SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Sold. :'-(

A couple stalling/electrical issues.

Hello. (Yes, this is a new thread).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV, so I hope my descriptions are specific and accurate enough to aid diagnosis, and that my understanding of suggestions given will be acceptable.

I have a couple issues with my car, and was wondering what suggestions regarding diagnosis/repair you guys might have.

It's a '92 LS-L Touring AWD, with a recent automatic trans swap.
The swap included an external filter and dash-mounted temp gauge, and the radiator and plugs and a few other things were done at the same time.

What it's doing...If it's been sitting all day/night, it's fine. Once you drive it and park it, if you drive it again within the next few hours, it stalls and has difficulty restarting. More gas seems to help keep it going, but that's hard to do in an auto at stoplights, lol! I think I've ruled out bad gas, etc, and always run premium, so we should be OK there. The check engine light is not on, but I'm going to see if I can find someone to check for codes anyway, and I'm going to look for vacuum leaks and check the MAF. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Next problem; the dash lights (steering, brakes, ABS, etc) are coming on as if it's stalled, even when it's running. NO idea what would cause that, so ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Finally; those same lights dim and bright with corresponding high-low revs. I know this seems to be an electrical/charging issue, so I plan to look over the connections and the alternator. Any other advice greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU. I've recently been very frustrated with this car and several issues relating to it, and am even considering selling it and getting out of them altogether. But, I REALLY appreciate all the good people here who honestly try to help out and make this place such a great place to be.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0024.JPG (310.2 KB, 749 views)
Raxles front axles
Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Like I said in the other thread, the electrical issues "could" be causing the stalling issues. It's not likely, but to me it doesn't make sense tracking down other issues, when there is definitely an electrical issue.

I still think that the stalling is probably due to a bad MAF or vacuum leak, but until the electrical gets taken care of, it doesn't make sense playing with those items.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:29 AM

Registered SVX
You claim lack of knowledge. However all you have suggested is spot on and as has been mentioned in another thread, why advise regarding egg sucking.

I just had a look at your very nice photo. This immediately restored my belief that appearance wise, the SVX is hard to beat and even now after many moons, has not been surpassed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:44 AM

Thank you for the advice and kind words.
The information posted is mostly from the previous thread, not any real diagnosis of my own. I re-posted it so people would see what had been suggested so far.

That pic was from about a week ago or so now, and if I keep her, I think she's in good enough shape to be a candidate for a full restoration. Of course, the trans and everything that has ever given me an ounce of trouble would all get tossed, so I could start her with a clean slate. But, this is a ways off, and only if I change my mind about selling. I just really need a reliable daily car right now and need a break from the SVX drama, lol!

Thanks again!
Raxles front axles
Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yeah, I think solving the electrical issue by getting a diagnostic check at a parts store would help get a lead on things... if need be, get a new alternator and/or battery and then re-start diagnosis

Tom
Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Will do...That's the direction I think makes the most sense as well...
And Tom...Thanks again...For everything.
Raxles front axles
Old 08-24-2007, 01:16 PM

Ground wire beneath battery?

Check the ground wire just forward and on the bottom of were the battery sits. I had the same lights when the ground was loose/with corrosion. Also check the battery terminals.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 PM

Dunno if this will help but I had the following stalling issue:
No issues driving to work in the morning (engine was cold from sitting overnight)
Stalled like crazy at lunch time (3hrs after coming in to work, some heat left in engine)
No issues driving home in the evening (6hrs after lunch, engine was cold from sitting)
Got a MAF code, swapped MAF ($$$), immediately started getting coolant temperature sensor codes, swapped sensor (not too expensive), been running good ever since.

The multiple lights (steering, brakes, ABS, etc) you keep seeing is a classic symptom of your alternator dying. Its happened to me twice so far. Pull the alternator and take it to Autozone or some other store, they will test it for free.

Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:40 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Hot starting problems are usually a result of a broken Coolant Temperature Sensor.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-28-2007, 03:34 PM

**Update**

First, THANK YOU all for your continued help.

We were going to take it to AutoZone yesterday to have the alternator and charging system tested, and it DIED completely on the way there.

A friend who owns a body shop came with a jump box and we ran it on the box back to his shop.

I ordered a reman alternator from O'Reilly autoparts, and we're getting the alternator removed to go have them test it before I buy the one they ordered.
As a side note; these guys are AWESOME. They are very nice and helpful and are happy to special order weird stuff "in case" you need it, without obligating you to buy it. They also got the brake pad/rotor order right on my wife's Audi after AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts both screwed it up, so whenever I get the chance from now on, I'm going to these guys.

I'm working this week (M-W 7p-7a) so it'll be Thursday afternoon before I can get out there. In the meantime, where is the coolant temp sensor? I'm going to be looking for loose grounds, so I may as well check that out as well. I'm also going to remove, inspect and clean the MAF.

THANKS AGAIN!
Raxles front axles
Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 PM

The coolant temp sensors are at the rear of the engine, on the drivers side. They are under the back of the intake manifold. There are two of them right next to each other, one of them has one wire, that feeds the temp gauge on the dash. The other has two wires, this one controls the fans and fedds the ECU.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the info...Sounds like quite the job, lol!

Well, as we knew, the alternator was SHOT. New one's installed and we're back on the road. I'll find out on the way to work tonight whether the stalling was being caused by that or not. After tonight I'm off 'till Tuesday so this weekend, in addition to a good cleaning, I'll be checking the MAF (regardless) and seeing if I can find someone to help with the coolant temp sensors (if it's still stalling).

Thanks again!
Raxles front axles
Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
The coolant temp sensors are at the rear of the engine, on the drivers side. They are under the back of the intake manifold. There are two of them right next to each other, one of them has one wire, that feeds the temp gauge on the dash. The other has two wires, this one controls the fans and fedds the ECU.

would these sensors (if bad) cause the svx not to startup?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92svx95
Usually, they cause really troublesome hot starts. That is to say - the car, when hot, will have to turn over for a while to catch.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-29-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92svx95
Personally, Ive had it cause problems not with hot or cold starts, but with warm starts. When I try to start it after sitting for 15-30 minutes. But others have had it cause hot start issues.