How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-22-2002, 09:10 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Please help w/rear suspension noise

Hey, I have a question, its not about the SVX but i know some of you guys are mechanics and might now my answer. I'm driving a plymouth acclaim while I save up funds to get my car fixed (might be soon) on monday the rear of the car started making a high pitched tink, like a spring breaking under pressure, or like fishing line breaking only louder, every time the rear suspension flexes. At first it wasnt too bad doing its two to four times every time the suspension flexed, now it is doing it countless time every time, sounding more like a high pitched creek than an individual tink. Any ideas on what this is? I crawled under the car and i seemed to locate it around the spring area but I studied it for at least a half hour and found no sign of damage, but when im inside the car it sounds like its coming from the opposite side, or maybe even the middle of the rear. I'm getting very frustrated especially considering that its not even my car.

Last edited by I_Alcyone_I; 11-22-2002 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:13 PM
I_Alcyone_I

oh yeah, not sure how important it is, when i jack the car up even from directly under the spring its makes the noise a couple times, but when i let the car back down it doesnt make the noise again until I push down on the back of the car with all my wieght. also, if i dont push down on the car and it wont make the sound while jacking it up again.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Springs?

When a coil spring is compressed or unloaded it will twist or rotate on both ends of the spring. I believe most springs are clamped on the ends to stop this twisting rotation if the mounting plates they sit in do not rotate. This "tinking" or creaking sound you hear could be the release of "sticktion" as the spring rotates slightly in it's mounts. If it has clamps on the springs one or more could be loose enough to allow slipping and could be the cause of the sound. Since most "tinking" sounds are metallic in nature the springs would be my guess as the swaybars and rest of the suspension are mounted in rubber bushings. At least that's where I would start looking. I'm sure others with more experience than I would be able to agree or disagree with this theory.

I could say something about Mopar quality but I will resist the temptation

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Doubtful the spring is the culprit unless someone has had them out and placed them back on top of dirt or debris - I've seen that cause the spring twist/noise you're mentioning. It's a very rare situation and almost never occurs without R&R plus dirt. Very few springs are clamped down (and of those, they're only clamped on one end - as far as I remember) as they would break without the 'room' to twist.

I've reached critical mass on remembering specifics about various car models some years ago but I believe the Acclaim has short springs with rubber cushions, at least on one end of the spring. It could be that the rubber cushion has deteriorated enough to allow the spring to push through and contact metal. However I'd be more inclined that it's a worn out shock or bushing.