Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 01-27-2007, 07:37 AM

replacing headlight unit

Hi all,

so I just went out to begin replacing the headlight with a plastic one I have acquired, only to find that it seems more tricky than I thought it might be. Can anyone describe, or point me towards an article that describes, step by step removal and refitting of the headlight assembly? There seem to be 3 bolts which I can't begin to think how I will access them at the end toward the grill. Do I need to remove the grill (seems I do) and if so, how do I do that? I have found the fastenings at the top, but it appears to be bolted to the headlights at the base and again, I have no idea how to access this bolt!

HELP!

I must ask before I bend and snap something and then have to source more hard to find parts!!!

Thanks for all help!
John
Old 01-27-2007, 09:39 AM

Ha ha,

well impatience and pride got the better of me and I went back out to investigate. I loosened the radiator and looked behind and saw that the bolts that hold the light in, screw into captive nuts so I knew that wasn't the way to get at them. With this in mind I pulled at the central grill/perspex unit and out she came, revealing the light fittings!

Back inside now and all is done. I've used a japanese import assembly as a temporary measure until I can find a glass unit. As some of the connections were different I have swapped ALL the wiring sraight over and all is well. If I had a bit more time I would have drilled out the manual level adjuster on the import unit, and then fitted the motorised part from my UK spec lamp.

All I need now is to replace/repair the silver bumper skin, and then my SVX will almost be back to its previous standard, bar a small dent in the pointed tip of the left wing. I hope I can sort these bits soon too.

John
Old 01-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
There are 2 bolts that you will see after you remove the front grille.

The 2 bolts on the other end of the headlight housing are found once you remove the front turn signal. Loosen the phillips screw from the bracket that is attached to the turn signal lens housing (under the hood close to the fender) Pull the lens assembly forward and straight out and you will see the two bolts on the side.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 01-27-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:05 PM

Its cool. I've got it fitted now, but thanks.

Joe, as a matter of interest I noticed when fitting the JDM unit that it comes with the integral inner fog lamp...BUT my UK one just had a blanking plate with now buld behind or wires connected. You mentioned that the JDM ones don't have that and the UK ones do. Not sure whats going on there but thought it may be of interest?

John
Old 01-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling_project
Its cool. I've got it fitted now, but thanks.

Joe, as a matter of interest I noticed when fitting the JDM unit that it comes with the integral inner fog lamp...BUT my UK one just had a blanking plate with now buld behind or wires connected. You mentioned that the JDM ones don't have that and the UK ones do. Not sure whats going on there but thought it may be of interest?

John
Hello John

Glad you got her sorted

I'm sorry I did not see your post Saturday. I was pulling the valve chest from a 4EAT and up to my elbows in ATF!

I see John rowed in to help you.

Yes, I'm sure I mentioned to you way back that the JDM plastic ones have the third lamp on the inside [as do US and Canada and Down Under]. The Glass headlamp market [Europe] got a silvered blanking plate, no fog lights.

We have speculated before that possibly this could be that the motor for the levelling of the beam in the glass ones is using up the only spare circuit available in the loom or on the fuse boards. If true, this would seem to be penny pinching of a tall order!

However, it is also possible that there is a regulatory problem in some of the markets that we are not aware of. For instance, if the German TuV regulations forbade the placement of fog lamps and dip lamps on the one horizontal plane, to avoid confusion for on-coming motorists, then the Japanese style headlamp would be technically illegal in Germany. This is very, very probable as a reason, it would be interesting if some of the German SVX people could advise us about this.

I mention the above because I am also a member of the Matra club. All Murenas sold in Germany had to have a flat glass plate bonded to the double curvature foglamp lens under the bumper. Regulations forbade plastic lenses at that time, 1981.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Hello John

Glad you got her sorted

I'm sorry I did not see your post Saturday. I was pulling the valve chest from a 4EAT and up to my elbows in ATF!

I see John rowed in to help you.

Yes, I'm sure I mentioned to you way back that the JDM plastic ones have the third lamp on the inside [as do US and Canada and Down Under]. The Glass headlamp market [Europe] got a silvered blanking plate, no fog lights.

We have speculated before that possibly this could be that the motor for the levelling of the beam in the glass ones is using up the only spare circuit available in the loom or on the fuse boards. If true, this would seem to be penny pinching of a tall order!

However, it is also possible that there is a regulatory problem in some of the markets that we are not aware of. For instance, if the German TuV regulations forbade the placement of fog lamps and dip lamps on the one horizontal plane, to avoid confusion for on-coming motorists, then the Japanese style headlamp would be technically illegal in Germany. This is very, very probable as a reason, it would be interesting if some of the German SVX people could advise us about this.

I mention the above because I am also a member of the Matra club. All Murenas sold in Germany had to have a flat glass plate bonded to the double curvature foglamp lens under the bumper. Regulations forbade plastic lenses at that time, 1981.

Joe
Australia did not get the fog lights, front or rear. We arn't allowed to have fog lights.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That's news, Harvey. I did not realise that.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM

Registered SVX
Joe, down this way the JDM fog lights are OK, as are separate after market fog lights. However nothing other than red lights can be shown at the rear.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Joe, down this way the JDM fog lights are OK, as are separate after market fog lights. However nothing other than red lights can be shown at the rear.
We had the same laws here once Trevor. They were enforced to such an extent that rear reflectorised number plates in Ireland had to have red reflection material. It was considered that the white material reflected enough light to qualify as a "white light" to the rear.

Nowadays they are standardised to Euro regulations, and are white front and rear.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
We had the same laws here once Trevor. They were enforced to such an extent that rear reflectorised number plates in Ireland had to have red reflection material. It was considered that the white material reflected enough light to qualify as a "white light" to the rear.

Nowadays they are standardised to Euro regulations, and are white front and rear.

Joe
We also have reflector plates but the authorities are sensible enough to recognise the difference between a light and a reflector. In point of fact fog is very seldom a problem which we encounter.

The different ways sane people, in various countries can come up with odd regulations is interesting and must cost consumers a lot of money. Many regulations involving electrical issues are stupid. However differences in respect of covering climate are a more logical requirement.

We will be told off for wasting a valuable facility. So have left out the pleasantries.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 PM

Cool No fog lights in New Zealand either

Mine was new (to NZ specs) - so I am the proud owner of 2 metal blanking plates & no fog lights.

Also in the rear middle lighting plastic here in NZ we only had the following -

LI LS REVL REFL NUML NUMR REFR RS RI

L = left
R = right
S = signal
REV = reverse
NUM = number plate
REF = reflector

But after breaking mine (trying to load MTB onto rear carrier) here in NZ the Subaru guys wanted NZ$1100+gst to replace - got one from USA (Ebay) with the following configuration for US$50.00 -

LI LS LS(brake) REVL NUML NUMR REVR RS(brake) RS RI

all wiring was fitted - so just unplugged mine & plugged new one in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: