How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Registered SVX
oil leak

my car has been leaking a little oil from the valve covers but not enough worry about. Now its been sitting for awhile and my bottom where the timing belt cover is and oil filter just in the middle its soaked in oil. idk what that could be. front crank seal maybe? oil pump? idk
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: oil leak

more than likely the cam and crank seals, mine does too
Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Ditto. Crank seal first, probably seeping from the cam seals as well. We swapped a JDM EJ25 into my friend's Outback a couple years ago and as soon as the motor turned you could watch the oil running down the front of the engine. Were you planning on doing the timing belt any time soon? It's a good excuse to get in there and replace all the seals.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM

My 92 SVX had over a quarter million miles on the odo and when I bought it, she was seeping out every seam, cam seals, valve covers etc.

Synthetic oil is really good at getting past seals, so first, if you have synthetic oil I would recommend going back to a mineral oil 10, 15 or even 20 weight. I just switched back to a good high end 10W40.

Then the magic cure
Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer
http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/luca...stabilizer.htm
You can pick this up at many auto parts outlets.
It has worked wonders for my SVX. No more leaks, smoother running, better fuel economy (pays for itself), better piston ring seal (less blow-by, no more blackened oil) and no more oil consumption between changes. Brilliant!
I know this sounds like an advert. but this stuff really works and if you Google it, you will find a huge following and no negatives.
They also have an engine stop leak additive, but that was not necessary for my engine, the stabilizer did the trick.

I was so impressed with the results that I now use their fuel additive, automatic transmission additive, power steering additive and added the oil additive to my differentials when I changed the fluid in them.

Last edited by Jazz; 01-15-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Lucas is great stuff, no doubt. I've been using it in my oil as well for almost a year. However it is a bandaid fix. Your motor is in no better condition than it was before you added the Lucas, you've just plugged the holes. Nothing is fixed, it's just been made liveable.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Registered SVX

I agree with the cam and crank seals. Not too difficult to replace, and there may be a write up on this forum, but a search could easily verify that. Messy, messy, messy
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 PM

Registered SVX

i was always wondering , back in the days 2 or 3 years ago i did replace my cam and crank seal, do you think it would be possible because those are new that weaker ones, "H.G." could start leaking too because the compression is made where it is weak ? because after 2 or 3 months my H.G. blown, well my car has been stolen too after changing cam\crank seals, "god only knows what those bastards did to it"....i found it back but the car started overheating,oil in radiator etc....now the car a total wreck but still do you think it is affiliated with the fact i changed those ?....i'd probably think its cause of the bandit
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill

Last edited by Francis; 01-15-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Registered SVX

i have synthetic blend in it right now. it runs alright. but i should just put ol 10 30 valvoline in it.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Lucas is great stuff, no doubt. I've been using it in my oil as well for almost a year. However it is a bandaid fix. Your motor is in no better condition than it was before you added the Lucas, you've just plugged the holes. Nothing is fixed, it's just been made liveable.
No doubt, adding Lucas and switching away from the synthetic is not going to repair degrading rubber, but if it just a matter of a little oil seeping out of the valve covers and such, why go through all the trouble of replacing them? The problem is oil leakage, the Lucas was a real and easy cure.

Well…. I guess there are 2 kinds of cars. There are cars that are tools and cars that are toys. A car that is used daily and you rely on it for transportation to work and back and such. Or a car that is an ongoing project of passion that can sit for days unused.
Right now I need my car every day and do not have time to pull it apart, it is a necessary tool. Once spring rolls around and I get my motorcycle back on the road, the SVX will be sitting for 6 months and I will have lots of time to toy with it. Until then, this Lucas stuff is my cure.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Registered SVX

its still leaking pretty good. its about time for an oil change on it. I drove it today and it was -7 in the morning and a high of 15. I wanna put thicker oil in it but kinda of scared starting it up in these elements.