Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
High speed internet in the boondocks???

wonder if anyone can point me to such a thing, I'd like to keep my quick connection when I move far far away
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Hitchhikin'

Satellite. Check out dish network or directv, I think one of them has the option. Very high ping, though; useless for games, and you can't use VPN, IIRC.

Plus, it's VERY expensive. I think it's in the $100/month range minimum. But I haven't checked it out for almost a year, so times may have changed.

Another option is wireless broadband, if you can get cellphone service. Verizon has the fastest data connection, using EV-DO, with transfer rates in the megabits/sec, but it has high ping as well. That should be $80/month for unlimited use. Cingular also has wireless data, but its EDGE network tops out at 384kbps and still costs $80. I don't know the details of Sprint's data network, but they were aiming for an EV-DV network, which is faster or the same speed as Verizon's network, but I don't know if it's been rolled out yet. I don't know their data price, but I've got a coworker with Sprint's unlimited data plan for free (it's an extremely high calling plan in the $100+/month range, with free unlimited data add-on, but I don't know any more details). You can get cheaper prices with Verizon and Sprint if you know what you're doing (it usually involves not buying unlimited data, and using a different data plan), but I haven't been keeping up-to-date, so I wouldn't know how to advise you to use those tricks.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:51 PM
SVXtra

I found a rather inexpensive [$100 a month] way to say in touch with unlimited internet access, satellite/cell phone,GPS and email access from anywhere in the world. I purchased a Nextel Black Berry 7520 with the optional international calling plan,unlimited U.S phone and internet access. But since the Black Berry can only read Java script you must purchase a one time $20.00 aftermarket program that converts Java to HTML. So now basically I'm carrying a portable lap top computer and satellite phone with an extremely accurate GPS on my belt..

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-22-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Hitchhikin'

What speed is your internet access, and why do you say you have a satellite phone? A Blackberry is essentially a PDA cellphone, and Nextel has a lot of dead spots, especially in the boonies.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:16 PM
SVXtra

I'm not sure what the internet access speed is but its quite fast. And one must go through a communication satellite to make international calls or a GPS satellite to find ones fixed location. I also have several other programs installed on my Black Berry for my specialized needs. Nextel has recently merged with Sprint and has also developed partnerships with dozens of after market specialty suppliers to provide Black Berry programs and services that are nothing short of amazing..

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-22-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Green1995SVX

I have an unlimited data plan with T-Mobile, and use my BlackBerry as a modem with a USB cable whenever I am in a place with no high-speed intarweb. Works great.

Mike
Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Bingo! I think I see a winner I would only need 1 phone, the mobile that way, lets see, $40/month for cell phone, $30 for land line, $30 or so for DSL, $100 for all that is really cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
I found a rather inexpensive [$100 a month] way to say in touch with unlimited internet access, satellite/cell phone,GPS and email access from anywhere in the world. I purchased a Nextel Black Berry 7520 with the optional international calling plan,unlimited U.S phone and internet access. But since the Black Berry can only read Java script you must purchase a one time $20.00 aftermarket program that converts Java to HTML. So now basically I'm carrying a portable lap top computer and satellite phone with an extremely accurate GPS on my belt..
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Hitchhikin'

If the data aspect works off the cell network, make sure you have reception in your area.

SVXtra, do you have a link to info about the satellite portion of the Blackberry? I always thought satellite phones were bulky, with poor voice quality and ridiculous by-the-minute charges.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
If the data aspect works off the cell network, make sure you have reception in your area.

SVXtra, do you have a link to info about the satellite portion of the Blackberry? I always thought satellite phones were bulky, with poor voice quality and ridiculous by-the-minute charges.
...and the GPS side too. Don't you need a seperate GPS receiver for this, linked via bluetooth?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 07-24-2005, 08:38 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I have both data plans from Verizon and Cingular. Verizon's EVDO network is a hell of a lot faster. I use it on my laptop. The cingular's GPRS connection is a lot slower but is a good backup.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
...and the GPS side too. Don't you need a seperate GPS receiver for this, linked via bluetooth?
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/so..._telenav.shtml
Old 07-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
I have both data plans from Verizon and Cingular. Verizon's EVDO network is a hell of a lot faster. I use it on my laptop. The cingular's GPRS connection is a lot slower but is a good backup.
I can't imagine Nextel even coming close to Verizon's speed, since the last system that I heard they were going to implement was WiDEN, which would get only something like 132kbps max, 90-100kbps average. That's even slower than Verizon's older system (CDMA 1x RTT), which gets 153 kbps burst and 128 kbps average, and which you can get with minutes-only charges if you know what you're doing. I used to use that to stream 128kbps MP3s to my PDA back in the day. Also, I think I got the numbers for Cingular/AT&T messed up in my previous post.. 384kbps for WCDMA (select markets only, IIRC), 56-80 kbps for GPRS (depends on # of channels available), and 100-something kbps for EDGE.

Most important thing with wireless data, though, is reception.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX
Now that just isn't fair. We don't get that service or model around here

I am hanging on for the day that I can get a smart phone with built in GPS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: