Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 04-23-2006, 12:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to Maineman1963
Svx Parts On Ebay

Seems an import SVX being broken for parts and just appeared on Ebay. For example an 80k autobox etc, check www.ebay.co.uk item no 4634346508 for other items as well. Captain Paul may be a screen perhaps ?

David
Old 04-24-2006, 02:42 PM

I certainly do Maineman, I pulled his contact details earlier today. Looks like the box is a goodun. Reckon to have a go but it will probably go out of budget. It may be my best option rather than fit the manual box just yet.
Regards to all,
Captain.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Phil & Belha

I emailed him about some grayspray dashboard parts, but he said he's thrown them away because nobody wanted them.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Captain hi I believe the box has done 80k kms ? think there was a STI7 6 sp box on Ebay ! Go the whole hog !!! Cannot imagine a manual SVX - where would be without that gearbox made from Cadbury dairy milk !
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 PM

Hi Maineman, at present I am out of fast cars, my old legacy has died on me and my only transport is a transit, a suzuki supercarry and an autogas austin metro van. Add them all together and it gives me about 140 mph, I would like to achieve that speed with one vehicle that drives with any working gearbox and a windscreen. My 93 dark grey UK SVX will do fine.
cheers all,
mr skint,
Captain Paul.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain paul
Hi Maineman, at present I am out of fast cars, my old legacy has died on me and my only transport is a transit, a suzuki supercarry and an autogas austin metro van. Add them all together and it gives me about 140 mph, I would like to achieve that speed with one vehicle that drives with any working gearbox and a windscreen. My 93 dark grey UK SVX will do fine.
cheers all,
mr skint,
Captain Paul.

Aye aye, cap'n

I didn't know your car was the dark grey Paul. I love that colour.

John [blueji] in Scotland has that colour, it looks very fine. If I was in the market for another one, I would wait till I found a nice grey one like yours.

Or I could be tempted by that beautiful Mica Ruby and Black combo, but they only come as imports.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks Joe, yes that colour looks good even with a bit of regular usage between cleaning, looks even better with a good spiv.
Meanwhile, back to the parts on Ebay, I've decided to pull out of the bidding on the gearbox as I know it will be out of budget for me.
Top bidder on the ABS pump is from Isle of Man, is there an SVX on the island? Possibly for another car.
Oh well, time to broach the cargo and splice the mainbrace as the sun is well over the yardarm.
Cheers all,
Captain.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks Joe, yes that colour looks good even with a bit of regular usage between cleaning, looks even better with a good spiv.
Meanwhile, back to the parts on Ebay, I've decided to pull out of the bidding on the gearbox as I know it will be out of budget for me.
Top bidder on the ABS pump is from Isle of Man, is there an SVX on the island? Possibly for another car.
Oh well, time to broach the cargo and splice the mainbrace as the sun is well over the yardarm.
Cheers all,
Captain.
I was not watching the parts. A good box is hard to find. Let me rephrase that......

I don't know of an SVX on the Isle of Man. However, last year at the show, a guy introduced himself to me, because I had the twin-turbo Legacy with me. A key person from the Twin Turbo register lives there, and uses the www a lot. It is possible I suppose that the same pump fits both. It's also possible there is an SVX on the Rock we do not know about.

It would be interesting to see which is the case.

Ah yes, yardarm. Now that reminds me of a yard of ale....

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Phil & Belha

The gearbox on ebay has 50K miles on it.

What do we reckon is the average lifespan of an VTD gearbox?

Our first one lasted 83K miles
The rebuild only lasted 40K miles.
A friend of mine has a pearly which is starting to slip at 50K.

On that rather limited set of data, I make the average lifespan about 58K.

Our 94 is currently on 122K miles so we're driving it very gently.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha

On that rather limited set of data, I make the average lifespan about 58K.
Your data is good enough Phil, and probably indicative for a Standard box, standard treatment.

Many in the US have very high mileage cars with the original gearbox.

I reckon the secret is to put in the additional cooler, and change the oil once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Proper and indeed fussy care is cheaper than a rebuild every 58K

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-30-2006, 05:15 AM

Well guys our black beauty is on 96k miles and no record of any rebuild, no additional cooler and nothing extra re oil changes etc. Touch a big piece of wood no problems to date. Guy I know of has a UK car with 140k miles and he has had it from new and no problems. Trick also seems to be just keep it in drive not manual or Power/economy etc. Shame really ! I have a 5 speed auto on my 5 series diesel BMW and the manual/sport function on that is superb and very reliable. Now wonder if I could transplant one in to the SVX .........
Old 04-30-2006, 07:39 AM

Oh well, auction over, abs pump to IOM, box to Sean from Bishop's Stortford.I let the box go due to Sean's proxy bid being over my budget. If I had bid my budget £201 then I would still have no box and it would have pushed Sean's bid up another £75, only person to gain would be the vendor. Meanwhile I will attempt to repair my own box, have a Chilton manual and a van full of tools and several clever mechanics for advice.
Anyone elses opinion welcome, will pull away only in manual, once on the roll will drive ok in auto, sprag?
Cheers all,
Captain.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Oh well, auction over, abs pump to IOM, box to Sean from Bishop's Stortford.I let the box go due to Sean's proxy bid being over my budget. If I had bid my budget £201 then I would still have no box and it would have pushed Sean's bid up another £75, only person to gain would be the vendor. Meanwhile I will attempt to repair my own box, have a Chilton manual and a van full of tools and several clever mechanics for advice.
Anyone elses opinion welcome, will pull away only in manual, once on the roll will drive ok in auto, sprag?
Cheers all,
Captain.
Captain, I don't know enough about how an auto gearbox works to answer your question. If you ask this question of Harvey in Coff's Harbour, Australia, user name OAB_AU, send him a PM, Harvey will give you a considered answer of what may be wrong.

I can tell you this; if you have to pull away in MANU, then this indicates first range is not working. MANU automatically [excuse the pun ] starts in second range to avoid slippage in mucky conditions. It is likely your car is driving OK, using only three ranges, 2, 3 and D.

To me, this would indicate one of your clutches has seized, the one that operates first gear, I don't know enough to guess which one.

BTW, I drove my first SVX for nearly a year using only 3 and D! The engine is torquey enough to pull away OK from a standstill in 3, a good trick really. I marvelled at how it could pull from zero to 100 mph in one gear. I got the tranny rebuilt then.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-09-2006, 01:18 PM

Hi all, just received a text about a screen for about £50, this one must not get away.
With regard to gearboxes, although we will be stripping my 4EAT and I have that manual box in my lockup I was wondering if the box from an auto Impreza would be a possibility, anyone know, may be better posting on a technical thread.
I cannot imagine driving an impreza through an auto box, must be dreadful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: