Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Re: Another overheating thread

harbor freight wasn't too bad for delivery I ordered the engine lift, engine stand, trans jack, sand blast cabinet from them plus a few misc items over the last year. Most things were delivered around 3 days and a little bit of set up time.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Re-using head bolts is a touchy thing as you cant possibly torque them like new ones. They are meant to stretch a little when you torque them as to act sort of like tensioners on the head. If they have already been stretched, you either have to make them too tight, or they wont be tight enough to keep the head fully pressed onto the engine block during heat up/ cool down cycles. This is how it was explained to me at least. Given the labor involved repairing head gasket leaks, id just use new ones.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 AM

yo, drive it till it blows and just install a new motor for ~700

attarco.com
japanese import motors.... every motor i have gotten from these guys have been A+ (a couple honda motors and the eg33 that was stolen with my last svx!! that one was badass and low miles! it even had good stock mounts hooked to it)

if you are gonna be getting a lift and pulling a motor and all that and spending that kinda money, u might as well get a new motor same price imo.

my current motor has the same problem..... every 500 miles or so the car begins to overheat and i have to put water in (thats if i forget to add it when its cold) the water smells like oil ..... so when it finally gets past the point of running effectively im gonna proly just get the import motor.

mines got 160 on the ticker so its gonna need one eventually anyway..

the motor still runs ok, i just keep water in my trunk i drive 3000+ miles a month so id rather just get a new powerplant than try to spruce up the broke horse thats in there now
Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 AM

double post ooops
Old 03-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb View Post
yo, drive it till it blows and just install a new motor for ~700

attarco.com
japanese import motors.... every motor i have gotten from these guys have been A+ (a couple honda motors and the eg33 that was stolen with my last svx!! that one was badass and low miles! it even had good stock mounts hooked to it)

if you are gonna be getting a lift and pulling a motor and all that and spending that kinda money, u might as well get a new motor same price imo.

my current motor has the same problem..... every 500 miles or so the car begins to overheat and i have to put water in (thats if i forget to add it when its cold) the water smells like oil ..... so when it finally gets past the point of running effectively im gonna proly just get the import motor.

mines got 160 on the ticker so its gonna need one eventually anyway..

the motor still runs ok, i just keep water in my trunk i drive 3000+ miles a month so id rather just get a new powerplant than try to spruce up the broke horse thats in there now
Yo, this is the worst idea I have EVER heard aside from "put some blue devil in it and its good to go". A new used motor is going to have the SAME problem in short time if it does not already

Tom
Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Cam & SoCal LS-L - Yeah, I think I'll end up with new head bolts. No sense reusing old ones for this kind of project. Thanks for the info on the head size, I'll have to make sure I've got a 14mm 12pt handy.

sowise - What do you think about your HF engine hoist / stand? Which ones did you get? I was thinking about ordering these things from HF, but haven't decided yet. I priced out this hoist on their website, and the checkout thing is saying $12 for shipping I don't think that's right, but I'm not complaining if it is. What did you pay for shipping, if you don't mind my asking?

As far as what I'm doing - I spent some time talking to yt the other day discussing my options / the best course of action. I think I've figured out what I'm going to do.

My tentative plan so far is to get a set of rebuilt heads from yt to throw on instead of reusing my existing ones. This eliminates me rolling the dice on finding a local machine shop to go through mine, plus this way I know everything is done correctly and the heads are sound, with no hidden cracks or any other fun things that may be lurking in my existing set. While the heads are off, I'm going to examine the bottom end for excessive wear. If it looks good, I'll leave it alone; if not, then it's new rings and bearings time. It should be OK though, the motor only has 109k on it. I hope it's OK, since redoing the bottom end will add a lot of cost to this (already expensive) project.

I wouldn't feel right ripping the whole thing apart without upgrading something, so I'm planning on grabbing a more aggressive set of cams from Delta to put in place of the stockers. Nothing crazy, but it should be a nice bump over stock. Although I will be sticking with stock springs, valves, and lifters. New OEM Subaru thermostat and water pump will be installed as well, plus knock sensors, iris check valve, hoses, and any other hard-to-access junk I see that should be changed while the IM is off. I think I'm going to leave the timing components alone, since these looked pretty fresh still when I did my cam / crank seals last summer - I think the PO had the TB and idlers done not long before I got the car.

intellibomb - I can't really drive it till it dies, because I don't think this engine will run much longer as it sits - at least, not without daily oil changes. I checked the oil again (after it had sat for a few days) and it's way past the full level on the dipstick, and looks thin. My thinking is that a large amount of coolant is probably getting into it. I'd rather do this now on my own terms during the summer when I can drive my other car, rather than have it suicide in December when I need it and my other set of wheels is worthless.

