Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 10-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Watkins Glen Weekend

Weekend before last I did a 2 day DE event at Watkins Glen. It was the second time I've been to the Glen and it is definitely one of my favorites. Everybody says, "It's a big fast race track," and it's true. It's 3.4 miles, 11 turns and a chicane. Top speed in my car, right before the chicane is about 120 mph. Below is a track map. The NASCAR races use the short track, taking the shortcut and leaving out the part of the track they call "the boot." There is a lot of elevation change, particularly on "the boot".

Saturday was a good day with great weather, but it was marred with a number of incidents. Below is a picture of one of them. This guy's Z06 was supercharged and intercooled with maybe 800 hp at the wheels. This guy's license plate was "Devil Z." After his first session, his instructor refused to ride with him, because he wouldn't follow instructions. On the warm-up lap of the second session, on the exit to the first turn after pit-out, he gave it way too much gas and, then, straight into the guard rail. It took 45 minutes to repair the guard rail with additional expenses to "Devil Z' of about $2000 for the repair. I heard two instructors discussing the incident later. One said he didn't know whether the incident started in the entrance to turn 2 or the exit to the turn. The other looked at him and said "I think it started in the womb."

I did OT's "$20, 20 minute" mod before I went to the track. I think it made a big difference in turn-in transitions. Particularly at the chicane where it's a quick right, then a left that you hold to catch both inside curbs, then back right again to exit back on to the straight. The transition seemed a lot smoother than the last time I was at the Glen. I recommend the mod highly. Here is a shot of me about to be eaten by one of the ever-present Evo's. Evo's and C-5 Corvette's are by far the most popular cars at the events I've been at recently. Both give you very big bang for the buck.

Sunday was a completely different experience. For the first time in my motorsports career, I did RAIN. Eighteen track days, and they have all been dry. It is a different experience. Rain demands smoothness, roll on the throttle, roll off the throttle, roll on the brake, roll off the brake, even quick turn-in's should be started slowly, so as not to break loose the tires with the initial movement. I had a couple of squirrely moments, but nothing dramatic. I think that getting the slight additional camber on the rear cured any tendency to be tail happy. The one time the back end started to come around, when I overcooked the entrance to turn 1, while the course was damp, a momentary application of counter-steer was all I needed to get it back in line. Unfortunately, others weren't so lucky, and we had another series of incidents. The worst in my group involved a 996 GT3, which lost it under braking in the wet and did a header into the guard rail just before the chicane. Both air bags popped, and becaue the instructor was wearing a closed face helmet, the airbag gave him quite a jolt. He spent the night in the hospital for observation. I came up just after he hit and there were pieces of Porsche all over the race track. Did a very strange line into and through the chicane to avoid hitting any big pieces. Here is the money RAIN pic:

As always, I got some great rides from instructors during their sessions, a C-6, a race prepared Camaro with a very good driver, a 997 Carerra S, a 944 Turbo also with a great driver, and a race prepared Integra R. Toward the end of the day, the track dried, and my last 2 sessions were terrific. My instructor signed me off to solo. Below is a pic of me being followed by a friend. Note the empty instructor's seat. My friend said he wanted to follow me around for a couple of laps to look at my line. Then he got bored and blew past me. All in all, a great weekend, and a great way ot end the season.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Talking

Watkins Glen brings back a lot of memories. My Dad & a couple friends (The Holder Bro's) campaigned a Porsche 550 Spyder for many years on the East coast circuit in the early 60's. Some character named Stirling Moss was the guy you had to outrace back then. I even remember the days of hay bales and the actual race being run through town which had it's share of risks to drivers and spectators alike. Great to see the SVX on that track & sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. Drive on guys!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Yeah, I love the Glen. I have 13 days on that track in my Porsche. Needless to say, unless you,ve converted to a manual, I don't think I would drive the SVX there - the auto is just not crisp enough to be sure you are in the right gear at all times.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dan,
Have I told you lately how much I hate you?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

No need to hate me. Anybody can do this. I didn't start until I was 57 years old. YT did his first one this year, after I badgered him about it, and I think he'll be back next year for at least one. There is a new group in your area called Trackdaze that has started doing DE events at Summit and VIR, and they are pretty reasonable, like $350 for a 2 day event. Calculate the cost per minute of seat time. Autocross: $25 for 2 minutes (4 runs at 30 secs each) HPDE day, $175-250 for 60 to 90 minutes. Maybe I'll see you at Summit.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Last edited by shotgunslade; 10-25-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Bill:

No need to hate me. Anybody can do this. I didn't start until I was 57 years old. YT did his first one this year, after I badgered him about it, and I think he'll be back next year for at least one. There is a new group in your area called Trackdaze that has started doing DE events at Summit and VIR, and they are pretty reasonable, like $350 for a 2 day event. Calculate the cost per minute of seat time. Autocross: $25 for 2 minutes (4 runs at 30 secs each) HPDE day, $175-250 for 60 to 90 minutes. Maybe I'll see you at Summit.

Dan
Dan,
Hate in an envious sense only. 57 huh? Okay, so I've got 10 years to catch up I've got a trailer lined up, I just need to find a nice F250/350 or comparable to tow with (I'm considering an E250/350 so I can sleep in it at the track). Summit or VIR are both possibilities next year (no big mission proposals until the end of 2008).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

You know Bill, I've been considering selling the Green Behemoth lately. I'm torn between keeping it and buying a trailer and selling it and not buying a trailer

Todd
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

My plans for next year are to retire the SVX from the track except for rain. I will be trailering my WCM Ultralite to the track, using a 12 ft. aluminum open trailer that weighs about 700 lbs. To pull the combined 2000 lb. weight of car, tires and trailer, I intend to use a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon. Ultralite is under construction, trailer is speced and awaiting my order. Legacy wagon will be purchased in January or February.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
My plans for next year are to retire the SVX from the track except for rain. I will be trailering my WCM Ultralite to the track, using a 12 ft. aluminum open trailer that weighs about 700 lbs. To pull the combined 2000 lb. weight of car, tires and trailer, I intend to use a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon. Ultralite is under construction, trailer is speced and awaiting my order. Legacy wagon will be purchased in January or February.
Now you can hate him, Bill!

j/k
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Bill:

No need to hate me. Anybody EXCEPT WALLY can do this. I didn't start until I was 57 years old. YT did his first one this year, after I badgered him about it, and I think he'll be back next year for at least one. There is a new group in your area called Trackdaze that has started doing DE events at Summit and VIR, and they are pretty reasonable, like $350 for a 2 day event. Calculate the cost per minute of seat time. Autocross: $25 for 2 minutes (4 runs at 30 secs each) HPDE day, $175-250 for 60 to 90 minutes. Maybe I'll see you at Summit.

Dan

Fixed your post Dan, have a great time!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Now you can hate him, Bill!

j/k
Tom,
You beat me to it
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Fixed your post Dan, have a great time!
Ben,
You S*ck!!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
You know Bill, I've been considering selling the Green Behemoth lately. I'm torn between keeping it and buying a trailer and selling it and not buying a trailer

Todd
Todd,
What, you think I just won the Lottery? The Green Behemoth is waaaay beyond my $$ means until I get all three kids through college......which will be when I'm 60!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Ben,
You S*ck!!
-Bill
Ah but I must be able to drive. Just picked the racer up this am brought it back to the house and was able to unload it during morning traffic without the use of a clutch and without a driver seat!

It isn't a lot of fun having to make a 5 point turn when you need to shut the car off to shift gears!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:

Quoted for all-around coolness Awesome combo Dan. I'm rather envious. Congratulations on your new toys!!!

Todd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: