Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 10-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
New Car and New Garage

I think the SVX has seen its last track days. Did a 2 day DE session at Pocono in late May and had severe overheating problems. Car ran very well and was very fast, but blew coolant after every session. Between travel and vacation and belated delivery of my new car, my only track time this summer was a 3-day racing school at VIR with Bertil Roos in June. The school uses Formula Fords and they are a real blast. As a lightweight rear drive car, they are a good prep for my new car, which is finally done except for some suspension tuning. Here are some pics.

Right Front

Left side

Interior

Has a Honda F22 engine (S2000). Weighs about 1100 pounds without me. Hope to get it registered as street legal in NJ. Have had some conversations with MVC and I think I have everything I need. The funny screen around the exhaust is the required heat shield. Won't last very long after I get my tags. There is also a detachable windshield assembly with wipers not shown in these pictures. Don't know if the kinks will be ironed out in time to get it on the track this year.

Also have a new place to put it. A new 3 car garage that my wife and I designed (I'm an architect/engineer and she's a commercial interior designer). We designed the main house and had it built about 10 years ago. That is the SVX under cover next to the garage. Not yet sure what I want to do with it.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 10-18-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: New Car and New Garage

I hope at least one of the bays has a two post lift!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-19-2008, 02:47 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Car ran very well and was very fast, Here are some pics.
SCHWING!!!!!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
I hope I get at least one of the bays has a two post lift!
-Bill
Had you only stayed in school and gotten a GOOD job....
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Maniac modifier

Dan, thats NICE!!!!! I may have to come visit soon and check it out in person... Take care and hope to see you again soon

Tom
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele

Looks great, but I don't see the hoist in these pictures.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

That grass looks horrible! Nice shed you got there! Would like more pics of it please!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

This has probably left the realm of competition, since it is about the garage, rather than my new track car. But , responding to the posts. I don't have the lift yet. I plan to get a 42" rise semi-portable lift, but I need to give my bank account a rest for a while. This was all about celebrating my 60th birthday and my daughter's graduation from college (end of tuition), and I'll need a while to be able to afford the lift. Fortunately, everything on the track car is accessible without the lift, except possibly the engine bottom end and transmission. My wrenching skills are sufficiently weak that if that is necessary, I'll have to trailer it to the nearest Honda dealership (engine is stock F22, 240 hp).

I designed the garage using engineered wood beams. So there are no columns. Clear 25 ft by 32 ft space. Had a poly-aspartic/poly-urea floor sealer put down on the slab. There is a loft upstairs that is currently unfinished. No need for the space; this is all about resale value (I think it is better than the stock market). But I will put a ping pong table up there.

Close shot

Front the back yard, looking across walkway into open garage doors

Loft

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 10-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

To keep this legit. Here are some shots from June 1 this year Pocono NASA DE event.

Driver's meeting. I'm at the far right, conspciuously gazing off into space.

On this corner, I have really missed the apex and am about to get eaten by the Mustang and whatever that other car is.

Finally, I got a break and it started misting rain. All of a sudden, I was one of the faster cars on the track. The guy in the Prelude behind me is a buddy with whom I have been carrying on a competition for a couple of years at DE events. He had recently found a lot of speed and was cleaning my clock, but when the rain came, he was damp toast.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow

Smartest decision ever... You are going from overweight and underpowered to overpowered and underweight... Should be a helluvalot of fun. I just moved out to the Lehigh Valley, PA area and am looking to get some tracke events in early next year. I'm about 35 minutes from Pocono so we'll have to hit an event together sometime.

Nice car, nice house, and nice garage.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Nice Locost Dan. With the Honda F22 engine that should be a beast!

Love the garage. Congrats on your daughter's graduation!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Dan,
VERY nice - car, garage ........... AND car!! I have always wanted one of those, and the S2000 engine is perfect! Be sure to keep us posted on how it does on the track.

You will enjoy too the size of the garage. Pleanty of room for a workbench on the wall in front of the car.

Hate to see you getting rid of the SVX, but you have a fine replacement!! Be sure to let me know when you get back to Summit Point Raceway (only 30 minutes away from me!)(

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Harry:

Not necessarily getting rid of it. Just deferring some hard decisions. I need to either have it restored or sell it. Probably won't decide for a year or so. Just drive it for fun on the street from time to time. The pull thru the gears and the sound of the exhaust note still gets my juices going. Plan to be in Summit Point May of next year, depending on track schedules. Will definitely look you up then.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Harry:

Not necessarily getting rid of it. Just deferring some hard decisions. I need to either have it restored or sell it. Probably won't decide for a year or so. Just drive it for fun on the street from time to time. The pull thru the gears and the sound of the exhaust note still gets my juices going. Plan to be in Summit Point May of next year, depending on track schedules. Will definitely look you up then.
Dan,
Understand. Be sure to give me the dates you will be at Summit a bit ahead of time. It would be great to get together for dinner in addition to seeing you at the track ....
Later,
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Harry:
Will do.
Dan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: