriver.

Now I just keep everything out of sight, I dont want the screw-drive crew doing any of that to my SVX, or im going Predator on any poor soul casing cars here at night.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Yeah trust me I know your pain. The last time my car was raped, they tried prying out my head unit, couldnt, so they stabbed it with a screwdriver. Then they tried prying my subwoofer from my box, couldnt, so they stabbed the crap out of the cone with their screwdriver. They took misc crap out of my console and glovebox before finally giving up.... oh and their way in was to punch out my rear slider from the middle and pry it open, with a screwdriver.

Now I just keep everything out of sight, I dont want the screw-drive crew doing any of that to my SVX, or im going Predator on any poor soul casing cars here at night.
Yeah, I hear of horror stories like that. It's kinda funny, because I used to have a 95 cutlass supreme, had a 15" kicker L7 in a big ported box, and because the box was so big, actually removed the rear seat and had the 3 amps I had laid across where the back seat was. Had it like this for 2 years. Never had any break in attempts or anything. Had it parked where my laguna was parked on many occasions. (our neighborhood is very safe and quiet normally) And even had the car parked in Milwaukee at times with it like that. Still never had anything happen. Everytime I think back, I wonder how I got so lucky.

All I can think is that someone must have seen me putting the battery in, and was just waiting for the opportunity to grab it. I had it parked across the street the night it got stolen. They didn't even bother grabbing the tool set I had sitting in the passenger seat or anything that was in the center console. Needless to say, from now on my SVXi are always going to be parked in the driveway no matter what. I'm not taking any chances with these.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nate, you said you where sending me the 2 interior pieces that I asked you for when I bought that POS from you. I still haven't got them. So, were you just lying to me when you said you could send them to me? I got the tires you sent, but they are almost as bald as the ones on it, and you said they still had lots of life left.

1995 Lexus SC400- Lexta Z

Last edited by SpadedOne; 08-27-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadedOne View Post

Nate, you said you where sending me the 2 interior pieces that I asked you for when I bought that POS from you. I still haven't got them. So, were you just lying to me when you said you could send them to me? I got the tires you sent, but they are almost as bald as the ones on it, and you said they still had lots of life left.
Not a good thing for our SVX forum...

Keith
Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Not a good thing for our SVX forum...

Keith
Your telling me! I didn't think that someone on this forum selling an SVX would flat out lie to someone, just so they could sell their SVX.

1995 Lexus SC400- Lexta Z
Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadedOne View Post

I drove the car 240 miles to you and didn't have a single issue. Stuff happening weeks after I sell it is not my problem when it was all working fine other than the issues I told you about. You test drove it, you had plenty of time to look at it. Bottom line is that it is a used 18 year old car.

What 2 other interior parts? Also, you said you needed tires that would last a few months. The ones I sent (at no cost to you) had 4/32nds of tread left which is more than enough tread to last that long.

Last edited by 1986nate; 08-28-2010 at 11:02 AM.