Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered fabricator

Re: My Super Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giugiaro View Post
i am not looking to max the turbos rather rely more on the valvetrain mod and less on them. I am planning to go up to 550hp rather than 550whp with those turbos.
Okay, if your goal is 550 hp or less they will certainly do the job. However I still believe they really are too small for the engine, and especially for the rpm potential that cams and headwork would provide.

I've been in some WRX's that were pushing the stock TD04 near it's limits. Response is awesome as you'd expect, but the engine peaks very early and has no top end power to speak of due to the heat buildup (inefficient turbine flow) and boost drop in the upper gears (usually 19 psi in 1st gear dropping off to 15-16 psi in the upper gears). Basically I'd expect you to have to shift at 5500 rpms or so regardless of cams and headwork, it will just fall off like a rock on the top end so no use revving it that high.

Maybe consider some VF39's instead? You can get these off STI's pretty readily and cheaply. I've seen STI's making 340-350 whp and 440 w/torque with stock VF39 turbos. That would put you near 700 with your buildup at the appropriate boost levels.

Just a thought anyway.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-19-2009, 03:29 PM
boostin to the outer space

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
Okay, if your goal is 550 hp or less they will certainly do the job. However I still believe they really are too small for the engine, and especially for the rpm potential that cams and headwork would provide.

I've been in some WRX's that were pushing the stock TD04 near it's limits. Response is awesome as you'd expect, but the engine peaks very early and has no top end power to speak of due to the heat buildup (inefficient turbine flow) and boost drop in the upper gears (usually 19 psi in 1st gear dropping off to 15-16 psi in the upper gears). Basically I'd expect you to have to shift at 5500 rpms or so regardless of cams and headwork, it will just fall off like a rock on the top end so no use revving it that high.

Maybe consider some VF39's instead? You can get these off STI's pretty readily and cheaply. I've seen STI's making 340-350 whp and 440 w/torque with stock VF39 turbos. That would put you near 700 with your buildup at the appropriate boost levels.

Just a thought anyway.
i have thought of the VF's Bob. but again there is the safe gearbox constraint at 550 hp.

let me start wiht those turbos for now and later when my system proves to be solid i can always upgrade. it just seemed 100$ as a nice figure for a couple of 5k fast spooling TD04's.

furthermore all my parts and cam timings are calculated according to a professional tuning program.

Last edited by Giugiaro; 08-19-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giugiaro View Post
i have thought of the VF's Bob. but again there is the safe gearbox constraint at 550 hp.

let me start wiht those turbos for now and later when my system proves to be solid i can always upgrade. it just seemed 100$ as a nice figure for a couple of 5k fast spooling TD04's.

furthermore all my parts and cam timings are calculated according to a professional tuning program.
Just thinking out loud again, but if you ran the VF39's anyway, you could get the 550 hp at a much lower boost level than with the TD04's and with lower resultant heat. Less thermal stress, less pressure, lower EGT's etc. And you could rev it higher as well. In short, you'd have the same power but with greater efficiency and lower stress on all components.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 AM

Bob I have already said that the VF's are the next step. but you don't know anything about my setup. the turbos will not be located inside the engine bay rather outside. they are going to be cooled all the time.
i got the two TD04's for $100 both, a good VF costs around $500 each, but they are the next step after the build is completed.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:43 AM

Some minor updates, with the major parts purchase near completion.

A set of heads were machined with oversized valves:

Also needed a more agressive profile for cams, so the old ones will be scrapped in favor of a new profile. Should have them on hand in a matter of two months. keep tuned.

Last edited by Giugiaro; 01-13-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM

I think the td04's will work well and boost fast. If they run out of usable air up top on a WRX then they will hold boost all the way up on the SVX a little more since half of the displacement of the SVX is 1.6. A Turbo will reach its limit sooner the higher the displacement of the motor its on. Theres some 1.6 Miata guys running these td04l-13t's and they hold 15 psi boost all the way up to redline no problem.

Last edited by OBI; 01-26-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Registered SVX

How much material was taken off of the heads when resurfaced? Is your piston/cam/valve set-up going to be zero-interference?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI View Post
I think the td04's will work well and boost fast. If they run out of usable air up top on a WRX then they will hold boost all the way up on the SVX a little more since half of the displacement of the SVX is 1.6. A Turbo will reach its limit sooner the higher the displacement of the motor its on. Theres some 1.6 Miata guys running these td04l-13t's and they hold 15 psi boost all the way up to redline no problem.
i don't know frankly, i am using the td04's for testing the setup. if i feel i need more kick, i will upgrade to something more... convenient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
How much material was taken off of the heads when resurfaced? Is your piston/cam/valve set-up going to be zero-interference?
just a little bit to clean it up, you can say it was polished. and no, with the planned setup, it will definitely be an interferent engine.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Registered SVX

thats a lot of money down the drain if your timing belt breaks..."knock on wood". Good luck with your build. I cannot wait to see what kind of real world numbers you are able to achieve.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
thats a lot of money down the drain if your timing belt breaks..."knock on wood". Good luck with your build. I cannot wait to see what kind of real world numbers you are able to achieve.
thats why I'm sure he will change it even before the normally recommended intervals. There is much more to be gained from an interference motor in terms of performance. Of course, that comes with a risk...
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX

True. Everytime you change it though you have to be uber careful not to misalign a cam pulley or the crank pulley or...well, you know. I would rather not have the headache. But then again, a set-up like this looks worth the headache.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 AM

well for the heads, i am copying Jack Laverty's setup but with a turbo profile (cams) rather than n/a. the turbo setup costs more since you have to install valves that can stand the heat of the turbo, so i used nimonic alloy for that

as for the timing belt, since this car will not be a daily driver, it will be changed each 1.5 years or 10K miles whichever is closer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: