Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
ECUtune Stage 1v5

Ok, Stage 1v5 is officially done. Dyno plots will have to wait until after I put the new race built transmission in but I can tell you now it's fast. I'm going to make some initial revisions to the website today so those who are waiting for it can order it and I'll make the more extensive revisions in a couple weeks when we have the dyno plots and I'm adding some of the other new products to the website.

For those checking into this thread who haven't been following along in the developments thread, Stage 1v5 is the first part of the new software line up I am working on to be released. I've taken all that we've learned in the development of the prior verssion of stage 2 and stage 3 software and moved it down to the stage 1 software. The stage 1 software is a performance upgrade which does not require the use of any other hardware modifications.

The ECUtune memory adaptor holds two sets of software on it which can be switched between on the fly. The stage 1v 5 software has performance fuel maps which let us run ignition timing maps which greatly improve peformance. The first set of software on the memory adaptor is tuned to get every last drop of performance out of premium unleaded. It runs significanly more ignition advance than the factory software under all acceleration conditions with no correction from the knock sensors being necessary either up or down. The second version of software on the memory adaptor has an ignition timing table tuned to run regular unleaded or nitrous oxide with premium unleaded. Performance with regular unleaded is smooth and quite good but not comparable to the performance with premium unleaded and the stage 1v5 software. The performance of the stage 1v5 software is vastly superior to both the factory software and the prior versions of stage 1 software.

The stage 1v5 software has the rev limiter raised to 7400 rpms and lower rpm tuning to greatly improve performance for cars which have been converted to manual transmissions. With the ECU wired to indicate the transmission is alwasy in the N position there should not be any problems with stalling when the clutch pedal is pressed or when the car is taken out of gear and the pedal is released.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:36 PM

Registered SVX
I'll be the first to say here,
'Outstanding'!
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
So, how does the performance of the Stage 1v5 compare with that of Stage 2v5?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Just some dude.

2v6 was the version where we made the jump into the better primary timing map. Performance of 1v5 and 2v6 are comparable--1v5 actually being better at low rpms with a manual transmission. Both would be much faster than 2v5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
So, how does the performance of the Stage 1v5 compare with that of Stage 2v5?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Registered SVX
Michael,

I think I missed it somewhere? Why was 7400 selected as the fuel cut-off point, and say, not rounded to 7500 rpm? What determined 7400?
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Stage 2V6 requires replacement of the injectors, correct?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 01-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Just some dude.

Way back in the day I asked everyone what rpm they wanted for the rev limiter and the consensus came back 7400; it's been 7400 ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
Michael,

I think I missed it somewhere? Why was 7400 selected as the fuel cut-off point, and say, not rounded to 7500 rpm? What determined 7400?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Just some dude.

No 2v6 does not require replacement of the injectors. That's the soon to come 2v7 software.

Quote:
Stage 2V6 requires replacement of the injectors, correct?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Right, so I already have Stage 2v6, because I know I have the last one before the injector upgrade. Still have minor 5MT stall, though, after I put the bypass back to OEM position. Notice that if I push in the clutch to stop for a stoplight at a relatively high rpm 2000+, it doesn't stall.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Just some dude.

I'm not sure what you are describing. I don't know if you are saying that if you are not in gear and and don't have the clutch held down it stalls but if you push in the clutch it doesn't stall....or if you are describing that you are decellerating in gear and that it's better if you press the clutch at a higher rpm than a lower. Not asking you to explain it in here...just saying I have no idea what you were saying. Next time I go to Miami and have the factory service manual in front of me I will look up the info on the inhibitor switch and wiring diagram and start a new thread on how to wire the ecu so that it thinks it's in N. It's no good to have the fuel and ignition cut off when the engine isn't attached to the wheels to keep it spinning. If wiring it to N doesn't work I'll make a seperate version of software for the manual transmissions. It should work though. Anytime I am in the fuel cut and pop my car into N the fuel cut turns off and the igntion goes back to normal--exactly for that reason, so the car doesn't stall.

Quote:
Right, so I already have Stage 2v6, because I know I have the last one before the injector upgrade. Still have minor 5MT stall, though, after I put the bypass back to OEM position. Notice that if I push in the clutch to stop for a stoplight at a relatively high rpm 2000+, it doesn't stall.

Last edited by longassname; 01-07-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I'm slowing rapidly for a stop light, to come to a dead stop, or slowing for a stop sign. At some point, I have to push the clutch in. At what engine speed I push the clutch in has a big impact on whether or not it stalls. If I push the clutch in while the engine is over 2000rpm, it doesn't seem to stall. Engine speed drops quickly to about 1100 rpm, then slowly drops down to idle speed. If I push the clutch in at about 1500 rpm, engine speed will drop rapidly down to almost 0 and it may stall or it may recover, and jump back up to idle speed. If I am slowing down more slowly and push in the clutch about 800 rpm, it will not stall,

Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Just some dude.

We'll discuss it in the mt fix thread after I start it. I'm having someone with an mt and a wideband test the wiring I'm going to suggest to make sure it does in fact prevent the fuel/ignition cut and then I'll start that thread.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Thanks. I am enjoying the car with the new chip. Stalling is much diminished compared with previous chips. Might spring for the cam kit when it is available.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Just some dude.

Don't take this post as a complaint about your mentioning the mt stall problem here; I just have to post this because when people who don't come on the forums regurlarly wander into a thread like this and read words like stalling isn't nearly as bad as with previous chips they think the chips cause the stalling.

The stalling he is talking about is a bug many people run into when they convert their svx from automatic transmisison to manual. It occurs on SVX's that don't have any of our chips in them. Our more recent software versions make them occur less often.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Agreed. A 5MT car without chips, even OBDII cars, such as Mychailo's suffer bad 5MT stall problems. I think the Stage2v6 chip probably helps the problem a lot. I can really tell the improvement of the chip compared with previous chips, which did not attempt to address the problem.