Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX
Got some money, want some power+stick

Hey guys...not the first time I'm asking about this but this time I actually want to do something about it!
My parents are very unhappy with my motorcycle, so I'm selling. I'll have 8-10k for some upgrades to the SVX to keep myself from falling asleep on the road!

Right now I have three goals:
>Manual transmission
>~400hp
>a rear biased SVX!

For the manual, what should I buy to have a rear biased power distribution? Do the 04ish STI trannies handle 400hp? I don't want it to be bulletproof, just reliable enough at a cheaper price. Not going to be shifting and launching like Honda drivers!
I personally love Toyota transmissions...is a Toyota swap possible at all? (sry if it is a dumb question)

Power is probably the easiest to achieve! Will it need to be cammed for a single turbo?

Anything else?
Thanks
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Got some money, want some power+stick

Please use the search function. Especially in the mod mania subforums.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 PM

That's a small amount of money for a lot of power on a uncommon car with next to no aftermarket support....

You'd be much better off getting an Impreza/Outback/Legacy and doing an STI swap into it. You'd need more than $8-$10k to build the SVX engine up to being able to support 400HP, let alone make that much.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

I have actually done quite a bit of research. Software and injectors give 300, right? After that you cam it for less compression, turbocharge, and minor rebuild. How much more is there to it?
Doesn't seem that much power for a 3.3! That's just ~120hp/l, so unless the whole thing about the EJ33 being bulletproof is nonsense, I don't see how it's gonna cost that much! (did I mention that I'll be doing it myself?)
How about the thing about rear bias? Do any of the STI's do that or will I be better off removing the front axles and locking the center "diff"?
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
I have actually done quite a bit of research. Software and injectors give 300, right? After that you cam it for less compression, turbocharge, and minor rebuild. How much more is there to it?
Doesn't seem that much power for a 3.3! That's just ~120hp/l, so unless the whole thing about the EJ33 being bulletproof is nonsense, I don't see how it's gonna cost that much! (did I mention that I'll be doing it myself?)
How about the thing about rear bias? Do any of the STI's do that or will I be better off removing the front axles and locking the center "diff"?
STI 6-speeds with DCCD are rear-biased, and very strong, but far from cheap. The USDM 06 STI DCCD 6-speed is, IMO, the best option. It has a newer style of DCCD from the earlier ones, but retains the internal oil pump, which is absent from the newer ones. The gearing is also pretty well matched to the EG33.

Read through my turbo thread and you'll get a feel for the expense/challenge of getting more power from the EG33. The first thing to consider is engine management, which is discussed to death in the turbo thread linked in my sig.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Software and injectors will give you nowhere near 300hp. Just ain't gonna happen. Not to mention that the EG33 is an open celled engine with very thin walls, so good luck getting massive amounts of boost to not grenade the engine...
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Doesn't seem that much power for a 3.3! That's just ~120hp/l, so unless the whole thing about the EJ33 being bulletproof is nonsense,
The EG33, just like many other engines are basically bulletproof stock. When you start sticking boost into an engine not meant for it, that is running high compression, it will grenade, especially without the proper tune. That has nothing to do with the durability of an engine.

And good luck with injectors and software giving you 300hp... you clearly haven't read even half as much as you think you have...

Last edited by 1986nate; 05-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Need mo4r popcorn!!!

Tom
Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

You guys know why I don't come here more often? Because you guys are not the nicest guys one would meet on a forum!
You all should go to a motorcycle forum and learn how you should treat someone who might not know as much as you do!

And thank you, icingdeath88...always a pleasure seeing a comment from the-guy-with-the-fake-carbon-fiber-stick-shift-avatar!

There are two 06 DCCD's on ebay for right around 3k! I'll see if I can get the power easily, and if yes, I'll do it!
If it is as much work as these absolute professionals claim it is, then I'll get a newer and faster motorcycle instead! Not going to spend 20k to make a slow vehicle slightly faster! (no offense to anyone, I love my SVX but it's slow, even with 400hp)
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM

I think we are all more than sick & tired of people trying to turn the SVX into what most people expect out of a Mark 4 Supra or Gen 3 RX7. It's nothing like them, with a non-existent aftermarket scene. It will never have the parts or tuning options that those cars do, nor will it make as much power as either of them while remaining reliable and daily-drivable.

Stop trying to make a hotrod SVX, it's never gonna happen. Save that car for someone who appreciates it. Like I said, buy an Impreza/Legacy/Outback and do an STI swap on it. Much more common, much larger tuning scene, much more power options (400+HP is a walk in the park).
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

My comment/meme was borderline mean and offensive. In all seriousness, there have been quite a few enthusiasts with some pretty hefty goals to make the SVX into something very fast and unique. Upwards of 15-20k have been spent getting it to break past the 13 second 1/4 mile mark doing the labor and tuning themselves. 400 HP would not be slow, if you could get build the engine to sustain the amount of power reliably.

A motorcycle will probably always be one of the fastest things on wheels.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by reberto View Post
I think we are all more than sick & tired of people trying to turn the SVX into what most people expect out of a Mark 4 Supra or Gen 3 RX7. It's nothing like them, with a non-existent aftermarket scene. It will never have the parts or tuning options that those cars do, nor will it make as much power as either of them while remaining reliable and daily-drivable.

Stop trying to make a hotrod SVX, it's never gonna happen. Save that car for someone who appreciates it. Like I said, buy an Impreza/Legacy/Outback and do an STI swap on it. Much more common, much larger tuning scene, much more power options (400+HP is a walk in the park).
What are you talking about?! 400hp is not something you expect out of a Supra or an RX7! 120hp/l is a light tune for either of those! Just because you are too much of a wuss to try it doesn't mean nobody else should! I wanna tune MY SVX to 400hp, have fun with it for 20k miles, ****ing the engine up, then get another one and do the same! How does it affect your life? Just help me out an enjoy someone else achieving what you can't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
My comment/meme was borderline mean and offensive. In all seriousness, there have been quite a few enthusiasts with some pretty hefty goals to make the SVX into something very fast and unique. Upwards of 15-20k have been spent getting it to break past the 13 second 1/4 mile mark doing the labor and tuning themselves. 400 HP would not be slow, if you could get build the engine to sustain the amount of power reliably.

A motorcycle will probably always be one of the fastest things on wheels.
As far as I've seen on this forum for 2 years, most people have goals of keeping it reliable and daily driveable! I don't have that goal! So far, I've driven it for less than 5k miles, and it will be the same story after the tune!
So you know, even if it takes a lot to get it to reliably support 400, it shouldn't if you only expect 20k, with no serious racing involved!

I know a motorcycle is faster, the goal is to make the SVX faster than a freaking stock miata!
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
You guys know why I don't come here more often? Because you guys are not the nicest guys one would meet on a forum!
You all should go to a motorcycle forum and learn how you should treat someone who might not know as much as you do!
Obviously you've never been on NASIOC...
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 05-23-2013, 05:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
Obviously you've never been on NASIOC...

I see what you did there