How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Rear facing converible child seat???

Anybody know of a good one for the svx or bigger xt6? My little one is now too long for the infant seat and I'm not allowed to bind her feet. No breeder comments needed as I won't even trade the 6 for my mom's turbo legacy even straight up. I like getting 30-32 miles a gallon from my flat 6.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 PM
SVX Voyeur

I have a Graco. She can go forward facing around a year or when she starts walking. This is when mine fit otherwise I could not really have someone in the front passenger seat.
1981 FIAT Spider 120,000Miles

50% Boxer
Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 PM

I have a Britax in my SVX (http://www.britaxusa.com) and we have one in MrsRotorflyrs Outback.
She used to have a Graco (I believe) and we kept having to readjust the straps on it so it both would tighten down equally, got to be a pain so I replaced it with the Britax
They are expensive but worth it in my opinion, I will say however there are any # of good seats on the market these days (but I know the britax fits in my SVX.... )
On thing to realize though is if you have it rear facing, pretty much any seat is going to be a tight squeeze
Old 01-31-2006, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Lightbulb

Definitely get a britax marathon. Just prepare yourself for the cost (260 dollars) its one of the best seats available. I'm a CPST (child passenger safety technician) and its the best seat.

It has so many great things about it i could write you a book!

First off it has a small base so it will fit well in the couture of the seats and wont mess up the leather. Which is nice b/c lets face it this is your svx

Its a great seat b/c it can be used rear facing to 33 pounds. The longer a child rear faces the safer she is. The legal minimum may be 20 pounds AND one year but many children do not have strong enough spines to withstand a frontal impact crash in a FFing seat until they are 18 months old. She is also more comfortable rear facing b/c her legs wont dangle (as she gets taller she may choose to cross them or to put the up against the back of the seat) the dangling causes most kids legs to fall asleep. Here are a few links for you to look at about rfing:
http://home.earthlink.net/~carseatsi...ce_article.htm
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx (this one has crash test videos and is really good)
http://cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx (this one is an album of older kids in RFing carseats)

The marathon also has a harnessing limit of 65 pounds, which means you wont need to get a new seat till she's 5 or so. Harnessing is safer and most kids aren't mature enough to sit still enough for a booster until they are 5 or 6.

It also has built in lock offs which is basically a built it locking clip. So you'll never need to fight with the metal ones. It also makes for much faster installs so you could buy one and after you get the hang off installing it you can use it in 2 or more car with no issue.

Its also has no twist straps so you wont have to replace the harness or risk her safety b/c of the straps being twisted (a big plus as you'll be using this seat for years!)

And the best part of the marathon is it comes in nearly a dozen cover choices so you can get one in a pattern thats not too babyish and is cool enough for your SVX. (really it isnt the best but come on its cool)

Heres a link to britax's convertible line : http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cf...BB37CC23C00ECF They offer 3 different American marathons (the decathlon is a marathon with extra padding and the boulevard is a marathon with extra side impact protection. They both sell for close to 300 dollars.) They also offer the roundabout which is a nice seat but is still 200 dollars and only harnesses to 40 pounds. (a good choice for those who want to move on to the husky but as the husky is too wide for the SVX it isnt the best route for you. )

The graco seat is not a very recommended seat. It has ridiculously low top slots so the kid out grows it early and you'd need a different seat.

Cosco makes the senerca, its only 39 to 49 dollars and it rear faces to 35 pounds. Its a ok seat its the cheapest on the market and fairly narrow so it should work in the SVX.

You'll want to avoid the cosco 3 in 1 line. They are NOT 3 in one. And they wont fit in the svx properly. (anyone who has one of these should PM me. As its very very likely you missed some very very important info in the manual b/c they 'forgot' to put it in the manual and never did an official recall!)

OK well there's my book. I think i'll end it with: DO NOT TURN YOUR CHILD FORWARD FACING UNTIL THEY ARE 30+ POUNDS. Their ability to walk is not a factor in their ability to live thru a crash. And pediatricians tend to get parents to FF their children b/c they dont know the facts (they get APA bulletins that say at 1 year they should be able to survive. We get NHTSA bulletins that say that children are dying from being turned too early.) Turning them early is dangerous, turning them late is smart.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Somebody is well prepaired for motherhood
Other than that im at a loss of words
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-31-2006, 07:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
I'm a certified CPST which means its my job to know about this stuff and educate parents and kill myths out there about car seats and children's safety.

I actually cant have kids of my own but as an engineering student i got hooked on seats and took the certification classes to help parents protect their kids. Our town has one cop who went to the classes passed one of two tests and got his certification by the skin on his teeth then after he took his classes he came back and 'taught' every other cop in our area how to install seats with one out of date over head shield seat in a police car with no latch. They let any cop install seats at the seat check up meets and when i have seen some very scary things being done by the cops too. (And its awful b/c i show the parents how to do it right but they do it the wrong way b/c thats what the cop said was right. drives me nuts.)

car seats are my life it seems but its come in handy a few times. (and its gotten me some odd looks from new parents.)
Old 01-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
lol, yeah, gotta hate when people trust a higher position over a higher education. Sheesh, adults....seems they never learn Babey seats may be a strange expertice, but hey, If it helps one person its probly worth the effort.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-31-2006, 09:21 PM
SVX Voyeur

Dreamingodfspeed is right. Britax is where it is at. Not everyone can afford one thou. I only put my guy forward facing after 30 pounds and he is 15 months. In reality he goes in my Volvo 99% of the time. The Sweedish Tank.
1981 FIAT Spider 120,000Miles

50% Boxer
Old 01-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Yeah, volvo's are indestructible. I heard of one that had managed to flip and land on a cement baricade, upside down. The person driving got out like nothing happened, and the car had barely a scratch on it. If that isnt a safe car, Im not sure what is

Old 01-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Hater

get that kid some oontz!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-31-2006, 11:44 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
get that kid some oontz!

tiiziight