Thanks for all the help everyone - I hope to start on this within a couple months.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Yo, this is the worst idea I have EVER heard aside from "put some blue devil in it and its good to go".
Tom
We have a quart of that stuff unopened in the shop. Its a good prop to demonstrate the ultimate band-aid hack fix.

If I were morally bankrupt and wanted to offload my own HG challenged car to someone else, I might use it just to see what happens.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 AM

That looks like the same engine lift I purchased from HF, as far as engine stand I bought the cheapest one because our engine isn't heavy when compared to V8's and some of the others. Both items work great as far as I am concerned. Can't say on the shipping because I made the decision to buy it and knew it would cost some extra. Sometimes I am willing to pay extra if it is convenient or hassle free and saves me time.

As for intellibomb's comment the problem with buying a used engine is it will still cost you way more. Like Tom said your used engine will likely have the same failure (or more) because you don't know the condition of it, timing belt, water pump etc. You don't know the condition or history of the previous driver. Fixing your existing is the cheapest route even after buying all the tools if you are going to DIY the work. His gasket is leaking to the point it won't last a few miles before overheating, there is no run it till it blows. (Though I bet it will idle all day long at perfect temp).

Another option for saving money and getting good help and tools is if you live around a military base and know anyone who lives or works on the base. Most bases have Auto Hobby shops. You can rent stalls with vehicle lifts, they have tools you can use and certified mechanics to talk to for information (though most likely not familiar with subaru or the SVX specific).
Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
Cam & SoCal LS-L - Yeah, I think I'll end up with new head bolts. No sense reusing old ones for this kind of project. Thanks for the info on the head size, I'll have to make sure I've got a 14mm 12pt handy.

sowise - What do you think about your HF engine hoist / stand? Which ones did you get? I was thinking about ordering these things from HF, but haven't decided yet. I priced out this hoist on their website, and the checkout thing is saying $12 for shipping I don't think that's right, but I'm not complaining if it is. What did you pay for shipping, if you don't mind my asking?

As far as what I'm doing - I spent some time talking to yt the other day discussing my options / the best course of action. I think I've figured out what I'm going to do.

My tentative plan so far is to get a set of rebuilt heads from yt to throw on instead of reusing my existing ones. This eliminates me rolling the dice on finding a local machine shop to go through mine, plus this way I know everything is done correctly and the heads are sound, with no hidden cracks or any other fun things that may be lurking in my existing set. While the heads are off, I'm going to examine the bottom end for excessive wear. If it looks good, I'll leave it alone; if not, then it's new rings and bearings time. It should be OK though, the motor only has 109k on it. I hope it's OK, since redoing the bottom end will add a lot of cost to this (already expensive) project.

I wouldn't feel right ripping the whole thing apart without upgrading something, so I'm planning on grabbing a more aggressive set of cams from Delta to put in place of the stockers. Nothing crazy, but it should be a nice bump over stock. Although I will be sticking with stock springs, valves, and lifters. New OEM Subaru thermostat and water pump will be installed as well, plus knock sensors, iris check valve, hoses, and any other hard-to-access junk I see that should be changed while the IM is off. I think I'm going to leave the timing components alone, since these looked pretty fresh still when I did my cam / crank seals last summer - I think the PO had the TB and idlers done not long before I got the car.

intellibomb - I can't really drive it till it dies, because I don't think this engine will run much longer as it sits - at least, not without daily oil changes. I checked the oil again (after it had sat for a few days) and it's way past the full level on the dipstick, and looks thin. My thinking is that a large amount of coolant is probably getting into it. I'd rather do this now on my own terms during the summer when I can drive my other car, rather than have it suicide in December when I need it and my other set of wheels is worthless.

Thanks for all the help everyone - I hope to start on this within a couple months.
Evan, there is no reason to buy a hoist... You can typically rent them from tool rental places... If all else fails, drop down into Jersey City and pick mine up until you are done

Tom