Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2002, 10:33 PM
svx92

Question Hose(s) installation...?

Hi there,

Do we need to flush all the radiator fluid (antifreeze) when we change the upper hose? And should I change the lower hose at the same time or wait until it leaks like the upper one ...

btw, did anyone try the hoses kit from motorsportwarehouse? Does it worth to upgrade all the hoses with that kit? And does that kit have all the hoses neccessary ?

Thanks for any help.

Tony

Last edited by svx92; 10-10-2002 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:58 AM

I would recommend changing the lower hose at the same time. If your upper hose started leaking, the lower one is bound to go soon too. I personally do not like getting stuck on the road because I tried saving a few $ on repairs. The experience is just not worth it. If you do change it, then the coolant replacement/flush is just part of the process anyway.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:23 PM
svx92

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
I would recommend changing the lower hose at the same time. If your upper hose started leaking, the lower one is bound to go soon too. I personally do not like getting stuck on the road because I tried saving a few $ on repairs. The experience is just not worth it. If you do change it, then the coolant replacement/flush is just part of the process anyway.

Matt
Well, thank you very much for your comment, Matt. I completely agree with you at these points.

Actually, I ordered both the upper and lower hoses. And I might get them tomorrow. I planned to replace them myself, but I had no experience in doing this. So, if we can replace the upper one without draining the whole fluid I will start with the upper one first ( to gain confidence ) then the lower latter. I just dont want to mess everything up or blow my new radiator when I have not got familar with such job .

If not I may have to bring my car to the shop to have it done, (especially when it is not safe to be out door for a long period of time in the Washinton DC area these days )

Hmm...still wonder. If I find it simple to do I may do it. I really love to be able to take care of my baby myself .

Tony
Old 10-12-2002, 04:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
It's simple. Basically take off the clamps top and bottom, dump the rad fluid, put on the new hoses and new radiator, then fill with 50/50 solution of anti-freeze/water. Idle the car for 5 min at 3K rpm with the heat on. Let it cool overnight and top off in the morning.

-mike
Old 10-19-2002, 06:16 PM
svx92

I did it ...

I did it this morning...and I did change the oil and oil filter too. I used MObil full Synthesis oil and Fram X-2 oil filter. So far so good!

Thanks a bunch, Mike. Yeah, it's pretty simple, not too complicated as I thought. . Thanks.