How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Paxton71

Broken rear diff?

I think I broke the spider gears in my rear diff.

A couple of weeks ago, I gassed it turning right and WHAM-kickinthepants from the rear. I thought (think?) It might be the transfer clutches slamming instead of clutching the power to the rear.

It did it later that day on a left hander. It was a long left under power and I think it went WHAM-thunk thunk thunk. Not fast enough to be wheel speed so I think spider gear.

I can't get up my driveway. I know the rear isn't pulling(pushing).

Come on...Give me some ideas/experience team! I don't WANT to take it all apart, but I am willing.

Thanks, Pax.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Sounds like a broken diff to me Steve My SVX did that with the first tranny, I ended up putting the FWD fuse in and driving it that way for almost a year.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Paxton71

Broken Diff

Thanks, Zep. I'll wait for the post telling me to look under car when spinning the front tires to see if the driveshaft is turning. If it isn't then look at the transfer clutches Mr.Pockets style.

If it is, then I think I broke the diff.

I'll pull the fuse and check it out later.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Broken Diff

Quote:
Originally posted by Paxton71
If it isn't then look at the transfer clutches Mr.Pockets style.
Yeeeeaahhhh...that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Really, it sound like a rear diff to me. Sorry, man. Here's to a quick recovery.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Green1995SVX

I have a spare rear diff. PM me if you're interested in buying it.

Mike
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Paxton71

Not the rear diff :(

Well I have the SVX about 18 inches off the ground.
It makes it easy to get in and out of the car. I highly recommend this for all SVXs.

Up on stands, car running in 1,D or R, rear driveshaft does NOT spin! Shouldn't they?

Spin a rear wheel by hand and the driveshaft spins. So I don't think it is the rear diff.

When in PARK, should the car lock the rear driveshaft as well as the front? I don't think so.

I don't get any POWER light code flashes.
I think this means Duty sol. C is OK.
Also, The factory manual says that duty sol. C fails in AWD mode, not in FWD mode.

This means
1: no hydraulic pressure
2: something in the rear transfer case is broken. Funny because there are NO bad noises.
3: transfer clutches are shot. There used to be some "tight corner breaking" in the car. I think that means the transfer clutches were not disengaging correctly. I'm guessing trashed transfer clutches.

Tranny fluid change= waste of time?

I read Larry's great post. I think that sol. C and/or a clutch pack will fix my xfer case problem. Time is the big problem. Full time school (masters) plus full time job = not a lot of play time.

I have 2 spare xfer cases for my Toyota 4runner. Should I swap in the gear drive or the chain drive t-case!? J/K

Last edited by Paxton71; 01-22-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Not the rear diff :(

Quote:
Well I have the SVX about 18 inches off the ground.
It makes it easy to get in and out of the car. I highly recommend this for all SVXs.

Up on stands, car running in 1,D or R, rear driveshaft does NOT spin! Shouldn't they?

Spin a rear wheel by hand and the driveshaft spins. So I don't think it is the rear diff.

When in PARK, should the car lock the rear driveshaft as well as the front? I don't think so.

I don't get any POWER light code flashes.
I think this means Duty sol. C is OK.
Also, The factory manual says that duty sol. C fails in AWD mode, not in FWD mode.

This means
1: no hydraulic pressure
2: something in the rear transfer case is broken. Funny because there are NO bad noises.
3: transfer clutches are shot. There used to be some "tight corner breaking" in the car. I think that means the transfer clutches were not disengaging correctly. I'm guessing trashed transfer clutches.

Tranny fluid change= waste of time?
No I didn't think it was the diff.

Ill go for option no 4. the C solenoid has failed mechanically. You wont get a code because the electrical signal is ok, but the .solenoid is stuck in the on position. Pull the back off an replace the clutch plates and C solenoid.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Re: Not the rear diff :(

Quote:
That's what mine did too.. I think mine was transfer clutches. When I got my new tranny put in, the solenoids were shot from the dealer, so they put my old solenoid pack into the new tranny and it worked fine.

But if it is your solenoid pack, you should be able to get one cheap. With all the 5spd owners here now, someone must have their old tranny laying around with a solenoid pack they could sell to you, or let you borrow to help you narrow down your search!

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/