Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Aredub - I don't really mean rain upon anyone's parade. If it feels good, do it; as the saying goes. I just feel that the new shoe really smells good, until you've stuck your feet into'em for a week. I see so many of the younger generation hung up on the idea of "must be new", then get stuck with insurance costs & monthly payments that preclude any kind of social life. Those of you born into "old" money may disregard these comments. Also cars last a lot longer now than those of yore. I remember when a vehicle was considered dangerous if it exceeded the 100K mark. "It's gonna blow any day now, Martha"!
NEW just doesn't have impact it once had. I remember, as some of the other more senior members may remember the days that NEW cars were shrouded in secrecy, with tarps covering them as they were transported under darkness into the dealerships to be unveiled with fanfare & girls jumping out of cakes. A 1959 Cadillac was a 1959. Not a '59 & 1/2 or a '60 special edition - early release. It's a little like Christmas starting after Halloween, & endless sports playoffs. You can't really tell what's truly new anymore.
There - now I feel better. Ron.
Ron, you didn't rain on my parade. That car was my very first, absolutely brand spankin' new car. I bought it for the wife and kids. They'd run around in so many rust buckets and POS's that it was fun to give them something new, and reliable (mostly -- I know how "new" goes these days). But, I'm one of those people who drives a car til the wheels fall off. So far, not an ounce of trouble in the 110K on the van. I'm pleased, and it's paid for.

I definitely don't come from old money -- I started working (publically) at sixteen -- moved out on my own at 17 (prior to public work, I worked in tobacco and hay fields from the time I was ten).

I do remember the days of the "Grand Unveiling" and still wish it was that way. People keep jumping the gun. Check the shelves at your local K, Wal, whatever mart -- Christmas stock will start creeping in this month. My sister used to work at a Target store in Lexington -- the stock is already in the back room, they'll start filtering it in little by little to get a jump on the "Thanksgiving Christmas Rush." It's becoming disgusting.

Meanwhile, I continue to drive my "toy" that, I really can't afford but damn well deserve after nearly thirty years of "workin' for the man."

Sorry -- I got carried away in this post. Lots o pressure at work.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-20-2001, 11:40 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Ron, you didn't rain on my parade. That car was my very first, absolutely brand spankin' new car. I bought it for the wife and kids. They'd run around in so many rust buckets and POS's that it was fun to give them something new, and reliable (mostly -- I know how "new" goes these days). But, I'm one of those people who drives a car til the wheels fall off. So far, not an ounce of trouble in the 110K on the van. I'm pleased, and it's paid for.

I definitely don't come from old money -- I started working (publically) at sixteen -- moved out on my own at 17 (prior to public work, I worked in tobacco and hay fields from the time I was ten).

I do remember the days of the "Grand Unveiling" and still wish it was that way. People keep jumping the gun. Check the shelves at your local K, Wal, whatever mart -- Christmas stock will start creeping in this month. My sister used to work at a Target store in Lexington -- the stock is already in the back room, they'll start filtering it in little by little to get a jump on the "Thanksgiving Christmas Rush." It's becoming disgusting.

Meanwhile, I continue to drive my "toy" that, I really can't afford but damn well deserve after nearly thirty years of "workin' for the man."

Sorry -- I got carried away in this post. Lots o pressure at work.
Consider yourself "pressure treated". Old money is what your kids'll have. Just think if the computer industy did YEARLY "Unveilings". Maybe the bugs would crawl away.... Nah!!! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:52 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
I think that if I HAD to buy a wagon, the only one I'd even think about would be the Audi Allroad Quattro. That's about the only wagon that I don't find hideously revolting, well that and a AM Hummer wagon.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:19 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

If I could afford an Audo Quattro, I'd get a Volvo Cross-Country.

Nope. Not in this life.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 08-21-2001, 09:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Quote:
If I could afford an Audo Quattro,
you and me both
Old 08-21-2001, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Damn ovlov's.

JK they are really nice cars.

Ryan

On a second note...how in the world did this thread get so long! I suppose is one of those can of worms type questions, like what oil is the best.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-21-2001, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Oh i just had to put in another one...that's 400 for me!

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-21-2001, 10:43 AM

and you ask how this thread got so long?