Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-07-2004, 09:25 AM
erhoffman

My two most challenging issues...

Two more issues that I'm plagued with:

1) The front CV boots are both torn. Should I replace just the boot or the entire axle? The independent shop I take the car to indicates that replacing the boot itself is nearly the same price as rehabing the entire axle. Thoughts?

2) Nobody in the Southern California area seems to know how to align the front wheels. What are the specific settings that work best. The insides of the front tires were wearing, now the outsides are almost bald after having the alignment redone. I know this car historically wears tires in a strange way due to the AWD.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
If it was my car, I'd just replace the axle. When the boots tear, they let dirst and water into the joint and that just turns the grease (what doesn't fling out) into an abrasive grinding paste.

It's unlikely you caught the tear quickly enough to prevent this from happening, so the damage is pretty much done. Just getthe axles replaced.

I actually did catch a rear axle boot very quickly, and I did just replace the boot. It's been fine since I did that in early 2000.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-07-2004, 10:27 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
tire wear

I've personally owned 15 Subarus, ( that I can remember) 1 front wheel drive, and the rest awd or 4wd. This not counting parts cars or the ones just bought to resell, and I've only had to align two cars! One because my then-wife hit a curb, and my 92 maroon svx, first due to inner tie rod end replacement, and again to a bad alignment. Evan tire wear has allways been a Subaru strong point! Please have someone who can give you a before and after printout, and go with the factory specs. Tom
ps; go with the new/rebuilt axles, it's money well spent.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Re: My two most challenging issues...

Quote:
Originally posted by erhoffman
Two more issues that I'm plagued with:

1) The front CV boots are both torn. Should I replace just the boot or the entire axle? The independent shop I take the car to indicates that replacing the boot itself is nearly the same price as rehabing the entire axle. Thoughts?

2) Nobody in the Southern California area seems to know how to align the front wheels. What are the specific settings that work best. The insides of the front tires were wearing, now the outsides are almost bald after having the alignment redone. I know this car historically wears tires in a strange way due to the AWD.
1) Just replace the whole axle with a Good rebuilt one or new one.
As far as the alignment goes, look elsewhere, there are many shops with good 4 wheel alignment racks, and if you can't find one is SoCal, I would be very surprised.
2) your problem is not alignment, its tire Under-inflation.
I just went thru the exact same issue. My shop checked the alignment, and the machine also tells them I need 39lbs in the fronts and 36lbs in the rear on my stock wheels and tires.
The ride gets a little stiffer but it will make your tires last, and wear properly.
I think there may be a thread about tire pressure, I will look, and if not, will post one.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 05-07-2004, 12:47 PM
erhoffman

Do you have the details on the factory specs for the alignment?
Old 05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

alignment specs

primary angles caster l+r 4.1dg min to 5.6dg max
front camberl+r -1.2dg min to 0.3dg max
toe -0.10dg min to 0.10dg max

rear camberl+r -1.4dg min to 0.1dg max

thrust angle ---

secondary angles
sia l+r 16.0dg
included angle 20.0dg
Old 05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: alignment specs

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
primary angles caster l+r 4.1dg min to 5.6dg max
front camberl+r -1.2dg min to 0.3dg max

rear camberl+r -1.4dg min to 0.1dg max

thrust angle ---

secondary angles
sia l+r 16.0dg
included angle 20.0dg

Please tell me how you adjust "Rear camber" if there are no camber bolts in the rear ............... You can get rear camber bolts but they are not stock... I am running -1.5deg in the front and about -1.0 in the rear because of the Koni/GC setup... Nope, I don't have camber bolts in the rear... The suspension sits so low though that the wheels sit at about -1.0 degrees and as ya corner they hold VERY nicely because the contact patch in the rear holds pretty evenly...Ya know, the more ya press the suspension down the more "camber" you're gonna get... Anyway... Just my input... If ya have a stock suspension though, have a Subaru dealer do the alignment... They should have all the specs onfile for ya there... If they dont then they are teh Suck!!!...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-07-2004, 07:37 PM
There's a storm coming.

alignment spex

Green Marine, Hey sailor, It's 9:06, I'm on my 4th margarita, I left the alignment specs on my desk at work. Maybe I misspoke, (actually now that expression sounds kind of dirty) this photo might clear things up.

OK,OK it's now 9:34 the fifth margereta iss now long gon and its sleepytim now
Old 05-08-2004, 09:26 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by erhoffman
Do you have the details on the factory specs for the alignment?
Of the specs that svxfiles listed, only front and rear toe and front camber are adjustable on a stock SVX. The other values are listed to provide a means to tell if the suspension is terribly out of alignment and/or damaged. If you want to have adjustable rear camber, many alignment shops sell camber bolts that fit the SVX. Speciality Products Company part# 81260.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.