IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2002, 10:32 AM
svxeno

Re: Trust me, It could be worse!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
I feel your pain Aredubjay, but I would trade you in a heartbeat. I have not been able to drive my SVX now for 3 weeks (one of the reasons I have not been seen here). I am fairly sure it will be many more weeks before I can drive my SVX. Like I said, it could be worse. Your engine compartment could look like this:

With my parts list getting way out of hand, I will be lucky if I can drive it by summer. Can you belive they want over $200 each for motor mounts?!?
Good thing its starting to warm up. My mode of transportation has been either the mountian bike or the thumb.
Chris,

Now that I've recovered from that photo. Was this a voluntary project or what caused you to have to go to this extreme?

I'll bet this lightens up the weight of the car just a bit.

Randy (Hoping to never see that again) ii

ps: Still thinkin' aboutchya Randy i, hope it's back soon!
Old 02-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: lets see.......

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

Uhm, change the stereo? Is this something you do on a regular basis? If so, and the thought of not doing it gives you some sort of withdrawal pains, maybe I could donate my '95 for the weekend. Chust choking. (Though I know you'd rather not hear it.)

Have a good weekend anyway. Do something, like, with the wife and kids, or something.
I have a replacement stock stereo I bought some time ago. Since my current unit has volume/treble lights out and the CD player keeps spitting and skipping, I'm hoping to replace it with the replacement stock unit.

Funny that you should joke about donating your car, because (as a testament to how great this community is) there has been a member offer one of his SVXes for me to drive as a loaner if it takes too much longer for them to repair my car. That is SOOOO COOL.

Meanwhile, my wife left town on Thursday (no, not because I've been such a creep about my car) for a conference in Denver, CO and won't return 'til tomorrow. My kids are going to the movies. My daughter thought it would be neat to treat her brother to a day out together (my kids are so cool).

So, I'll stay home and chill (I need it) and spend some quiet time and plan what I'll be doing with the SVX the next few weekends in preparation for Reading III. I can hardly wait -- I'm getting really torqued at the prospect of seeing 40+ SVXes at this get together that I began rallying so hard for three years ago!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-23-2002, 02:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Trust me, It could be worse!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
I feel your pain Aredubjay, but I would trade you in a heartbeat. I have not been able to drive my SVX now for 3 weeks (one of the reasons I have not been seen here). I am fairly sure it will be many more weeks before I can drive my SVX. Like I said, it could be worse. Your engine compartment could look like this:

With my parts list getting way out of hand, I will be lucky if I can drive it by summer. Can you belive they want over $200 each for motor mounts?!?
Good thing its starting to warm up. My mode of transportation has been either the mountian bike or the thumb.

Chris,
Thank you for that visual. I feel MUUUCCCCHHHHH better now.

I don't think I could stand seeing my engine bay without an engine. It's difficult enough just seeing it with pressure taps running from under the car into the cabin. No telling what kind of inside clean-up I'll be in for when I get it back.

200.00 apiece for engine mounts is ludicrioius! I'd go looking for some "chunk rubber" and carve me out some "real" engine mounts.

Best of luck on EVERYTHING in the future.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-23-2002, 09:16 PM
I look like Gordon

Wow, Randy. I've been out of town for a week and I was sure you'd have a happy "back-in-business" story by the time I returned.

Mine is going in the shop on Monday. I have a torn ps outer CV boot and an obvious vibration in the joint. Thankfully it is covered by the warranty I purchased (which has officially paid for itself after this visit). They promise it will be done in two days at the most. I plan to hold them to that, because I leave for two and a half weeks in the Philippines on Thursday, and the thought of having it parked away from home for that long gives me chills.

I hope everything goes well for you.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:18 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Randy, If I were you, I'd have the tranny shop switch you SVX front Diff onto your (still sitting around) Legacy tranny and run it, if they switch the front diffs you'll still have your AWD, and they could fix the SVX tranny on thier time schedule, to be ready if the Legacy one craps out, you said the Legacy tranny worked great, and they should be able to swap diff and put it in your car in a day.
I know if I had a good tranny sitting around, it's what I would do.
My 2 cents
And my offer is still open.
Good luck,
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Diffident

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
Randy, If I were you, I'd have the tranny shop switch you SVX front Diff onto your (still sitting around) Legacy tranny and run it, if they switch the front diffs you'll still have your AWD, and they could fix the SVX tranny on thier time schedule, to be ready if the Legacy one craps out, you said the Legacy tranny worked great, and they should be able to swap diff and put it in your car in a day.
My 2 cents
Good luck,
Huck, this is what I would try to do also, if only to get value from the Legacy tranny.

