How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-29-2003, 05:01 PM
deruvian

Question Really, really rough start

This morning it was awfully cold out (I'm now in the Sierra Nevada foothills for a little vacation), and something pretty strange happened when I started my car. It started ok, but the RPM's struggled a little bit directly after starting and the car started shaking violently for about 5 - 7 seconds. The issue cleared up after that, and the car drove just fine. I also noticed this same thing happening (but to a lesser degree) on cold mornings in Southern California, and also when the car hasn't been driven for a few days).

Yesterday morning, and later in the day today, the check engine light came on for about 45 - 60 seconds. It went away after that, and drove fine both during and after the light was lit up.

Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe the TPS

Thanks a ton!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Green1995SVX

If you got a check engine light, it's very easy to determine your problem. Take your car to the local subaru dealership and have them hook your car to the select monitor. They shoudl be able to tell you what, exactly, is wrong.

Mike
Old 12-30-2003, 07:33 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Might want to try cleaning the throttle body, I had a very similar problem about a year ago and cleaning it fixed it. It could also be your MAF is dirty/loose, a loose vaccum hose, or the TPS.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You can also pull the code yourself.

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/codes/engine/

Have you checked for exhaust leaks?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:06 AM
deruvian

I'll try pulling the codes in the next few days (that's a pretty handy little trick... thanks!).

I just had the heatshields checked/fixed and the exhaust resonator cut out by a local muffler shop. They had never seen an SVX before, so they were looking up and down the entire exhaust system, as well as marveling at the giant muffler, but didn't find any leaks.

It was actually kinda humorous: One of the guys asked if it had a rotary engine. I jokingly said, "Yeah, it's a 3.3 litre rotary with 700 horsepower." He thought I was serious until I spoiled the joke by telling him the truth Perhaps I should have lead him on...

As for the TPS, I've seen the how-to. However, is the job really as daunting as it sounds? Or maybe the wording in the how-to just makes it sound daunting... Anyway, does everybody find that checking the TPS is pretty simple? I might give it a try this weekend.