Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-14-2005, 07:40 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I'd check to see if the under carriage is wet after the wash. Car washes also offer hot wax and a bunch of other stuff that doesnt get used and they steal your money.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Engine is pretty bulletproof but as we get more high mileage svx's here I have read more and more stories of head gasket failures.

Still have yet to hear of any other catastrophic failure that wasn't the result of modding the engine.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone
:O
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

It can with some love.

Now is the time in this car's age when decisions are made on dollars, not love. For me, replacing an engine in an SVX worth $1500 is not even a question. replacing suspension parts, brake and fuel lines (not that I've needed to yet) are a no brainier.

A lot of people would look at a 13 year old car and say "time to get a new car" but not me. I'll have my SVXes until they stop making gas.

I'll be that old guy with the CNC shop in his basement that the neighbor's talk about. "What's the old guy up to now?" "Ah, he's just making a part for some car with weird windows from 50 years ago..."

Doug
Agreed, although I'm gonna even try to convert it to the next fule assuming its hydrogen or something else the stock engine can be adapted to. Otherwise I might even give thought to a new engine if no other fule was avalable. Just to keep the design and styling alive, even if the engine is new. This is one design that does not deserve to die off like most others will.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:01 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:

It can with some love.

Now is the time in this car's age when decisions are made on dollars, not love. For me, replacing an engine in an SVX worth $1500 is not even a question. replacing suspension parts, brake and fuel lines (not that I've needed to yet) are a no brainier.

A lot of people would look at a 13 year old car and say "time to get a new car" but not me. I'll have my SVXes until they stop making gas.

I'll be that old guy with the CNC shop in his basement that the neighbor's talk about. "What's the old guy up to now?" "Ah, he's just making a part for some car with weird windows from 50 years ago..."

Doug
AMEN!!!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 02-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Just throwing my hat in the ring...

My feeling on looking at hte car from an engineering perspective is that it should last a DAMNED long time if well taken care of. Mine is over 130K now (96) and is still a damned reliable car. Now, I've got some problems, but they seem to be more sensor problems than actual engine problems. The performance of the car hasn't changed in the last 15K miles in any appreciable way, and I've not had a significant failure other than my oil seals blowing on the highway (frustrating, but noticed before I ran dry of oil so no engine damage from it).

The SVX is a superbly engineered vehicle... and Subarus in my experience are incredibly reliable cars. A friend's dad up until recently owned a 1983 or 84 Subaru that had over 200K on the clock, and once in its life had been picked up and tossed several hundred feet by a tornado... not to mention run off the road into a ditch more than once. Sure, it looked like crap, but even as of two years ago I sat in it, turned the key and it fired right up after sitting unused for 3 years. Makes ya think...
Old 02-21-2005, 02:00 PM

Over at the ultimate subaru measage board there was a guy with a old turbo 1.8 with orginal clutch, origanal turbo, and origanal engine at around 240,000 miles. And the turbo was almost within spec . My dads 90 legacy 5spd, awd went 350,000 miles, before it lost the compresion rings, and 4th gear, and it dident like 2nd. I then drove it school and back and put about 1000 miles with cam seals out of the engine, then we drove it to the junkyard and got $200 U.S. for it. That car never let go. It still had the origanal starter and power stearing system, engine, trannie. Amazing car, it still drove very nicley besides the smoke screen it produce before we drove it to its death.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM

two of my friends own 90 legacy awd wagons.

1: five speed, 218K on the clock, he drives the sh!t out of it and it comes back for more. last week i was with him and we were shmobbin on this crazy trail and we nailed this ditch..
BAM! it sounded like we broke the suspension..
it just bottomed out, popped the tire, and hurt his pride
we kept shmobbin with the spare (not the best idea but whatever, not my car!)

2: automatic, rear drivelin missing.
225K+ runs really well. once again, treats it like crap, doesnt change oil properly, things still smashes!

Granted these arent SVX;s, if the vehicle has a history of care then the sky (and the wallet) is the limit, as with any car, i suppose.

Subarus are some seriously beefy vehicles. Fuji Heavy Ind. knows their beef.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:23 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:

It can with some love.

Doug
5spd conversion in beat up SVX....CHECK
low milage motor...........................CHECK

looks like im full of love dosnt it? p.s. let me know when it comes time to buy that CNC machine, ill have to pitch in
phil