How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-02-2015, 04:41 AM

Registered SVX
CREE LEDs in an SVX?

I bought a set of CREE LED headlights to put into my SVX. I also bought the load resistors just in case I might need them. Put them in with and without the load resistors and nothing, can't get a single lumen. Has anyone tried this? What am I missing? My 94 SVX does not have daytime running lights and with the load resistors you would think that they would work just fine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX
Re: CREE LEDs in an SVX?

Well first off, I will say that you should NOT install those LEDs in your stock projector housings. It has to do with the optics of an LED vs. an incandescent bulb. The "shape" of their outputs is different and replacing a bulb with an LED (or HID) will not produce a 1:1 increase in lighting.

If you install the LEDs (or HIDs) you will be throwing less light at the road, where you need it, and more up into the night sky, into other motorists eyes; basically all the extra light output will be wasted.

You can retrofit modern LED (and HID) projectors into the SVX headlamp housings. THIS IS THE ONLY LEGAL WAY TO DO THIS. HID retrofit kits are illegal to install on a road-registered car and if you read the fine print, they SHOULD say "for off-road use only."

Just an FYI.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM

Registered SVX

Talking to my friend that does HID installs the HID's will work in the svx head lights because the projectors housing are the ones you need. If that makes sense, its the chromed plastic reflector housings that dont work with HID's because of how the light is dispersed.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:37 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
Talking to my friend that does HID installs the HID's will work in the svx head lights because the projectors housing are the ones you need. If that makes sense, its the chromed plastic reflector housings that dont work with HID's because of how the light is dispersed.
This sounds right to me. Projectors capture all of the light behind a lens and so should be more conducive to bulb type changes than reflector headlights, which are very sensitive to the exact location of the light source.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 09-03-2015, 02:08 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post

Nope, false, 100% full stop, do NOT pass Go, do NOT collect $200. This statement is completely wrong and uninformed. You need to go back and correct your friend, because he is spreading misinformation worse than Fox News. He may be a damn fine HID installer, but a physicist, he is not...

Sure the SVX has projectors. So do the 2006-7 WRX and STI. However, the WRX uses halogen bulbs while the STI uses HIDs.

Those two cars share the same housing, but the projectors are different, go ahead and measure one of each. I'll wait... Like I said in my previous post: the reflector or lens is designed for the specific light source that particular application uses.

Halogen bulbs use a straight, coiled filament to produce light. This produces a straight, rectangular light source.

HID bulbs have two electrodes and pass a current from one to the other. This creates an arc or "arch" shaped light source.

An LED uses a diode to produce light which is neither long and straight, nor an arc, it is a single point, like a period ".".

Can you see how using an identical reflector or projector with all these different shapes will cause the light produced to become scattered and unfocused?

Daneil Stern Lighting: Thinking of Installing HIDs?

Retrofitting Xenon or LED - Can It Be Done?
Old 09-03-2015, 02:09 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Moar links!

Are HID Kits Legal or Safe

Can I use HID bulbs In My Halogen Car?

VIDEO: Why You Don't Install HIDs In Your Car

Last edited by SoobCrazy; 09-03-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 09-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I sent mine off to have the HIDs installed. It wasn't cheap and they project like the picture of the HIDs with the proper projector cutoff.

I copied someone else doing it. Sent off to Canada. Like it a lot. If you're interested, I'll dig up the details, especially since you live in Wyoming, too.

You bring my Wyoming SVX count up to 6 that I've seen, which is not a comprehensive study at all.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Whats the best 9006 bulb for our cars. Was looking Nighthawk Platniums.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-05-2015, 04:36 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
In my experience, Nighthawks burn out very quickly and are not worth the extra expense. I bought a lot of them and was lucky to get 3 months use before burnout.

I just got my big $12.00 cheque from the class action suit against Sylvania.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Silvania's.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
In my experience, Nighthawks burn out very quickly and are not worth the extra expense. I bought a lot of them and was lucky to get 3 months use before burnout.

I just got my big $12.00 cheque from the class action suit against Sylvania.
Highthawks are made by GE.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

I like HIR bulbs. Pop right in, no rewiring etc. necessary. Not high watt (and high amperage) so they don't stress the wiring and housings. Great light output. And they last a very very very long time. I had a set for the high beams in the STi for 10 years and over 100K miles. It's possible to replace the low beams and high beams in the SVX with these.

Rallylights sells them. Great folks.

http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/light-bulbs
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM

Registered SVX

Thank you for all of the responses. Housing and beam efficiency aside can anyone tell me why these will not illuminate? I understand that most say I SHOULD not use them but why will they not work period? I should also state that I have already purchased some Sylvania whatevers (new greatest thing above silverstars) for high beams and cut out the tabs and installed them in my low beam projector housing which is working fantastically.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:51 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe79916 View Post
Thank you for all of the responses. Housing and beam efficiency aside can anyone tell me why these will not illuminate? I understand that most say I SHOULD not use them but why will they not work period? I should also state that I have already purchased some Sylvania whatevers (new greatest thing above silverstars) for high beams and cut out the tabs and installed them in my low beam projector housing which is working fantastically.
They are choosing not to work to keep you from being "that guy." Stop doing illegal things with your lights. DO a retrofit and bask in the awesomeness of 100% legal lighting upgrades.

(I'm starting to see how Uncle Scotty over on NASIOC got the way he is today... kiddie bois and all... )
Old 09-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Registered SVX

Everything's legal in Wyoming. Don't you watch cowboy movies?