One possible problem I see though. The individual 4 forward speed ratios that the Legacy tranny puts out are likely lower than what the SVX box puts out. If the front and rear diffs are the same ratio, should not be a major problem, though. Probably make the car better at accelerating.

Everyone will want one!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-24-2002, 11:38 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
My 2 cents
Good luck,
I hope it doesn't come to that. Seems to me they're working on the SVX on their own schedule anyway.

Meanwhile, I am learning patience. God knows, I could use a little virtue in my life.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Question:

Have you made it clear to these guys that this is your primary transportation? As much as I disagree with the practice, I know a lot of mechs that figure if a car is a go-fun toy they'll work on it as they damn well feel.

Just a thought

Beav
Old 02-25-2002, 08:31 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Question:

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Have you made it clear to these guys that this is your primary transportation? As much as I disagree with the practice, I know a lot of mechs that figure if a car is a go-fun toy they'll work on it as they damn well feel.

Just a thought

Beav
Yes, I've made this clear to them on every occasion . . . but, they "seem" to be surprised, every time I bring it up. They were also amazed at the fact that I didn't just have a third car lying around to take up the slack. Boy, are they gonna be freaked when that third car turns out to be another SVX.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Re: Question:

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes, I've made this clear to them on every occasion . . . but, they "seem" to be surprised, every time I bring it up. They were also amazed at the fact that I didn't just have a third car lying around to take up the slack. Boy, are they gonna be freaked when that third car turns out to be another SVX.
Yeah, I can see the dollar signs in their eyes from here!

Beav
Old 02-25-2002, 05:09 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
My 2 cents
Good luck,
Hi Huck,

Let me see if I understand this.
1. The SVX front differential will fit in the Legacy tranny, so then the front and rear diff's are the same.
2. The Legacy tranny will bolt to the SVX engine.
3. What about the transfer case? Can the SVX transfer case be swapped into the SVX tranny so everything is the same length? I know they use the same transfer valve/solenoid assy.
4. The wiring harness is in the same place?
5. The drive shaft fits okay?
6. The SVX TCU works with the leagacy tranny?

Hey Randy, I hope you get your car back soon.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:13 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Question:

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Just a thought

Beav
Randy, You could print out a copy of the POLL we did where everyone of us (mostly) uses the SVX for commuting. The SVX is a fun way to commute for most.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:03 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Hi Huck,

Let me see if I understand this.
1. The SVX front differential will fit in the Legacy tranny, so then the front and rear diff's are the same.
Right, this would be using the original Diffs, front and rear.

Quote:

2. The Legacy tranny will bolt to the SVX engine.
This is correct.
Quote:

3. What about the transfer case? Can the SVX transfer case be swapped into the SVX tranny so everything is the same length? I know they use the same transfer valve/solenoid assy.
The transfer case, AKA rear housing, is identicle on all AWD 4EAT trannys, so no need to swap them.
Quote:

4. The wiring harness is in the same place?
Yes
Quote:

5. The drive shaft fits okay?
Yes

Quote:

6. The SVX TCU works with the leagacy tranny?
Worked in mine, the only thing different between a Legacy tranny and a SVX tranny, is the gears in the Front diff, the Torque Converter, and an extra clutch disk in each forward gear clutch basket(as I'm told).

So to use the Legacy Tranny you need to
1. Use either the SVX front & rear diff, or the Legacy (lower geared) Front & rear diff.

2. To use the Legacy Torque Conv. you must also use a Legacy Flexplate(Flywheel)
or use the original SVX Torque Conv.(I'd advise getting it rebuilt to be sure any shavings from the bad trannywere removed) then you can use the original flexplate.

3. the Speed-O sensor will mount to the Legacy tranny, just like on the SVX tranny.

4. The SVX tranny mount will work.

It's definitely easier to find a Legacy tranny than a SVX one, and usually cheaper too.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"