How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-31-2010, 11:45 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Pictures of my NEW Camshafts

I too noticed the internal snap-ring, but did not know what to make of it. Rifle-drilled eh? They should be exceptional . I was worried for you at first (in light of shotgunslades cam failure). Then I realized that they are not cast iron. Very nice work indeed.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I too noticed the internal snap-ring, but did not know what to make of it. Rifle-drilled eh? They should be exceptional . I was worried for you at first (in light of shotgunslades cam failure). Then I realized that they are not cast iron. Very nice work indeed.
Thanks Cam, yeah shotguslades' issue is what scares me the most with welded/reground cams.

I mean the idea of welding on OEMs for high performance/high stress applications was never logical for me to pursue a similar thing, which lead me to search for someone who can manufacture brand new ones instead. After 3 years of searching, I am happy to have found and accomplish that.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Registered SVX

I agree with you it can be risky, but I would argue that the cam breaking was from an imperfection in the cast rather than from the process of welding and re-grinding. Either way though, cast iron is bad when it shatters. If I remember correctly, those cams that shotgunslade had were very aggressive. Yours look pretty dang steep there. What made you decide to go interference?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I agree with you it can be risky, but I would argue that the cam breaking was from an imperfection in the cast rather than from the process of welding and re-grinding. Either way though, cast iron is bad when it shatters. If I remember correctly, those cams that shotgunslade had were very aggressive. Yours look pretty dang steep there. What made you decide to go interference?
Yes they are steep. Well when it comes to spending that kind of money I thought what the heck, let me shoot for the max possible. As calculated by the cam manufacturer, this profile is the safest on a 33mm bucket. Beyond that it will be risky.

And what is the problem with interference engines? All sports cars nowadays have interfierence engines, i.e Nissan Z and others..

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Nissan Z
Timing chain, not belt. Not a fair comparison.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Interference smearance. You want to make power you have to push the limits. Can't expect to score a goal sitting on the bench now can ya

After our initial email there Dan I am very pleased to see these in form here. I apologize that I'm so damn difficult to get ahold of here, lol. I'd be interested to know what types of hardening processes they use or have available. The likely hood of having cams made by them for my motor is good, especially since the price is right and my sister lives in Switzerland :lol
Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Yup I know. Please revert to THIS THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
Interference smearance. You want to make power you have to push the limits. Can't expect to score a goal sitting on the bench now can ya

After our initial email there Dan I am very pleased to see these in form here. I apologize that I'm so damn difficult to get ahold of here, lol. I'd be interested to know what types of hardening processes they use or have available. The likely hood of having cams made by them for my motor is good, especially since the price is right and my sister lives in Switzerland :lol
Not a prob Adam. Let me ask them for you.

So now we have two questions:
1- Supply cores alone. (Still need to know info from Rallybob if after hardening or before... and other details..)
2- Hardening process.

BTW... what does smearance mean?

Last edited by SilverSpear; 07-31-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:

BTW... what does smearance mean?
Smearance rhymes with interference. It's a colloquial saying to rhyme something when it's not a big deal when it's better to thing of the big picture.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Smearance rhymes with interference. It's a colloquial saying to rhyme something when it's not a big deal when it's better to thing of the big picture.
Thank you Tim

Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:

So now we have two questions:
1- Supply cores alone. (Still need to know info from Rallybob if after hardening or before... and other details..)
2- Hardening process.
Having had billet roller cams made before for other engines, I've had them 'rough ground' and heat treated, then had the cam grinder do the finished work. If too much material is left on the lobes the cam grinder will grind right through the hardened layer of the metal.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Ok guys, here is the answer:

"Dear Dan,

I am answering your questions:

1 - Manufacturing process is:
- buying black rolled bar
- turning and drilling
- rough milling of lobes and otrher milling operations
- heat treatment
- grinding of lobes and journal
- thermochemical treatment outside...

2 - We do not sell cores without the final grind.

3 - Please note that drilling the cams will not be free of charge. We did your set since it is the prototype but this will cost 100 $ extra for one kit."

Now me:

"Hmmm...

A lot of people are requesting to buy cores until the heat treatment stage. I wish you could sell cores alone, a lot of people are asking for this.

Can you also please consider drilling them for free? People need to be induced to buy from overseas...

Dan"

Then them:

"We can't sell cores, because after grinding the lobes, camshaft must have thermochemical treatment.

The price you and your friends are having is excellent, no one will give you any lower for those cams. Sorry I couldn't offer any lower price, we can give a discount and drill camshafts for 70 $ extra. Please notice it takes more and precise work for us."

Well I tried guys...

Please note that Poland's currency fluctuates a lot, and in consquence price of cams. At one time it might be lower and other times it will be higher...

Last edited by SilverSpear; 03-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yup I know. Please revert to THIS THREAD
Yea, but still, man. Even with one of the super durable ones, you can't be sure that nothing will go wrong. Anyway, I'm sure you know that, though. You're a big boy and I'm sure that you don't want people questioning your decisions.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yea, but still, man. Even with one of the super durable ones, you can't be sure that nothing will go wrong. Anyway, I'm sure you know that, though. You're a big boy and I'm sure that you don't want people questioning your decisions.
Man, check the famous XX-tuning impreza (Rallybob? Assistance with that?) it is an NA EG33 engine with more lift than mine... it turned out to be OK.

And yes, no one can guarantee 100% safety even with chain belts (wanna hear the story of my old Merc?). Risk is always there, I know and I appreciate your concerns. What you can do is minimize risk to the lowest possible..

Also I would like to mention the EG33 that is used in the drag racing car. I used to have a picture of it but lost it. I don't think he was able to convert the belt into a chain. The maximum he could do it a stronger timing belt and a new tensioner (as I will be doing).

Keeping fingers crossed

Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

Quote:
Every good Honda DOHC VTEC motor from 1990 until the k20 (2002) were all interference and all had timing belts. have you seen the cams people put in those things?... interference motors didn't start because they made the timing chain to keep them safe. Heck, timing chains are probably used more for spacial reasons (overall engine package size) than for any other reason. For pretty much any car tuner, dealing with an interference motor is just a fact of life.

BTW, Congrats on the new cams, i would love to build an eg33, just don't think it will ever happen.

Last edited by StatGSR; 08-02-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
... And how long did it take to have them made?
Speaking of time, they sent me an email today telling me they have prepared two sets of semi ready cores (8 cams) ready to be machined according to desired profile.

Just thought to let you guys know if you need a kit soon.