Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Question College choices

Well, I have an important decision coming up, and I though that I would ask you all what you thought. I got accepted into my two top choice colleges, being Kettering University, and Iowa State University... Pretty much opposites in almost all regards, except that they are both great schools for engineering (specifically mechanical engineering, with a firm love for automotive engineering) Kettering is in Flint michigan, which frankly kind of scares me, and is a Co-op school, in that you don't have summers, you go to school for 3 months, actual industry job for 3 months, back and forth for 4 years. Iowa state is the traditional college, with all the "college life" experiences typical. Its also in iowa... Its big school vs small school, only on like 10 other levels too... I'm soooo confused. Any experiences with either one?? or tips on how you made the decision? (i don't want to be flipping a coin come may first)

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 02-18-2004, 01:49 AM

I never had a choice like this last year when I applied. Mainly because I only applied to one place. I got in but it was too pricey for my parents, (around 28k per) so I took classes at my local community college. Of course as you may know I have enlisted in the Coast Guard, mainly to gain money for college while I'm in and for when I get out. But that's besides the point.

Have you visited either? Does the cost of either affect anything? Will going to the "normal" college get you out any sooner/later than attending the other one? Are you into sports, does that make a difference? Distance from home? All of these questions could partain to you. I would say, just ask yourself as many questions as you can, and decide yourself. If you end up in a tie, then I say flip a coin. I'm sure there's some things you like more/less about each one, so narrow down your main goals and priorities, and figure it out from there.

Personally,now after attending a community college, I would probably pick Iowa State, only because I never really experienced the "college life". Kettering seems to cater to more on the job kind of experience, which is a good thing if you want a little head start on what you'll be doing after, but the whole lifestyle would be different. That's just my opinion though, this is a big choice so think about it thoroughly before you make your decision.

I know you'll pick the right one for you, and if you dont, hey, you can always transfer. Good luck in whatever you choose to do though, it's a big step!

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 02-18-2004, 05:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Drivemusic,

All other things being equal (money) , I suggest you visit both campuses and get the 'feel' of each school.
I went to a traditional 4-year college and lived at home because of money issues. I would have liked to have gone away and lived on campus, but could not afford it. I don't regret it. You just have to make the most of your available resources.

Mechanical Engineering has changed alot since I was in school. In 40 years, we have gone from slide rules to computers and from drafting boards to virtual reality caves.

I hope you have a great career. Maybe you'll wind up on a space station or a design studio on Mars.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:00 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

PM SVX10 (aka Mat Wright). He's an SVX owner and a Kettering student. We've also got another Kettering student here, but I forget his name.

Flint-scary Maybe you should got to Iowa

Todd
Old 02-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I spent my Freshman year at Iowa State as a Mechanical Engineering student and, other than the snow into April, have good memories of the year. That said, I did come back East and finished my ME degree at U of MD, College Park.

Couple of things to consider about Iowa State:

1. It's in Ames, Iowa ... not exactly a hot bed of activity, but then again you're going to be surrounded by fellow college students.
2. The campus is great - I was in Helser Hall - didn't have more than a 10 minute walk to any of my classes
3. It gets really, really cold in the Winter -- there were several -100 deg F (including the wind chill) days during my stay
4. While I was there they operated on a Quarter system, which meant you got to go through "finals" three times a year instead of twice a year. I don't know if this is still the case.
5. When I was there (okay, 1979 ) the only competitive team they had to watch was the wrestling team. They've now got fairly good football and basketball teams.
6. I agree with Larry as to making a visit - one of the major reasons I left (and I had an Uncle and Grandfather who both got their engineering degrees from Iowa State) was that they hadn't put any $$ into the ME facilities - there was equipment out in the halls and ME had all of the old buildings. They had put all their facilities $$ into the EE and Aero disciplines. I didn't want to get to my Junior year and find myself trying to work with outdated lab equipment.

Hope this helps
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-18-2004, 12:28 PM

depends on what you are going to college for??

the experience of going to college (ie parties )
the educational experience? (yeah that boring book shiot)

do you learn better with small classes or bigger?

look at the teachers and their histories

taylor it to your learning

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
thanks guys!... Pretty much i think i could learn in either place, (although the outdated facilities is something i'll have to look into) I've visited Kettering, and i'm going to iowa state soon. but heres a little bit about me. I'm the type of student who doesn't like doing menial day-to-day homework, but can still get A's on the tests when it counts. I used to play soccer, but have knee injury which doesn't allow me to play. I do play the sax, which i would LIKE to get a minor in jazz studies, which would only happen at iowa obviously.
Kettering
Small, with a 9:1 student to faculty ratio
total of 6 buildings
any program i wanted to be involved with, i would be able to be
Brand new $42 million dollar engineering building
Great facilities, dorms (all singles, with fridge, microwave and such), labs, everything
6 BUILDINGS... TOTAL
in Flint
close to Detroit and canada... a?
75% male also
would be able to drive, and keep my car there
only about 1200 students on campus at a time (my highschool is bigger)
Iowa State
~23000 students, of which about 55% are male
less actual students in the ME program
In Ames... nothing special, but basically a total college town
close to Des Moines
more recognized name OUTSIDE of the automotive industry
cheaper... after scholarships its probably about a $7,000-$10,000 difference (although with the co-op at Kettering, you usually earn about $10K a year)
Typical dorm rooms
Offers the ability to take acoustical engineering classes, which i think is cool
"college experience" with the frats and parties and all
nicer campus thats more than 6 buildings
one building in 1985 the other 2 have been built in the past 3 years
BOTH
both are known for ME degrees
about 5 hours away, although in opposite directions. (perfect distance i've decided)
Both don't exactly have tropical climates, although Ames is probably warmer

oh i don't know at least i'll have to find a special coin to flip... can't be just ANY coin

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Go Cyclones!!!

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Hater

go to whatever one is cheaper.

Alan (student loan payments for about 3 more years )
Old 02-18-2004, 04:47 PM

I've attended small colleges and big colleges, and a couple in between. My vote, for education & understanding of the material, would be to pick the small school. There you can interact with the profs as people, not with a TA. TA's are usually carrying a heavy class load themselves and have little time for the many students they teach in the basic courses.

Of course I have to admit I went back to school after getting out of the Air Force - and my heaviest party "daze" was over by then.

One more pitch: To make it in most any tech discipline it REALLY helps to have understood calculus and physics 101. You don't want to have to try and figure out the math at the same time as understanding the material properties. Best of luck - I once had a prof tell me (after listening to my whine) that there was plenty of time to sleep AFTER I got my degree (same one as above).

And to lighten up, a really bad joke from an optics class: Holding the book closer to a source of illumination will not shed any more light on the subject.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: