Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 PM
You have been Nforced!

Can't clear codes

I've tried to clear the codes out of my car a few times now, and it doesn't seem to be working. Has anybody else had this problem? Would stored codes make the car run like crap? codes stored are: 23 / 37 / 38 Maf / O2 left side / torque control. I've got a 5mt so I'm not worried about the torque control code.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nforcer View Post
I've tried to clear the codes out of my car a few times now, and it doesn't seem to be working. Has anybody else had this problem? Would stored codes make the car run like crap? codes stored are: 23 / 37 / 38 Maf / O2 left side / torque control. I've got a 5mt so I'm not worried about the torque control code.
Have you done the torque control bypass mod? I believe that with the mod in place, you shouldn't be getting the error... whereas without the mod in place, it tosses an error. I could be wrong; I still have my 4EAT, so I need the ECU's torque control!

As for the other codes, are you sure that those things aren't broken? I mean, I get code 37 all the time, but it's because the wiring on that oxygen sensor really is shot. I also got a Water Temp Sensor warning once, and pulling the sensor proved that it was also shot. Replacing it removed the error.

I've never run into a situation where clearing the codes didn't actually clear them, unless the problem remains.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Clearing the codes is not that big of a job. It's easier than we make it.

Pull the Negative Cable off the Battery.
Turn your iginition to Full On, without trying the starter.
Turn on your headlights. It only takes a second, or two for the residual to let go.

Your codes are clear. If there is anything still there after that, then you still have hardware producing them.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 04-09-2008, 07:41 AM
You have been Nforced!

I'll pull the neg. in a few minutes and let you know how it goes. I've replaced the oxygen sensors and I've replaced the maf. Is there a certain spot in the oxygen sensor wires that usually goes bad that I can look for?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nforcer View Post
I'll pull the neg. in a few minutes and let you know how it goes. I've replaced the oxygen sensors and I've replaced the maf. Is there a certain spot in the oxygen sensor wires that usually goes bad that I can look for?
As long as you have already taken the corrective action on the errors, you should just need to follow ShiuludeSVX's advice. The o2 sensor codes are feisty and hard to clear so the only way seems to be by unplugging the battery.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM
You have been Nforced!

I've replaced the O2 sensor and the Maf. But when I went to undo the battery cable, this is what I found. Does anybody know what these plugs go to? One of them has part of the same harness as my left bank o2 sensor.

driverside by the steering linkage.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Drop YT or OT a PM. My guess is that they're connectors for the 4HEAT that aren't needed anymore since you've got a MT.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-19-2008, 07:58 AM

Re: Can't clear codes

I have a similar problem, I have code 11 and 29 and I can't clear them. I tried both methods (two blue wires connected and battery removal) and none of them worked for me. What I found strange:
1. With the battery out of the picture the gas tank indication still works. It looks like there is some charge in a capacitor or local battery that still powers some parts of the system. Is the ECU memory part of that?
2. Code 11 and 29 are both related to the crank sensors. They are monitoring the engine rotation. When I put the battery back I could still read them even if the engine wasn't started at all.
Did anybody experienced any trouble with these sensors as well?

I verified both the sensors and, indirectly, the harness: I could measure around 80 Kohm between the two pins of each of the two connectors going to the crank sensors. This proves that the the two wires are not shorted and they see the input impedance of the ECU.
Any thoughts on this?