Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2002, 11:24 AM
PWA1X

Question Parts for my SVX in the UK?

Where can I source parts (preferbly low cost!!!) for my SVX that I have just purchased. I need brake pads, exhaust gasket, and front steering gaiter. Would be a bad idea to check up on rear wheel bearing prices whilst I am it as well!

Apart from the above bits and a silly electrical fault, starting the car does not turn start motor over just clicks, then on 2nd or 3rd go happily starts! Also warning lights flash on and off like a christmas tree ocaisonally. Any ideas? The car as you can see is very nice indeed for 85000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my svx.jpg (55.8 KB, 215 views)
Old 08-10-2002, 12:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Very nice car. Hope to see it in the flesh at our next meet.

Cannot help with spares. Only know of my Subaru dealer, who is very pricey and leaves a lot to be desired on service.

Let me know if you find a good mail-order source.

Andy
Old 08-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
PWA,
Welcome to the Network. I sorely wish we, in the States, could start a parts exchange with you fellows across the pond. Some are finding that parts ordered from www.subaruparts.com or 1stsubaruparts.com are less expensive (including cartage and customs) than what can be found there.

The warning lights flashing, in the older models, was an indication that your security system batteries were low, and it needed to be re-programmed. This feature was "upgraded" here in the states to avoid battery drain. If your remote batteries are still good, you may just try reprogramming the security system.

I too have the little "starting glitch" you've described, in my newly purchased 2nd SVX and it's beginning to show itself in my original SVX. I'm suspecting the contacts in the A/T shiftlock system. If you have the push button release above the shift leaver, you might try releasing the lock and running the selecter from P to N and back again on the first "Non Start" and see if it helps. Then, you can be almost certain of the cause.

Again, welcome. Come back soon and post often.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 08-10-2002 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Boone

Re: Electrical Fault

Quote:
Originally posted by PWA1X
... and a silly electrical fault, starting the car does not turn start motor over just clicks, then on 2nd or 3rd go happily starts! Also warning lights flash on and off like a christmas tree occasionally. Any ideas?
Welcome also. Nice car. If you hear a clicking then I doubt it's the interlock. I would suspect the starter solenoid or cables/connections. This would also go with alternator/charging problems or worn drive belts if the warning lights you speak of are the ones above and below the gauges. Boone
Old 08-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Green1995SVX

PWA- I noticed you have the headlight washers there. Where is the buttom located to operate them? Also, could you perhaps provide a closer view of your headlights? They appear to be the glass assbys. Thanks, and welcome to the network!

-Mike
Old 08-10-2002, 02:05 PM
PWA1X

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the websites you have directed me to look good - I may well order from them and ship to my father in TX who is due over here in October.

Back to my flashing lights though. I have retensioned the belts today to manufacturers specs, and completely cleaned up the battery terminals as these were not too nice! Whilst the random flashing does seemed to have improved things - it still lights up the battery, stop lamp, brake fluid & antilock red warning lights whilst driving along (usually driving around town and not on high speed roads?) and will clear as I accelerate! I know the front brakes are almost worn out and if they have wear sensors then no doubt they will be sending messages back to the cpu to illuminate warnings.

Starting is still click click click and then starter motor fires... click does sound like a solenoid - and during clicks the battery is under heavy load as dash lights dim loads!

ps how do I know if the rear wheel bearings are shot - I do have a gentle low level rumble (changes frequency with road speed).

Thanks Once again

Paul
Old 08-10-2002, 02:10 PM
PWA1X

Headlamp & Washer

Picture attached. Switch next to rear window defogger on dash behind wheel. I hope this helps.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlamp.jpg (16.2 KB, 355 views)
Old 08-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
As for the flashing dash lights I'd be almost willing to bet money it is the alternator. I've had the lights stay on in my car and the solution was to improve the connection of the plug to the alternator.

About 2-3 months later though the lights started flickering. I had the alternator bench tested and it tested bad. One alternator rebuild later and everything is ok now. It's been running good for almost a month now.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:08 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Headlamp & Washer

Quote:
Picture attached. Switch next to rear window defogger on dash behind wheel. I hope this helps.

Paul
WOW those lights look *AMAZING*

-Mike
Old 08-10-2002, 10:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Oh, THOSE lights <smacks self in forehead>, yes, I concur with David. You're likely going to need an alternator. You could try switching batteries with someone who has one the same size as yours and see if it helps. If the battery posts were as bad as you say, it could be your problem.

For some reason, when you said "flashing lights," I thought you meant parking lights. In the "early days" they were set to flash to remind you that your security system needed to be reprgrammed.

Yes, the rumble will change with speed and will get louder as the bearing deteriorates. Sounds like you have a snow tire on the offending wheel.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-10-2002, 10:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Starting is still click click click and then starter motor fires... click does sound like a solenoid - and during clicks the battery is under heavy load as dash lights dim loads!

Well, BOTH my SVXes are experiencing this phenomena now. My wife called me on the way to a friend's house and told me the car wouldn't start. Before I could tell her to try releasing the shift lock and moving the gear selector to N then, to P again, someone had her jump started. This is really annoying. Having two, practically identical, cars with the same problem.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-10-2002, 10:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Electrical Fault

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone

Welcome also. Nice car. If you hear a clicking then I doubt it's the interlock. I would suspect the starter solenoid or cables/connections. This would also go with alternator/charging problems or worn drive belts if the warning lights you speak of are the ones above and below the gauges. Boone
One fellow has had this problem for a while. He had a new battery installed and had TWO starters put in. When he tried to start the car at Reading III, it sounded JUST like a starter solenoid problem, BUT, like I said, he'd already had the starter changed TWICE, and the battery replaced. As far as I know, he still has the problem.

One fellow had a like problem and it turned out to be the ignition switch. The knockoff bolts had become loose and wasn't allowing the switch to contact correctly. Tightened the switch and problem solved.

These cars, unfortunately, don't fit the usual mold.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Boone

Paul,
It's possible your alternator isn't giving you clean DC voltage. Best to test with a local shop. I've heard the limeys invented electricity. For the rear bearings, take a drive with the rear seat down for a better ear on it. Boone aka Dave

Randy, we just heard the question differently. There is another answer to your starting mystery. The crystal ball says cables, connectors, grounds....

Last edited by Boone; 08-11-2002 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Paul,
It's possible your alternator isn't giving you clean DC voltage. Best to test with a local shop. I've heard the limeys invented electricity. For the rear bearings, take a drive with the rear seat down for a better ear on it. Boone aka Dave

Randy, we just heard the question differently. There is another answer to your starting mystery. The crystal ball says cables, connectors, grounds....
Yeah, I'm doing the "cables connections grounds" route. Of course, I spent yesterday cleaning up the evil twin. Which, of course, means IT'S FREAKIN' RAINING ALL DAY TODAY. Since I have no garage, I can't work on the darned problems. I REALLY don't need this right now. But, as always, thanks for being there for me, Dave. You are an Isle of reality in a sea of a fantasy filled with trouble-free SVXes.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-11-2002, 02:13 PM
Boone

Aw shucks Randy. No man is an isle... he's a peninsula. (where was that from?) I'm gonna take my bare feet out on this nice day and polish my trouble free SVX.