Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2004, 03:36 PM
JackieBeans

New Tires

Okay without wasting a lot of everyones time - I am soon going to be looking for a new set of tires for my first SVX that was purchased in Jan 2004. I have the stock wheels on the car, and have begun my tire investigation process. Does anyone have any experience with the Sumitomo SRIXON4 Tire? It seems like a reasonable value at 77.00 a tire from Tire rack, and they have a pretty good rating (incidentely, I am going the all season route unless I can get my hands on another set of wheels. . . hint, hint. . .). So with all of that - what good and bad tire experiences has everyone had. . .
Old 05-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

My $0.02...

I haven't had to replace tires on my '96 SVX yet, but my friend who owns an '03 Evo VIII switched to Sumitomo HTR+ (Ultra High Performance All-Season) last September and has only +ve things to say about them.

His AWD Evo has a lighter weight, bigger tires and more power than the SVX - factors which are bad in snow - and he had no problems driving in over 2" of snow this past winter.

These tires run $69 at TireRack.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-10-2004, 04:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You'll find plenty of tire opinions if you simply search for the word 'tire.'

I am on my second set of Dunlop D20A2s on the SVX. Next year, when they're worn out, I'll probably put something summer-only on the car.

I will definitely look long and hard at Sumitomo. I have a set of HTR-200s on my Justy for autocrossing and I'm pretty happy with them so far. They've offered me fantastic grip, but then the car weighs next to nothing. After two events they're still very soft and they're not wearing in any unusual ways. I mean, the outside edges of the tread blocks are rounded off, but go figure.

They've been very good in the wet, but we'll see how they do as they wear.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-11-2004, 06:37 PM
nnjsvx

Smile

I have Yokohama AVS db S2 on my 94LSI for the last 7,000 miles and had the non-S2 on my prior SVX's and like them very much. This new set is a little louder than the prior ones but much better than the new Sunitomo's that were on it when I bought it in May 03 and sounded high hum. Car was in the shop for months being restored.

I am geeting a little older now and do not much corner pushing anymore so I may go to a touring tire next time around just for the road noise.

I know the tire rack prices look good but suggest you compare fully delivered and mounted prices versus a local tire dealer price. My local guy has beat tire rack most times over the past many years and when higher was only a few dollars more and I get free rotation for the life of the tires from him.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:49 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I've had Sumitomo HTR+ tires on my car for a bit over a year. Excellent grip on snow, good grip on dry ground, but loud compared to the Dunlop Sport SP5000 tires that were on the car before. My next set of tires will likely be the Toyo Proxes 4. The first reviewers are saying that handling is excellent, and the tire is quiet.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:31 PM

I don't like the Toyo Proxies 4. Have'm on my car...too loud.

Try the Conti Extremes, a few local members have them (including Earl), quiet ride, great traction, long tread life. They will be my next set of tires.

At Tire Rack, they are $91 each.

edit: sorry...not Proxies 4, but FZ4

still....after one bad experience, why take another chance of getting screwed

Last edited by manofmayo; 05-11-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
How long have you been using Proxes 4? The tires have only been out a few months and all the reviews I've read said they were quiet.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:58 PM
tmaslar

I have a set of the Proxes 4's on order. I will be mounting them on the stock rims. I will post my impressions when I get mounted.

Tom
Old 05-12-2004, 12:09 PM
SorelyVeXed

After lots of research, I just put Kumho ECSTA ASX tires on my 1992 Pearl. So far, I love 'em. Excellent grip (for an all-season), quiet, and very little tramlining. Inexpensive too. Dealing with the cretins that mounted the tires, however, was another story. Let's see, wheels mounted backwards, over-torqued lug nuts, one sheared wheel stud.... Yeah...gotta love America's Tire Company
Old 05-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tmaslar
I have a set of the Proxes 4's on order. I will be mounting them on the stock rims. I will post my impressions when I get mounted.

Tom
Tom,

You'll love these tires! After 2 sets of the Yokohama AVS db's, I find that the Proxes 4 are much more responsive in both wet and dry handling and are quieter than the Yokohamas ever were. They provide an extremely smooth ride and are supposed to be beter in the snow as well.

This was my original post with links to reviews
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ht=toyo+proxes

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .