Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-05-2005, 06:20 PM
SVXtra

A few thoughts on your articulate post Bipa.

* The vast majority of Americans do not want Marijuana legalized.

* A slight majority of Americans I believe would like to see Marijuana Decriminalized and prescribed for use under a physicians care.

*Two things inspire me - the starry universe above and the moral universe within.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Bipa

You are probably right. Latest "reputable" poll I could find:

Medical Uses of Marijuana: Opinions of U.S. Residents 45+
Research Report
Jean Kalata, AARP Knowledge Management
December 2004
http://www.aarp.org/research/referen...residents.html

Note: this poll is from older adults over 45 years of age which will skew results, but is nevertheless indicative of how the older half of US thinks (and usually they are the ones with the real power in any country)

Overview:

Of the 1,706 United States residents age 45 and older surveyed...

72 percent agree that adults should be allowed to legally use marijuana for medical purposes if a physician recommends it
59 percent believe that marijuana has medical benefits
55 percent say they would obtain marijuana for a suffering loved one
33 percent think that adults should be allowed to grow marijuana for medical purposes
23 percent think that marijuana should be legalized

-----
"If you're not confused, you're misinformed"
Hardesty to Caruso in Tom Clancy's "The Teeth of the Tiger"
-----
Old 08-06-2005, 12:57 PM
SVX Appeal

My question is what percentage of those polled have actually given it anything more than a moment of deliberation using information gleaned from a source other than a ten second sound byte on the evening news? After years of "drugs are bad" propaganda, it's highly unlikely the majority of Americans can form a truly educated and unbiased opinion on the issue. Not too long ago the vast majority of Americans didn't want electricity in their homes. Too dangerous. Thankfully we've come a long way since then, but we still have a lot further to go.

72 percent agree that adults should be allowed to legally use marijuana for medical purposes if a physician recommends it (Because physicians are always right and never needlessly prescribe anything they shouldn't, like, oh, antibiotics.)
59 percent believe that marijuana has medical benefits (...but have no idea what they are or how they work.)
55 percent say they would obtain marijuana for a suffering loved one (I'm not sure how that question is even relevant, but do they mean legally or illegally?)
33 percent think that adults should be allowed to grow marijuana for medical purposes (...except for psychological well-being, and stress therapy.)
23 percent think that marijuana should be legalized (...but for the wrong reasons.)

The current debate on medical marijuana, as opposed to other illegal drugs, is that they should be legalized for medicinal purposes. They ought to be legalized because criminalizing their use is foolish. ...or at least there's an argument that's strong enough for some people to think so. The medicinal use argument only works for marijuana. Other illegal drugs, which often don't have a legitimate medicinal use, will still be wasting tax dollars in fruitless efforts to control their use. The issue needs to be turned on it's head and approached from the other direction. Currently the media hasn't really given any thoughtful analysis - probably because the public as a whole can't digest anything larger. Individuals are fairly intelligent, but collectively we're a bunch of morons. Our brains are like cars in traffic: If you have too many of us thinking at one time and you get gridlock.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
My question is what percentage of those polled have actually given it anything more than a moment of deliberation using information gleaned from a source other than a ten second sound byte on the evening news?
Zero.

That's a huge problem, and one few people consider. Most people (in my estimation) look at a poll like that, see that 59% of those polled believe that pot has legitimate medicinal uses, and figure that the majority rules. It's a really sick cycle - people believe it so it must be true.

Honestly, I don't know a damned thing about pot other than what friends of mine were like when they were on it. I couldn't tell you whether or not it has medicinal uses because I haven't looked into it. Most people, however, refuse to make that distinction. People in this country sorely lack critical thinking skills.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-07-2005, 11:53 AM
SVXtra

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know a damned thing about pot other than what friends of mine were like when they were on it.

Over the decades my experiences with marijuana while serving in Vietnam, attending parties and seeing people smoke at rock concerts,etc,etc have been mostly of a very positive nature. Where problems generally accrue with marijuana consumption is when other drugs and especially alcohol are mixed with it. I think its important to consider the fact that United States drug policies over the decades concerning marijuana have been based largely on misinformation, misguided fear and out right lies. Often times the people who are creating our drug laws [ the politicians] have absolutely no experience from either a social or medical stand point on what they are voting against. They are often times just following the wishes of there political leaders, major campaign contributors and the political winds of the moment;in the hope of keeping there job.

Last edited by SVXtra; 08-07-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: